ad: M2Ant-1

A Bright Region Fizzles & A Dark Hole Looms: Solar Storm Forecast 04-05-2018

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Apr 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

A Bright Region Fizzles & A Dark Hole Looms: Solar Storm Forecast 04-05-2018

K5VZD, M1WML, N0ERO and 9 others like this.
  2. K2NED

K2NED Ham Member QRZ Page

fantastic update..... simplified the complicated. Hope you do this on an ongoing basis oh please.....
    Maybe you should get a spot on the weather channel..... you would fit right in !!!

K5VZD likes this.
  3. K2PMC

K2PMC Ham Member QRZ Page

I love it

4. W0CHL

W0CHL Ham Member QRZ Page

Great show, explaining why propagation has suffered lately!

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It hasn't suffered 'lately'. It has been horrible for almost two years. When the SFI hovers below 75 , its time to emphasize something else.

Happy times ahead....in 2023.

The only value in such 'solar weather' weekly reports at low SFI baselines is for auroral and VHF prop.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Read it and weep.

SFI of 66 is about as low as it gets...

Notice: POOR POOR BAND CLOSED, etc.

Solar flare probability less than 1%

So I am not sure why we need a 'solar weather' person, beyond the (reasonable) edutainment value... its not info that I can use, anyway, in my OTA activities.

I look at this table, look at DX Summit, and RBN. Usually I walk away from the rig and its incessant hiss.... I hate solar mins...

[​IMG]

7. N7LUF

N7LUF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not know what I can say, but since Jan. I have worked 106 countries with 3 new ones today.
    I am in Washington State and my antenna rotor is stuck and can only move 90 dreg.

VK6APZ/SK2022, VE7DXW, KI7VFW and 4 others like this.
  8. KB9RDS

KB9RDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Band conditions maybe low, but it is nice to see the lady explain why its low and what elements on the sun making it low. Hope she continues posting this info every week. Something to look forward to. Please keep posting.

K5VZD likes this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool if you enjoy it.

Chip W1YW

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...and if this had been 3 year ago, you would have done that in one weekend...

Face it: conditions are P &&& poor.
    ;-)

11. AE5GT

AE5GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I usually just turn the radio on...or look at the cluster. ..I dont really need to know why .

A bit to melodramatic for my taste but then i quit watching regular weather casts 10 years ago , to inconnvienent , information ends up being dated.

Hold on its another Coronal Hole ...I d better go wrap the water pipes ...they might burst, oh wait that was 4 days ago.

Professionally done , just not sure theres point.

I dont mind the solar mins its just different conditions.

VE7DXW likes this.
  12. BG9BKM

BG9BKM Ham Member QRZ Page

73 de bg9bkm

13. VK6DX

VK6DX Ham Member QRZ Page

The only problem is, now at my age (82) I am wondering if I am going to be around by the next time conditions become good. There are occasionally some rare openings and a EU or JA station breaks through 599 down under in Perth, Western Australia but you have to be on at the right time and the right place to catch em! Only recently looking back at my old logs for the 80s & 90s working the USA on 40 and 20 CW racking up to 40 contacts per session. They where full contacts too, not the Hi Bi stuff ( QSL 5NN QRZ? )
    Celebrate my 50 years VK6DX (1968) in June 2018: ex G3UJS 1965.

WD4DXQ and W1YW like this.
  14. WS4Y

WS4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Good presentation of bad news
    73 Bill WS4Y

W1YW likes this.
  15. K7YB

K7YB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NO, you can't work DX worldwide with 10 w and a dipole in these conditions, but I sure hear and work a lot of DX from Latitude 16.97. C31 with 100w and a Hex beam (only the 2nd one I've ever heard ) this past week. Bands aren't open 24 hours, but they are open. Her forecast and observations are most helpful. V31YB/K7YB