9Y4DG QSL any luck?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K2HAT, Jan 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Has anyone gotten a QSL card from 9Y4DG Dev recently?

I was hoping to get a JT65 contact confirmed.

I have sent 2 paper cards with SAE and $$ and also some emails, no joy.

:(

LOTW is sure nice, I wish more folks used it. :)

2. K0KB

K0KB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My card return rate despite green stamps and SAE is abysmal.

Seems many are in it just to collect a bunch of green. Surely joining lotw would be easier than QSLing the old way. There are only very few I will consider sending a card and money to any more and they have to be vetted. Pathetic that it has to be that way.

K2HAT likes this.
  3. K2HAT

I don't know for sure that the cards are making it to him, they might be getting stolen on the way for the $2-3 that is inside.

A nice alternative, that a few DX Stations are using, that do not want to do LOTW is they take Paypal for the postage fee.
    That is usually about the same cost as if I sent $ via the mail, and it does not get stolen/lost on the way there.

I have 7 paper cards here that I need to turn in for DXCC credit the next time I go vist the ARRL HQ in a couple weeks.

I have 2 Friends locally who could not get the LOTW to work properly, and I am their LOTW QSL Manager, they do use QRZ logbook so it is not too difficult to do.

73 K2HAT

4. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

Rumors I heard about 9Y4 cards were that on one side of the island the mail makes it, the other side of the island it does not. W0MLD commented on the fact that many are just in radio to gather green stamps. Yes, that is true, I have a few of those duds over the years that never responded with a card. When I first got on the air in 56 you qsled just about everyone, oh there were a few who did not for what ever reason. Way back in the AM days I worked one station VP5BL he never sent any cards out at all, to this day that card has never surfaced. In more recent times I got one contact with India on ten meters, sent a card, green stamps, nothing. In fact the op was never heard again, so who knows what happened?

In the last decade my qsl policies are if one is received, then I respond, I usually receive a load of cards from the bureau each year, or maybe twice a year. Once in a while I might be surprised by a DX station sending me a request direct. BTW six meter return rate is horrid and it was even worse on two meter SSB when I was working it as well. Last major opening on six I worked around two hundred stations, received cards from a dozen. Rest nothing, so we just let it ride, only one I really need on that band is KH6 and I have been looking for well over a decade.

Yes, things have changed, but we just roll with the punches, now if we ever hear P5 activated that will wrap up all the DXCC countries. Chances of it, well, slim to none and Slim left town. Of course miracles do happen, but then again?

K2HAT likes this.
  5. K4LRX

K4LRX Subscriber QRZ Page

Never worked him Lee, worked others on 9y4 same story.

6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to have pretty good luck with direct QSLing--I just got cards from 9H1XT and IS0XRB to complete my 160M DXCC!
    I doubt anyone has gotten Top Band DXCC that lived closer to the Golden Arches--I can walk to a McDonalds just 1/2 mile away!

I've traded cards with VU2TS (40 CW) in 2016 and 9Y4LDK (20SSB) back in 2015.

Zack W1VT

K2HAT likes this.
  7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Not that particular call, but I've got a bunch of 9Y4 confirmations on LoTW, etc.

I don't send money for QSLs but have contributed to some DXpeditions.

8. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I knew Dev when I lived there. He was a school teacher, retired now. I really don't think he is collecting your green stamps. Sadly there are some hams that do. However mail theft is not uncommon and despite being privatized and upgraded, TTPost is still very slow. A lot of these guys are also genuinely forgetful and there is a very casual attitude toward QSLing.

I would give it a bit more but if you need a band confirmed try 9Y4D. Chris uses LoTW and he is often on during contests.

The bureau officially exists but in practice is not operational. Cards make it to PO Box 1167 (TTARS) but they don't really send any out as far as I know. Most hams don't use the bureau.

Lee, if I ever make it back to TT I'll be sure to make some skeds with you... and my promise is to hand deliver your card along with a LoTW confirmation.

K2HAT likes this.
  9. K2HAT

Hello Ria,
    Thanks for the information. I had worked Dev on digital and was hoping to get that mode confirmed.

LOL hand delivery is not needed, but hope to see you at Sussex Hamfest again on 2017. :)

N2RJ likes this.
  10. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think are others who do digital modes. Leon 9Z4BM I think is one. He is reliable with qsling

K2HAT likes this.