ad: Radclub22-1

POTA, Support your Parks Plaque Event 2023

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Jun 8, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Its POTA Support your Parks Plaque Event 2023. I go to K-3051 Lake Ray Roberts for some Radio fun and hanging out with some friends Jason (Ham Radio 2.0 KC5HWB), Mike (K8MRD Radio Stuff), and Robert (W5ITR). Oh Yes and some radios too. This makes a prefect dry run for summer field day 2023. Swing by and check it out with us.

Frank L.

N4FZ, N3VAN, AA3C and 11 others like this.
  2. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

For easier satellite contacts try another LEO object, than the fast moving ISS. The more slower AO-91 can offer, when its reachable, a much wider window for a QSO. Reduces stressing and a small chitchat is possibel, too.

AA4NE, KG5AHJ, KO4CES and 1 other person like this.
  3. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This thing you call "chitchat." It is yummy?

4. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video Franklin!

KG5AHJ likes this.
  5. DO1FER

Whats to say against a short small talk, a glad chatt or a small conversation? That all is a chitchat.

W9EBE likes this.
  6. N2FK

N2FK Ham Member QRZ Page

I was trying to get a lot of the POTA, i needed the counties and States but only a percentage of the POTA guys log their calls so i stopped chasing them.

7. K3KLB

K3KLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Only a percentage of POTA activators log their contacts to QRZ? I'd say it's a pretty significant percentage in my experience. Nearly 300 activations and well over 10,000 QSO's. I'd say more activators confirm their contacts with me than do hunters but some hunters are mobile or whatnot and aren't able, or they are doing it spur of the moment to give us contacts. Some are dedicated chasers. Others not so much. Don't stop chasing activators just because you're salty about a few not confirming their contacts lol. I log every contact I make because POTA is the ONLY way that I make any contacts. It may take a few weeks for me to batch upload but they make it to QRZ and LOTW in time.
    POTA is what is keeping the hobby alive. Ignore it if you will, but you'll miss all the fun.

You hunted me on 1-17-23 on 40 meters. The contact is confirmed. Thanks! :)
    K3KLB (former KC3OLZ)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2023
    AE8EM, KQ1O, AF3N and 3 others like this.
  8. AE0Q

AE0Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't say exactly, but I guess you mean uploading logs here on QRZ? Park ACTIVATORS upload their logs to the POTA (sometimes also the WWFF) web site, so if you have a State or County confirmed there but not on QRZ you can always send them email asking to help with that.

As a park activator for WWFF and POTA I've uploaded 16,000+ contacts made from parks in the last 3 years. 11,000 on CW and 5,000 on SSB. By far the most that get confirmed here on QRZ are the contacts made on SSB.

I think there is probably one main reason. Many more SSB contacts are with newer hams that are still hunting States, etc, and enthused about getting them confirmed. More, maybe most, of the CW contacts are people that have been hams a long time and don't need QSOs confirmed. This seems to be supported by looking at the callsigns, many more 1x2 and 2x1 on CW.

Glenn AE0Q

W6LEN and HB9EPC like this.
  9. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

thought it said 'plague'.
    like to died

KJ7KOX and W7ASA like this.
  10. KG5AHJ

Thank you sir. Thank for watching

HB9EPC likes this.
  11. KG5AHJ

Thats a great idea. It was just the only good pass of the day. I just put AO-91 into my tracker app

12. DO1FER

Good luck and have fun to find the right object for yourself.

http://www.amsat.org.ar/pass.htm

HB9EPC likes this.
  13. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think for some activators it's not widely realised that it is now possible to upload a grid in your ADIF and have LOTW log that, without needing to go through the mediaeval processes of TQSL location management. Plenty of activators do log in LOTW correctly though.

AE0Q likes this.
  14. WU7F

WU7F Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you mean they don't submit their POTA log, or are you talking about logging the QSO to LOTW?

I've only done a couple of POTA activations, but the last one was a failure in that I did not reach the minimum of 10 contacts within the limited time I had to operate. I felt bad for the handful of OPs that I did work because they didn't get credit. Going forward, I'm going to make sure I have enough time to stay and make at least 10 contacts. Perhaps this has happened to others and could account for some percentage of unlogged POTA contacts.

KJ7KOX likes this.
  15. KL7AC

KL7AC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Upload if you only made 1 QSO, they get the credit. The contacts count for the hunter, the activator does not get credited with an activation.

KJ7KOX, KQ4GBR, AE0Q and 1 other person like this.