ad: Radclub22-1

Ham And Quackers - What's The Point? - Getting Involved In A Club

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N1DUC, Jun 5, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N1DUC

N1DUC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Folks,

In this episode I interview Peter, K1PCN, President of the Greater Bridgeport Amateur Radio Club (GBARC). We discuss various club activities, and how our journey through the hobby was enriched through our club membership. This video was created to inspire licensed and unlicensed amateur radio operators to find a club and see what they have to offer. Enjoy!

Junie
    N1DUC
    Quack, Quack

KQ4FLI, LU2BR, W1KRI and 2 others like this.
  2. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice.

3. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Who needs the societies should go there. But there is no must. Personally I dont like these associations with its classical associative problems.

To that, there is not much space for the own needs and for to develop on the own way. People there just copy another, because they think what they know is that what is all about. All I can say is, that every pet is different.

So, to go the own way is much more intensive than to be in a club. More slower and lonesome but remarkable. This in cause of to find all informations what is needed by the operator him-/herself. To that to meet on air and share the Hamspirit is more serious than a small group. With it, is the Internet today more important than some want to admit to. Because the sources of information are a big and colourful bunch of people, organizations, publishers, different goverments offers, clubs and much more.

Thats what Fleedwood Mac sung: "Go your own way."

WR2E, K4DXG, VK5OHR and 7 others like this.
  4. K9ATS

K9ATS Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Junie. I may go QRP more when I get a decent antenna setup, but 100W is where I am most times. Best of luck during Field Day.

I do hope though Mochi, Marvel, and Cleoptra came thru the interview without a scratch. Peter does live on "Duck Farm Road" after all.

5. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Clubs are overrated, clicky, power driven, we have heard this all before......go your own way be your own person in ham radio...you do you...do not let others do you.

Either your a leader or a follower and if your not one of those get out of the way !!!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    W5VL, K4DXG, N9APL and 13 others like this.
  6. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

In a club once! Never Again! I am aLone Wolf operator.

W5VL, VK5OHR, W8OTR and 6 others like this.
  7. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not a leader, to that I am not a blind follower of somebody or something! Not a fan of printed T-shirts or caps. Maybe an observer, find useful hints, tips and information across the subjects of many intrests in the hobby. And always still intrested in the future of HAM-Radio and its new possibilities.

VK5OHR and PY2NEA like this.
  8. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been a member of our local club for about 36 years, give or take a few.

Took my initial Morse lessons there, got tested and achieved my Novice license there; been a member ever since. It has been good all these years, some better years, some not so good. But overall a great resource and like most other human associations there have been issues from time to time, but never enough for me to consider bailing out.

In the last decades or so, it has become my favorite place to go on any given Saturday for our open house. Used to go to board and general meetings too, but... Covid.

It is getting more and more difficult to find a space that can accommodate 40 - 50 people once a month for a meeting, more so after covid threw a wrench into public gatherings. We still get folks who pick up covid and that's not from our small meetings either. Some of the folks who have been "hiding out" even now just got covid. I guess that means the hiding out and vaccinating does not work 100% of the time.

Back on topic: for me, being in a club has been a boon, not a handicap. I am a member of several contest clubs too, and they are usually fun as well. wanted to join the Seattle DX club, but their meetings are usually held way north of me here in the Tacoma area. Traffic around here these days makes it not fun to travel to one of their meetings...

Our local club usually holds our meeting in a hybrid format, with some folks going to the clubhouse in person and some attending via Zoom. Our clubhouse is too small to accommodate the number of people that used to attend.

So, I guess the summary is: clubs are like most other tings in this hobby, good for some, not good for others. That's just human nature.

N6HCM likes this.
  9. KD4LT

KD4LT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What I seen at the club here is a clicky, power driven old men . Most of the hams in the club are just into 2 meter and are not active at all . And for field day that is a joke it's all about the food .For new hams I don't recommend it you may just get stuck in a 2 meter rut and grow old .

WH6LU, K4DXG, VK5OHR and 4 others like this.
  10. KB9HPM

KB9HPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good morning all! I watched the video and read the comments. Most of them aren’t favorable of clubs and organizations. I personally have been involved with clubs from the very beginning. I’ve had my license since 1992. They have all been nothing but friendly and helpful. The old timer Extras were full of nothing but great information and help.

I was involved with the start up of a club at a local community college a few years back. That was a wonderful experience and it is doing quite well.

I think it is very important for new hams to be involved with a larger group so that they are able to provide the tutelage and friends needed to help them through a time that can be quite nerve wracking. Hopefully there will be lots of activities that involve and promote amateur radio.

By nature Amateur Radio is a friendly, helpful hobby that promotes the cooperation of different kinds of people from different areas of the map with different ideas about life.

73’s and take care all!

11. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I was in a club my first 6 years as a ham and got out. NEVER again. Too much politics, in fighting, cliques, etc.. A lot of us went to simplex on 2m and 70cm and HF instead.

KQ1V, WH6LU, N9APL and 3 others like this.
  12. W2JLD

nothing worse then joining a club and its driven by grumpy ole men who are so caught up in their ways, there is no room for improvement and when a newer person comes on board. because they are "not"part of the group they are shunned.

KQ1V, KJ7OES, VK5OHR and 5 others like this.
  13. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

My own two cents here, clubs have their pros and cons. For someone just starting out, a diverse club is a good way to get exposure to different sides of the hobby, different types of equipment and different opinions on how to do what we do. If you don't feel like a particular club is right for you then there's nothing that says you have to stay. Find one that does! If you can't find one that shares your interests, goals, etc., then start your own! Don't let the curmudgeonly, old folks in one club sour your view on the hobby as a whole. Part ways with them if you have to. After all, birds of a feather flock together!

N6HCM and KQ1V like this.
  14. W2JLD

worst case scenario start your own club!!!

N1DUC likes this.
  15. K2BKT

K2BKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Better to do that in the air IMO. You talk to stations with far more diverse problems and situations, and there isn't nearly as much "group think" . And it's a very good starter for a good rag chew - how to deal with different equipment and situations is far and away the most common topic discussed on the air. First thing after initial contact is your station and operating conditions.

IMO, no better way for a beginner to get deeper into the hobby than discussing gear, radios and operational situations on the air.

K4DXG likes this.