ad: Flexradio-1

NRAO Program Looking for Students 18-20 Years Old to Learn About the Electromagnetic Spectrum

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB6NU, Apr 28, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB6NU

KB6NU Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    The National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) is now recruiting the second group of students for their program, Exploring the Electromagnetic Spectrum (and Why Amateur Radio Matters). This program aims to educate emerging generations about the electromagnetic spectrum through an interactive, substantive experience with amateur radio. Funded by a grant from Amateur Radio Digital Communications (ARDC), the program focuses on broadening the excitement of amateur radio among BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ students.
    NRAO is looking for 20 students, 18-20 years old, with an interest in learning about the electromagnetic spectrum and amateur (ham) radio—including obtaining amateur radio licenses. The program will begin in September 2023 and run through May 2024.

If selected, students will:
    • Receive a stipend ($4,000 over the 40-week project)
    • Meet weekly to learn more about the electromagnetic spectrum and how it is used in a variety of STEM fields
    • Engage with scientists and engineers using cutting-edge technology and software in their fields
    • Receive cool technology and tools
    • Learn about important, wide-ranging, and exciting pathways toward STEM careers
    • Prepare to take and pass the Technician Class amateur radio license test.
    To learn more about this program, and to apply, students should go to https://superknova.org/ham-application-details/.

About the National Radio Astronomy Observatory
    The National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) is a facility of the National Science Foundation (NSF), operated under cooperative agreement by Associated Universities, Inc. Furthering NSF’s mission to advance the progress of science, the NRAO enables research into the Universe at radio wavelengths and provides world-class telescopes, instrumentation, and expertise to the scientific community. NRAO’s mission includes a commitment to broader, equitable, inclusive participation in science and engineering, training the next generation of scientists and engineers, and promoting astronomy to foster a more scientifically literate society. NRAO operates three research facilities: the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA), the Karl G. Jansky Very Large Array (VLA), and the Very Long Baseline Array (VLBA), which are available for use by scientists from around the globe, regardless of institutional or national affiliation. NRAO welcomes applicants who bring diverse and innovative dimensions to the Observatory and to the field of radio astronomy. For more information about NRAO, go to https://public.nrao.edu.

For more information, contact:
    Lyndele von Schill, Director of Diversity & Inclusion, NRAO, lvonschi@nrao.edu
    Dan Romanchik, KB6NU, ARDC Communications Manager, 858.477.9903, dan@ardc.net

KC3TUB, K8VSY, WO1P and 4 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the program restricted to BIPOC and LGBTQIAPlus candidates? Are they being paid to get ham licenses? Or is that a voluntary option?

I am not sure of the amateur radio tie in. Not being critical, just wondering how this could be a model for additional efforts by others.

40 weeks? Is that a typo?

Also, having headed a STEM/minority program at BU for 15 years, you really need to reach these folks early-- such as with the SSTP programs at several universities, including U Iowa for example. That is for rising seniors and pre-college freshman. By age 20 you are probably too late to influence a STEM career change as it will entail extra time and expense. That means finding extra tuition to facilitate a change. Keep in mind most engineering students take 4.5-5 years to acheive a bachelors, mainly because they often retake courses. Those who change-in to engineering after 2 years often take 6+ . Also, the success rate is low. About 20%. If course, the success rate with entering engineers is about 40%. One should argue the 20% would be <<5 % without these programs to nurture and guide those in need.

My thoughts.

Radio astronomers usually have a physics or engineering undergrad degree. Physics also takes time to change-in because of the math and physics course sequences.

Basically such path changes need money to meet the extra tuition needs for the longer time span to degree.

Best of luck with the program:) This, from a radio astronomer: thesis observations done at Greenbank;-)

BTW, 'inventors' require no degree. Just a good head and a creative bent.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 1, 2023
    K8DQ, WI4MM, KI7PMQ and 1 other person like this.
  3. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

From the project's FAQ page:
    Q. Is this program only for people who identify as LGBTQIA+?
    A. The program is open to Black Indigenous People of Culture (BIPOC) learners of all gender identities and orientations. The program is also open to anyone who identifies as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community.

See Link:
    https://superknova.org/ham-radio-project-application-faq/

WD5IOI likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO the need for U.S. STEM is unbalanced because of the number of scientists and engineers in PRC; India; and Russia, that a more general program , led by ARDC , may have even greater benefits. We have so many young people that are self-excluding from STEM, in no small way because of the now year-old downturn in the tech sector. How do we keep them? How do we get them motivated? Look at the engineering enrollments, especially for young men. Down. Dropping.

DEI students are especially aware of the education time scales and pay deficiencies associated with STEM . They have growing options (which is terrific BTW). STEM is not often,IMO, seen as the best one in 2023.

Its analogous to the problem of 100 years ago with rural flight :'After they see the big city, how will we keep them(country young people) down on the farm'?

Perhaps the successes of this program will provide valuable lessons learned in using ham radio as a STEM draw --for everyone.

Withing them well.

5. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I participated and still participate in some of the mentoring in this program. It’s pretty good.

WB2IFS, K8BB, K2XT and 2 others like this.
  6. W4EYL

W4EYL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cringe

KD7DGK, N1SAK, K8DQ and 10 others like this.
  7. NY6G

NY6G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This opportunity is only available based on skin color & sexual habits? I have a 20yr daughter who is in school now, looking to transfer to UCSC Astrophysics.. can she apply or I guess better qs is will she even considered?

N1SAK, WD5IOI, KB1MM and 2 others like this.
  8. AD4YM

AD4YM Ham Member QRZ Page

The NRAO (National Radio Astronomy Observatory) is a federally funded research and development center violating the 1964 civil rights law by running a program that discriminates on the basis of race (BIPOC) and sexual orientation (LBGTQIA...). Its web page excludes all white heterosexual applicants (https://superknova.org/ham-radio-project-application-faq/).

KD7DGK, N1SAK, K8DQ and 6 others like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

To be honest--
    Thinking about one's sexual orientation, 50 years ago, would be contrary to the nerdy, in the library saturday night, in the computer room (cards! printers! calcomp machines!) after midnight, ramen noodles for dinner reality of many if not most 18-20 year old budding astrophysicists.

Probably the main outside activity was monitoring the rerun schedule for Dr. Who. Finding a pizza joint open at 3AM, or playing dungeons and dragons.

Has much REALLY changed?

Tell me I am wrong...

Wait 'til they find out that almost all astronomy is about ancient cosmic explosions that require bomb code (the software that simulates large explosions) to understand...and astronomers are kept away from the telescopes so they don't BREAK them...

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The program is really about amateur radio, and rudimentary E&M apparently.

NRAO , the GBT, SETI Institute, and other labs have summer student programs which may be what you are thinking about: it sounds like she already has a foundation in STEM.

I do not believe that being cisgender female is qualifying for this program--but, I am sure someone else can clarify this or expand.

11. WO1P

WO1P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I applied to this program because of your post, so thank you! I can let the thread know how it goes. I think that it is a great opportunity for younger individuals to get into amateur radio, as well as an inadvertent scholarship to help cover the cost of college.

W9EBE and W0PV like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL just put up a news item on the program--with the following...

" Students from BIPOC and/or LGBTQIA+ communities are especially encouraged to apply."

It doesn't say anything about exclusion of anyone.

KC3TUB, WO1P and W0PV like this.
  13. AD4YM

Actually it does. Go to the program web page https://superknova.org/ham-radio-project-application-faq/ and click on the first FAQ. The answer given is :
    "The program is open to Black Indigenous People of Culture (BIPOC) learners of all gender identities and orientations. The program is also open to anyone who identifies as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community."
    That answer notably does not include straight white people.

N1SAK and WD5IOI like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You point out the contradiction. Perhaps ARDC can fix the discrepancy. I assumed the ARRL piece was an indication of the revision of the eligibility requirements, as it is the latest info on the program, and I presume the press release was OK'ed by NRAO and ARDC. Those are reasonable assumptions by any reader.

In any case, some clarification seems to be in order here.

Here is the ARRL link:

Ham Radio Project Seeks Science and Tech-Minded Students (arrl.org)

Note:

"The program will run from August 7, 2023 - May 13, 2024, for 3 - 6 hours each week. Students selected for the program will receive hands-on experience and learn how the electromagnetic spectrum is used in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields. They will also learn about amateur radio and work towards gaining an amateur radio license. Students from BIPOC and/or LGBTQIA+ communities are especially encouraged to apply."

Nothing about 'excluded to only..."

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 11, 2023
  15. AD4YM