ad: k1jek

The West Point Annual Scout Camporee is Back!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB2FMH, Apr 20, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Attention all Military members and Vets, all Scouts or adult Volunteers around the world - It is that time again!

The Annual West Point Military Academy Scout Camporee is coming This Weekend, April 21 to 23, 2023 and Radio Station W2P will once again be there Live from the center of the action..

Each year for the past 59 years the Graduating Class of Cadets in conjunction with the West Point Scoutmaster's Council host over 6,000 young men and ladies from the Scouting program across the US for three days of fun and adventure.
    The Scouts get to do and experience things Only available on an active Military Base which despite the National Jamboree being bigger by numbers, is a unique program among all others.

Check the QRZ page for W2P to learn more and see some photos and videos of previous events.

The operators will be active from Friday afternoon to Saturday evening on all bands affording workable conditions and all modes.

The event is sponsored by Radio Scouting and the Ten Mile River Scout Camps ARC (W2TMR) along with the Fair Lawn ARC (FLARC).

Please support the event by calling in and telling them about Your experiences in Scouting and / the Military Service.

RadioScouting2023.png

KE5OA, WB8P, K0UO and 7 others like this.
  2. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

BZ

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    W9EBE and 9M2ART like this.
  3. KB2FMH

Thanks Henry, there's nothing like seeing thousand of Scouts learning from the Cadets at The Point.
    And if you like this, watch for Fleet Week NYC (Call = W2F) at the end of May where we do a week long activation from NY harbor and locations where the ships are moored. I am hoping to be out in the water on an NYPD Harbor Patrol boat operating Live as the ships come into the bay under the Verrazano Bridge. If not, I'll be on shore right under the bridge announcing each vessel as it comes in with other operators throughout the week visiting the ships and operating at their locations.

And, right after that on June 3rd I'll be on the Flight Deck of the USS Intrepid activating for Museum Ships Weekend using the Sip's club call, WW2CV.

Hope to hear you in the pileups!

JG / KB2FMH

KF6HHH, HB9EPC, W2EHC and 1 other person like this.
  4. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You will hear us in the pile-ups! N1SLM (USS Salem CA-139) and WW2MAN (NAZI two-man submarine at the USS Salem). I always look forward to these events!

Have a blast!!

KF6HHH, HB9EPC and W9EBE like this.
  5. KB2FMH

BZ back at ya!

KQ1V likes this.
  6. KD3LQ

KD3LQ Ham Member QRZ Page

As a point of clarification (and please, I am not trying to bust anybody's chops), the official name of the institution is "United States Military Academy" (i.e. USMA), which is located at West Point, NY. (at least that's what my son's 2003 graduation diploma says!!). It is a national treasure, and if you are ever in the area, check it out. Thank you guys, for putting it, and the scouts, on the air!

KF6HHH, HB9EPC and (deleted member) like this.
  7. KB2FMH

Yes Steven, it is officially the United States Military Academy at West Point but, even they call it the West Point MA when there because there Are others around the country but there isn't anyone who hasn't heard about West Point which has a very long and exemplary history. Even the callers fro outside the US knew where we were when hearing us calling and knew also that to be there, even for the Scout Camporee, was a privelege like no other.
    Did you stay at the Thayer for your son's graduation.

KQ1V likes this.
  8. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

It was about 59 years ago I recieved my code patch . We would sit in the Castlevale School gym in the dark and code with A light bulb. Fun times and will never forget....
    Go get em' scouts...

W9EBE likes this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

R ._.
    On that

Will try to work W2P

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

10. BG7TIU

BG7TIU Ham Member QRZ Page

哇,这是一件很棒的事情。