ad: ProAudio-1

Building a Better Antenna (and Company): Meet Mike W5REZ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Apr 11, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_031_W5REZ_VideoCover_03.jpg
    Ham radio operators love to banter about their antennas and the next one they are going to make, or buy. Mike Giannaccio W5REZ is no different except that he decided to design the perfect antenna for his Parks on the Air activations and then to take it to market. He's been working on this project for over 2 years and finally started to deliver his new antenna in March 2023. In this interview, Mike talks about his background, what he was looking for in an antenna, and the process of developing his new company.

KE0N, KG5VK, AI5KD and 11 others like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The more each amateur can do to improve their antenna system, the better their station results will be.
    Not only on transmit, but maybe even more importantly, for their Receive.

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

WD5IOI, N6SPP, KQ4GBA and 6 others like this.
  3. VA2SS

VA2SS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,

Does someone know if @W5REZ will be at Hamvention next month? NICE interview by the way @W1DED.

Best 73 de Jeff | VA2SS

N1DRS, W4RYQ, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  4. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes, @K0UO, we have to install what we can... spatially install, safely, afford, etc.

FWIW, I've installed a Chameleon EMCOMM-II (49:1 transformer, 60 wire with a 70' counterpoise buried directly under the 60' fed by 25' of LMR, with an 8' ground rod/PolyPhaser 1' off the house - a typical KQ1V install). This works the world for me, and this works well for me! I can just imagine some RF engineer or know-it-all's head exploding. Oh dear, lighten up lads.

I think, judging from the comments and threads here, there is an opinion on everything by everyone regarding antennas. Sometimes the results listed in the logbook are sufficient... they are for me.

WQ1C, K4MOE, W9EBE and 1 other person like this.
  5. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you, Jeff! I appreciate you watching. Not sure about Hamvention but I'm sure Mike will weigh in.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
    W4RYQ likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't seen such an allusion since SCANNERS... but--

Perhaps you are referring to Dali--the antenna guru? Good use of light.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike understands that weight and form factor are key to a successful POTA. To wit: Less visible, less questions. However, small additions can improve, for example, a vertical's performance even within that restriction. The horizontal (towards horizon--not polarization) gain and launch angle both improve for a feedpoint- loaded monopole when more 1/4 wave equivalent radials, as many as possible, are used. This can easily get another 2-4 dB of RSSI improvement if DX is your game over, say, 2 radials. Eight plus is typical.

KR3DX, W5NXK, W1DED and 1 other person like this.
  8. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice piece of kit. I am a bit cheap as I tend to bust portable antennas though even the good ones. But if you want to look good on the beach this would be it.

K2SPL, W1DED and KQ1V like this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't say anyone needs a monster antenna Farm.... ..

I'm just saying that any Improvement in efficiency that you can do to improve your antenna system, is the best bang for your buck that you can do.
    I've lived in condos and HOAs/RVing and moble, and was always able to improve the situation. It helped more on receive also.
    "The Best antenna is the one that's in the Air, and more importantly, On the Air" however try to make that antenna as a effective as possible.
    Playing with antennas can be fun and rewarding at the same time.

KB7TXS, W2SAL, KR3DX and 6 others like this.
  10. KW1NG

KW1NG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why base loaded? All the current is in the bottom of the 1/4 wave antenna; wouldn't a few feet of radiator before the coil be better? I know it is in my mobile setup.

G4HBY, KA0HCP, VK5FUSE and 1 other person like this.
  11. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said.

KB7TXS and W1DED like this.
  12. WM5L

WM5L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like base loaded vertical with a few radials. Nothing groundbreaking. Hope he sells a million of em.

W1DED likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Best place for loading is towards/at top.

BUT weight and torque are concerns in this app..

WA2RRB, KC7ZXY, W5REZ and 1 other person like this.
  14. W5REZ

W5REZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish we were going to make Hamvention this year, but unfortunately it wasn't possible for us. I will plan on being there next year.

W1YW and VA2SS like this.
  15. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are correct. I prefer the 3/8 wave vertical.

But for this application I think portability and keeping the entire thing together are more important than squeezing a couple dB out of a raised feedpoint.

The 3/8 wave antenna is a GREAT antenna if you can't afford a half wave or 5/8!

--Shane
    WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI