ad: Radclub22-1

From Around The Globe - Autism Awareness Week

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB2FMH, Mar 22, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Join us for the first annual World Autism Awareness Week Special Event operation, brought to you by Radio Amateurs from around the globe!

For the first time ever, over 75 operators in 26 US States, 22 countries on 6 continents with 8 special calls, will be on the air from March 25 to April 2, 2023 in an effort to help spread awareness about the condition known now as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) that afflicts millions of people world wide.
    Our amazing team will be operating from home, POTA and IOTA locations to maximize the reach into radios everywhere!

It doesn't care about age, color of skin, religious beliefs, social or financial status or where one lives - it can affect anyone and we don't know why or how it happens.

From mild attention quirks to fully uncontrollable, it manifests differently in each person it afflicts. But, many people live a good life once those around them understand that it's OK to be Different. Our goal in producing this special on-air event is to raise the awareness of folks who may not understand what it is and how it can affect the lives of not only those suffering from it directly, but those indirectly affected who live, work and play with a person on the Spectrum.

Join us this week by calling into the stations around the world supporting the spreading of awareness and learn of ways You can help those impacted by ASD.

Visit our main QRZ page, W2A, to learn more and see the list of other special calls and all of our generous operators giving their time to help.

world-autism-awareness-week-1.jpg

VK5FUSE, NG0G, N3RYB and 14 others like this.
  2. HC2FN

HC2FN Ham Member QRZ Page

HC2FN WILL BE ON THE AIR DURING THAT WEEK SUPPORTING THIS SPECIAL EVENT.

K8VSY, KN4FRK and KN4YEM like this.
  3. KI5UPP

KI5UPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MY SON HAS AUTISM HOW DO I SIGN UP AS A STATION?
    ki5upp

GM4JPZ, M7SBC and KB8QJF like this.
  4. KB2FMH

Check your Email Scott. Thanks!

5. M0HJS

M0HJS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi There.

My Grandson (7) has Austisum, so very close to my heart.

Only spotted the info on QRZ.com this morning.

Been busy. Now have a Special Events Licence ... GB0AAE.

Will be active on all days, specifically using Digimodes ( PSK31, FT8 etc.,) as we assume that the other GB calls will be using SSB. If I can get the QO-100 dish re-aligned, I'll be using that on SSB.

73 Dave G3ZXX.

GM4JPZ and M7SBC like this.
  6. GM5AUG

GM5AUG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello. Please can I operate as an ASD station? I have Asperger Syndrome. Many thanks. 73 Michael GM5AUG

PS - in eager anticipation I have applied for and been given GB5AAW for use. I will now create a QRZ page

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    GM4JPZ likes this.
  7. KB2FMH

Dave, Your help would be appreciated but, if you are going to operate with that call on our team, please release the QRZ page so I can make it like all the others.
    Also, please operate in SSB or CW so a message can be conveyed which cannot be with any digital modes. We are not looking to make thousands of contacts to fill a log but rather spread the word of awareness by actually Talking to people.
    And, if you're going to with us you have to be WITH us, not independent. What email shall I send the operating info to if you are in?

Thanks, James

8. KB2FMH

Michael,
    Your help would be appreciated but, if you are going to operate with that call on our team, please release the QRZ page so I can make it like all the others.
    Also, please operate in SSB or CW so a message can be conveyed which cannot be with any digital modes. We are not looking to make thousands of contacts to fill a log but rather spread the word of awareness by actually Talking to people.
    And, if you're going to with us you have to be WITH us, not independent. What email shall I send the operating info to if you are in?

Thanks, James

9. GM5AUG

GM5AUG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dear James
    My apologies - I misunderstood the protocol. I'll release the QRZ page now.
    Yes - I will operate mainly in CW although some SSB as well.
    My email address gm5aug@topple.scot.
    Again, my apologies for misunderstanding. I hope this clears things up.
    73 Michael

*** Now released ***

10. G3ZXX

G3ZXX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi James.

Please bear in mind that we are coming to this late. So have probably missed much communication with the other participants prior to your News on the QRZ.com page which only just appeared.

So please do not percieve that we are being akward, we are wishing to clarify.

What operating info ? If you are scheduling operation, ie who operate when, bands etc., etc., the will will not be with you, we will be independent.

If you have some scripts that you would like included in conversations then that's fine. Please clarify.

OK, How do I release the page to you ? I cannot find anything on QRZ that tells me how to do that, whilst retaining ownership of the page. If it's as simple as reproducing what on the other participants pages, GB0AAW for example, then let me have the source code and I'll add it. Amending only the 'page sponsored info'.

With regard to only using SSB or CW, with all the others probably using those modes, there is a significant number of Amateurs who use digital modes. Not FT8 / FT4 beacon modes etc., but PSK31 and Olivia etc., which are are QSO modes, not beacon modes.

Therefore using these QSO modes will tell individuals not reached via SSB or CW about World Autisum Awareness Week, and direct them to the page with the data and links.

So hopefully you understand, and accept, that what we will be doing is to everyone's benefit. Spreading the word to a wider audience. Still having qso's but not using SSB or CW.

We intend to QSL all qso via eQSL.

73 Dave G3ZXX.

M0MNE likes this.
  11. KB2FMH

If you prefer to be an independent operator Dave, that's fine but by responding to our announcement it seemed you wished to part of the global event which of course means all information must be uniform. The thing is that with the wide range of operators under one focused management people may believe your call / on-air activity Is part of the main special event group.

You are of course free to do as you wish and if as a single operator for this particular dated theme then good luck with it. Supporting Autism awareness is open to anyone anywhere but being part of a coordinated team does not allow for outside participation.
    If you do decide to be part of the international event team then simply release the QRZ page from within your account and I will manage, edit and update it to be in unison with the other 9 calls. And, if you will primarily use digital modes then it will not interfere with our operation at all.

Thanks for your inquiry.

12. KB2FMH

Thanks Michael, check your email.

13. M0SAC

M0SAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I will join in its abit late to apply for a special call i work for the kent autistic trust and work with adults with autism i have met some amassing people and love what i do.

14. KB2FMH

Thanks Michael, and you don't Need a special call. You can use your own and simply announce you are part of the global team and diect people to any of the unique calls on QRZ, they are all the same yet specific to area regarding support methods and, you can partner with some other UK calls by coordinating on our Discord server channel which you wil see in a document I will send via email.
    Welcome Aboard.

15. M0HEM

M0HEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023