ad: M2Ant-1

Minnesota Hams Takeover Frozen Lake

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0LWC, Feb 16, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K0LWC

K0LWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Every year hams around the Twin Cities of Minnesota gather for ‘Hams On The Ice’. This is the Winter version of our monthly ‘Ham In The Park’ meetup that takes place monthly in the warm weather months. It’s a great excuse to get outside and break the cabin fever we often suffer from up here near the arctic circle.

W0YRE, W8TJM, KB1ZYI and 13 others like this.
  2. W6FRD

W6FRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Brrr that’s my impression after I watched the video, I certainly admire Hams on Ice, KOLWC does a very good job of explaining the activities of Hams on Ice,along with some cool pics, for me personally snow here where I live in CA is a novelty, it’s mostly sunny weather here lol. I have to wonder how the cold weather impacts the radio equipment/ battery life, congrats on promoting the ham radio.W6FRD.

3. K0VWA

K0VWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great vid and a great day on the ice! Thank you for sharing! Seems like I've seen your Colorado license plate sometime in the past.

@W6FRD - Anything below freezing kills the lithium battery I have. It's just a little 7.5 Ah pack that I stick "Hothands" hand warmers on to keep it going. Two of the large body warmers will keep the battery warm enough at least down to 15°F or so - which is about where I run out of insulation myself - hihi. Last Saturday I had 2 Buddy heaters and a big ole propane firebowl - was great!

For the radio (Yaesu FT-857D), the LCD starts to ghost a little when it's cold and the VFO dial feels like it's turning in 90 weight. I don't use handwarmers on the radio because they produce a little bit of moisture that I don't want condensing in the radio.

AK5B likes this.
  4. K0PU

K0PU Ham Member QRZ Page

KB9TBB, AB0R, W0NKA and 1 other person like this.
  5. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

... only thing missing is the beer and guns too! Yee Haw!

6. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Have fun with that! I do not like cold. So have fun.73

AK5B and KL7KN like this.
  7. W4TRK

W4TRK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hate the stupid YouTube face!

KI4IIV, KO2Q, K2XT and 6 others like this.
  8. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sadly, content creators' experience has indicated that videos with "stupid face" thumbnails tend to be clicked on more often.

W0JMJ and KQ1V like this.
  9. KG5QNO

KG5QNO Ham Member QRZ Page

Big Clive calls it out in his videos, when he's about to make his "soy face" for the thumbnail. It's pretty funny, and he makes great teardown and electronics design videos.

10. W4TRK

W4TRK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I am aware that YouTube has told these folks that children tend to click on stupid face and they are rewarded by this. My only recourse is to not click on any creator doing it and to unsubscribe from anyone I subscribe to using stupid face as a technique for more clicks. This is the only way we can shut it down. Don't reward them with a click, a thumbs up, and unsubscribe.

G3SEA, KO2Q, K2XT and 4 others like this.
  11. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I applaud the senitment....but I think it's probably a lost cause to try to get a sufficient proportion of the millions of Youtube viewers to change their ways to actually make a difference.

KQ1V likes this.
  12. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Must be a Minnesota thing. Floridians can't see the joy in hanging your butt over the ice for hours on end. A Well Digger would likely get along with you folks just fine. Winter FD is one thing, but.......

W0YRE and AK5B like this.
  13. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When someone feels the need to make clown face thumbnails to get click and views….that should tell you all you need to know about their content.

KI4IIV, W4TRK, K2XT and 4 others like this.
  14. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately you are right, but the truly sad part is, it’s a societal issue, not a YouTube issue.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    W4TRK, AK5B, KQ1V and 1 other person like this.
  15. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in Wisconsin we like warm WX. Check my QRZ page for a picture. W0BTS is a regular at my boondocking lot also.