ad: Radclub22-1

Mike Ritz W7VO ARRL NW Division Director: BOD Updates 2023 & N2RJ Commentary

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W7UUU, Feb 10, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Big thanks to Mr. Mike Ritz, W7VO, for his presentation on February 8, 2023 to the Radio Club of Tacoma W7DK General Membership meeting. Mike is the Northwestern Director for the ARRL and recently returned from the big Board of Directors meeting with some important updates for us in 2023.

The following video is Mike's Program as given during the meeting and has the following timeline:

Topics covered during this video presentation - simply click on the blue hyperlink
    for each time stamp and you will be taken to that chapter in the video:

00:00 Opening and Introduction
    03:22 Agenda
    05:09 2023 Division Leadership Committee Assignments
    07:20 Director Ria Jairam N2RJ Outcome of special BOD Meeting
    25:50 Latest ARRL Programs and Services, Contest changes
    28:26 Field Day 2023 rules changes and updates
    36:48 The ARRL Clean Signal Initiative (CSI) Program
    40:11 2023-2024 ARRL Foundation Scholarship program
    43:13 January 2023 ARRL BOD Meeting Review

I would very much like to thank Mike for taking the time to catch us all up on the happenings at the League.

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    KG7LEA, K4FMH, N4FZ and 9 others like this.
  2. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can't believe there are no comments? So here is mine__I agree with Mike.

You Can't Have Your Cake and Eat it Too and When In Rome

N4FZ and WR3V like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I'm surprised as well.... it's a pretty big announcement from the ARRL overall - not just the Ria N2RJ issue, but the new rules for Field Day, changes to contesting rules, and the Clean Signal Initiative (CSI) - stuff that folks have talked about for YEARS.

It's something of a "QRZ Scoop" in that I don't believe others have had a chance to post up these big changes and announcements yet.

The CSI program above all sounds like a pretty cool new thing - although it remains to be seen just how it will play out ultimately.

Dave
    W7UUU

N4FZ, N0TZU and K3EY like this.
  4. W7UUU

Remember: you can just click the time stamp above (the time numbers in blue hyperlink) and it will take you DIRECTLY TO THAT PORTION of Mr. Ritz's presentation!!

I know it's kind of "death by power point" but this is pretty important stuff - big announcements.

Dave
    W7UUU

WJ4U and N4FZ like this.
  5. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, Dave.

Not an ARRL member. What does of any of this mean to me?

W3AMT and WG7X like this.
  6. W7UUU

Nothing really, if you're not an ARRL member. I would have thought the subject matter would have been self-evident in that regard.

But I do appreciate the comment

Dave
    W7UUU

N4FZ likes this.
  7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don, I've been an ARRL member for 35 years or so, still a member. I sat thru the presentation at our recent club meeting and I have to agree with you: it meant absolutely nothing to me either.

I remain a member because they are our only representation to our government. Strange thing; I was president of our local club for six years and never once during those six years did any ARRL representatives make contact with me. Not once and we are one of the oldest clubs in the country, have all sorts of ARRL affiliations on paper. Not being a political type, it never really bothered me, but you would think that one of those "managers" might have at least tried to make the connection.

Some of the stuff that has been going on lately has me really considering why I still remain a member. Tradition I suppose, but that only goes so far. I also wonder why anyone would take on any of those Section manager or Division managers jobs. What, exactly do they do for us, the members?

Not much that I can see.

Will I remain a member? That's the real question, isn't it? Inertia will probably make me stay, but I sure don't see what all those political types do for us, I really don't.

A mystery for the ages...

WA3VJB, KP4SX, KE0GXN and 5 others like this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I found this presentation very informative and meaningful, and not only because I’m an ARRL member.

As Dave said at the top there were several substantial changes made by the BOD to contests and field day, good changes in my view. If you participate in those then it affects you. Also mentioned were pending improvements to LOTW.

The Clean Signal Initiative is particularly innovative and marks the beginning of the ARRL playing an important role in setting technical standards for ham radio equipment, in cooperation with manufacturers. This will obviously affect all hams worldwide, not only members.

AE0Q and KL7KN like this.
  9. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

So you want to blame Ria because Ethics didn't do its job from the start? My issue would be with them no matter right or wrong Ria's role was. If I was looking at it and She said she was doing a book that could be in competition I would Cross all the T's and dot all the I's.

Maybe she played you all but that is on you.

Raising the Race/Gender card was a low blow.

And when are you paying that million dollars you took from the taxpayers? You completely lost my trust with that move.

W6QY, W6EM and K6CLS like this.
  10. AJ2I

AJ2I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

a very well done and informative presentation

11. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not at all convinced that Ria did anything to merit discipline. The failure to do its job rests with the E & E Committee. The content of Ria's book is similar not only to the ARRL study guide but all others. It has to be since the potential test questions are public information. It appears that the CEO's heartburn is because her book sells for less than the over-priced ARRL version and that hers is marketed in a lot of places the ARRL's book is not. Maybe the ARRL ought to look at its pricing and also avail itself of other marketing avenues.

I cannot help but be suspicious because of two things. One, the CEO, for whom I have little respect, seemed to have way too much personal involvement in this. Two, the "good old boys" who remain on the BOD are threatened by a fellow Director who actually does things and is more responsive to members than they ever have been. W7VO is my division director but he has not convinced me. Finally, as for his claim that he knew little or nothing about this prior to the BOD meeting that is simply NOT TRUE. I emailed him regarding this matter well before the BOD meeting and he responded. His response included the statement "there is much more to this than people are aware of. I will get back to you later when I have more time." If he had no knowledge about the issue how could he have made that statement?

KM4LKC, N7ANN, W2AI and 7 others like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave,

Your video is fine. The issue is the subject. People are burnt out hearing about the ARRL and its cat herding dysfunction. Obviously there are some great people, and lots of not so great , in leadership positions.

The ARRL has excellent and dedicated staff. That is the usual point of contact. They' re worth the membership fee. I think it s important to remember that.

The problem with Part 97 today, is the demographics switched from old men coming in before 2008, and young techs (not just men)coming in after. There is thus a huge disconnect between the bulk of Part 97 licensees, and the way the ARRL --has-- proceeded (which has an 'old man' focus). Clearly there are some efforts to change that, at the ARRL.

Chip W1YW

W8CI, W3AMT and WG7X like this.
  13. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Again: Doesn't matter if a contract had already been signed in re the Book Deal. We'll never know what would have happened next had the Ethics Committee said No when first approached, because they didn't -- rendering the issue of whether or not a contract had been signed immaterial. And again: Recusal of N2RJ from related future publications matters is operationally stupid and only hurts the organization, as the org needs all the help it can get in improving its offerings and "aggressively marketing" same. (Yo! Why isn't the League doing the "aggressive marketing" that apparently stood to undercut the League's book? Why not look into hiring those guys and selling more books faster, increasing the ham radio ranks as the League's fundamental basis and purpose say it's about?)

If I were still in the 7th district, I'd vote this peddler of illogic out in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    K2PH, W6EM, AE0Q and 5 others like this.
  14. KL7KN

Thanks for taking the time to post a reply to my input, Bob.

The only thing I do for contests is shut off the rig/move to 30M for a bit of non-chaos operating. (Example of the feeding frenzy over Bouvet Island is just one of many)
    Don't chase paper, so the LOTW (pretentious title BTW) has zero relevance.

"Setting technical standards for ham radio equipment." Waaa??????? Last I looked the standard setting was done by the FEDGOV in concert with other International Ruling bodies (ITU/WRC)
    Now, if you mean picking favorites - DMR vs other digi formats, I can totally see the ARRL sticking its nose in free markets.
    In sum - I'm not a fan of the ARRL (former member) but will acknowledge its existence may be needed. I can see where others are very supportive. Great.
    If nothing else, I'll go back and give a listen to see what shenanigans the East Coast mafia is up to....

Once again, though, thanks for the post.

15. KL7KN

Okay. Slogged thru the internecine warfare part and got to the mention of the ARRL "setting standards."

I have a real problem with this.

However, should the ARRL ever want to offer their technical reviews - generally well done - for free to and for the larger community, it would go a long way to clean up some of the bad actors....
    This, by allowing potential purchasers of the equipment see an unbiased technical review - to include spectrum plots of actual output.

The club setting itself up as a self-declared arbiter of technical standards is, IMO, a bad idea. A very bad idea.
    I'll point to the very well-done Sherwood Enginering data - openly offered to the community as an example of what the ARRL could do - today, to help the ham radio community.

YMMV and this is just one random guys opinion.

W6EM likes this.