ad: QSLWorks-1

BuddiStick Pro Accessory Must have!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5QBF, Feb 5, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have owned the BuddiStick Pro for a while as it has been my go to antenna for POTA. It packs up in a small bag and works well on 40-6m. The only con with the antenna is the tuned radial, and keeping it elevated. My first solution was an electric fence post stuck into the ground. Unfortunately there are some park out there that do no allow you to place anything in the ground. So this makes you get a bit creative. Mike (K8MRD) came up with this 3D printed bipod that fits in the bag and solves that issue. If you are in a park or in frozen ground where you can't set the stake, this bipod will hold it up. Hope you like the video

Shane

VE3MRX, K9EI, KQ7A and 3 others like this.
  2. N2YQT

N2YQT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

PLA?

3. K5QBF

Legs are fiberglass, connection pieces and center are PLA.

4. WA7WJR

WA7WJR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a lightweight camp lantern stand from Amazon < $20. Has a spike where allowed, or a clamp that can be attached to picnic table, or a 8"x 8" x 1/4" piece of plywood with a rock, sandbag, log, etc. placed on top of the board to hold it upright. It is super light, packs to less than 15 inches, and is adjustable in 14" increments (14" to 60") to accommodate uneven ground between the Buddistick and the end of the radial.

61L9n-JiZ6L._AC_SX679_.jpg

W2KS, KA0USE, K5QBF and 3 others like this.
  5. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have done the same thing for years, with PVC pipe using PVC couplers and a rubber band, also a short cord that can be held in place with a rock or an ammo can, that I keep my antenna analyzer in. And when allowed to stick into the ground I use it as a mono pole. Others have used this method as well.
    Good video.

KO4JNF and K5QBF like this.
  6. WA7WJR

Because someone asked in a different forum about the height of elevated radials, ideally they should be 0.05 λ above the ground, and I like elevated radials simply because you need less compared to ground radials. Downside is elevated radials should be 1/4λ .

K5QBF likes this.
  7. WT4BT

WT4BT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been using shock-corded tent poles since I bought my first Buddipole in 2008 or so. Now have several iterations of same in each of the kit bags for Buddipole, Buddistick and BS Pro. For my Buddistick kits I use 11" sections so they fit in the portfolio bags along with all the rest of the stuff. The electric fence posts work well, but they don't travel all that well with that "sticker" on the bottom. Ask my wife!
    BJ/wa7wjr is correct in giving the 0.05 figure for height above ground, but we have found and Bud and Chris suggest, that 3-4 feet is very adequate. I have used multiple stakes for the counterpoise/radial/wire element for 40 meter setups and been very happy. And, yes, the wire should be 1/4 wave at resonance then tuned (lengthened/shortened) to achieve resonance / best Rrad match with your vertical.
    Mac/WT4BT

WA7WJR likes this.
  8. WA7WJR

Yes, I have found that to be the case also.

The only time I raise it up higher then 3-4 ft is if I set up my SteppIr CrankIr on 80m (which is rare). :)

9. VE3MRX

VE3MRX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How can I get one from Mike? ve3mrx@gmail.com. 73/72

K5QBF likes this.
  10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some good reading with conducted experiments and measurements.

Preamble: "Here is an article which was published in the March/April and May/June 2012 issues of QEX magazine which takes a much closer look at elevated ground systems than has been done in the past. "

Antennas By N6LF: Design of radial ground systems

W2KS and WA7WJR like this.
  11. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A rod shoved into the ground is not the same thing as a radial system or ground plane...unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant.

12. K5QBF

He sells them at k8mrd.square.site. He is supposed to have some more in stock after Hamcation.

13. K5QBF

The device is meant to hold the tuned elevated radial off the ground.

K7CB likes this.
  14. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does it handle 100 watts rf?

15. N1NB/SK2024

N1NB/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

Thak you very much for the share coming from a guy that’s getting into POTA this makes me very happy to see