ad: MLSons-1

Review and Use Case for the portable 21' Diamond BB7V Vertical Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD4BMG, Feb 2, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD4BMG

KD4BMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome quick up and down high quality antenna I use for beach POTA and here at the HOA.

MW7OFS, K0GMK, KR5QA and 21 others like this.
  2. KD0AXQ

KD0AXQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very helpful review and a great set up you have! 73 de KD0AXQ

3. DL4QB

DL4QB QRZ Lifetime Member #719 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Get a CB Antenna and use a 1:9 Balun at the bottom. Has the same good results and costs much less. There is no secret with this Antenna. It will work.

KA0SOH, K8ZFJ, W7XLR and 5 others like this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I looked at the Diamond ad... What do I see? "NO RADIALS REQUIRED." Alarm bells ring. ;)

N0NC, KI4ZUQ, VK2APA and 14 others like this.
  5. W2JBL

W2JBL Ham Member QRZ Page

It wasn't very hard to find a video of a guy opening one of these up. Next to the goofy balun inside was a big fat dummy load. 400$ for a dummy load? Really? Recently ran into a ham using one on 40 meter AM. He was a good 20DB down from the rest of the people in the qso. All the others were running the typical IC-7300 to GVRV's dipole etc. Everybody was about 150 miles from here in different directions. No radials or tuner needed? Super broad band? That's not how you radiate a real signal. Comet makes one of theese too- the CHA250, and it's just as expensive.

K8ZFJ, AB1WX, ZL2TOY and 10 others like this.
  6. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A dummy load effectively and a random length radiator attached WILL get you contacts propagation permitting. What irritates me is the advertising that NEW and/or inexperienced hams see that causes them to buy overpriced underperforming antennas. When you see ANYTHING that is virtually flat across the spectrum, RUN don't WALK away from my experience. You may bend the laws of physics but you MAY NOT break them. I've seen many a new ham disappointed after spending hundreds of dollars. I realize I may have missed out on some interesting antennas in the past, but if I can't figure out HOW it works, I look elsewhere. YMMV

p.s. I believe MFJ also makes a 'clone' of this type antenna. Caveat Emptor

KC5YSQ, K8ZFJ, AB1WX and 6 others like this.
  7. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Simple solutions are always welcome in this case. Especially in reasons of space or other issues.

W3AEM and KD9RBY like this.
  8. KD2MIC

KD2MIC Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing portable about that monster is that it should fit into your trunk.
    This one isn't for me but thanks for the review.

9. KA6IBM

KA6IBM Ham Member QRZ Page

how much powere were you running?

10. W3AEM

W3AEM QRZ Lifetime Member #543 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nice review -- thanks for taking time to do it! Don't let any of these haters diminish your enthusiasm for radio. Just *spin the dial* and keep learning and loving radio.

73, Darrell

KI5UXW, KD2HPQ, WB4UR and 1 other person like this.
  11. KE6MAK

KE6MAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Good choice of flagpole holder, for my yard I do need a mallet but it's still a fast process. As to the antenna, mixed reviews as seen in comments...dummy load, too pricey for what it is. Reportedly they use a 5:1 balun - for which there is a kit available for $29.00. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2849527634...8qiPavXC9Tc8ROEVBtfHYbHR8=|tkp:Bk9SR6LM-dvDYQ

22 feet of wire, enclosure for the balun and use a telescopic pole as a mast would cost around $100 USD depending on type/brand of pole. The 7M spiderbeam pole is $71USD but fishing pole types on e-Bay are less.
    http://www.vibroplex.com/contents/en-us/p3529.html

Not trying to steal or hijack your review Darrel, it was indeed well done and showed good results with the antenna. Just showing possible other way to end up with same/similar antenna.....because you know everyone says Hams are cheapskates. ;)

Howard

KR3DX likes this.
  12. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why someone would buy one rather than a vertical that works (with radials) like a 6BTV is beyond me.

N2EY, KR2C, AB1WX and 3 others like this.
  13. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Stating scientific principles does not make those people "haters". It makes them realists who have acquired enough factual knowledge to go beyond being gullible enough to believe exaggerated marketing claims that defy the laws of physics. I also believe that everyone should "keep learning", part of that learning process is to recognize BS when you see it and to seek the truth.

KE0GXN, W4NNF and KC3JH like this.
  14. KD4BMG

KA6IBM, running 100 watts.

15. KD4BMG

No worries Darrell, I'm used to these types of responses on this antenna.

I clearly state this antenna has a place and a use case, and that is the place and use case for which I recommend it, and what the video is all about.

It is a compromised antenna, but it works when I need to set up in 5 minutes, and tear down in 5 minutes in the HOA, and while I'm set up, I'm making contacts.

Bob

KI5UXW, KT4ZE, LB0YI and 6 others like this.