ad: Schulman-1

How can ham radio clubs attract and retain members in 2023?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0LWC, Jan 26, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K0LWC

K0LWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio clubs and hamfests are struggling across the country. What can they do improve their positioning and attract new members? Here are some thoughtful tips and ideas from our work here in Minnesota with our journey on http://www.minnesotahamradio.com that you can learn from.

Are there things working where you live that you would recommend to other clubs?

KO4LWJ, VU2VIZ, G5VZ and 20 others like this.
  2. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you improve radio clubs?

Take an objective look into the club's rear view mirror to understand what caused the club to degrade in the first place. Than... attempt to undo it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    KD4MOJ, DO2SGF, AB2YC and 12 others like this.
  3. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of club fall to the demise of politics and then crumble............many clubs want people to be in the club but when it comes to decision the club members have no say or the "elders " of the club seem to run the ship.

getting them hooked and keeping them hooked has often been a unique challenge

DO2SGF, WQ1C, VK2TEV and 8 others like this.
  4. WI4MM

WI4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

More public exposure? Setting up at community events, festivals, ect, allowing the curious to make a voice contact? And be friendly , inviting helpful . Not overwhelming on technical aspects, that knowledge is with time and experience, and mentoring.

KF5RHI, N5VAF, KE8VCB and 10 others like this.
  5. KN6KTI

KN6KTI Ham Member QRZ Page

^^^ This
    Get out there!

N5VAF, KC7TTT, N7VKH and 1 other person like this.
  6. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

They have to enjoy radio more then Roberts rules. Really they have to enjoy playing radio, and if the club isn’t getting out and doing radio things why even be there. You have to have fun little events. Like a Friday night club QRP POTA . Or a Friday or Saturday night rabbit hunt extravaganza that covers the region. The last hunt of the night leads to a barbecue. But a club has to get out and play radio for fun. Just like a car club gets out and has car fun. Rod runs, poker runs, Dino nights. we have to get out and have radio fun together. My radio goal for the spring once the weather turns fairly decent before it gets real hot I’m leading a rabbit hunt extravaganza.

Video from Tom Sawyer kind of reminds me of what needs to take place in a way. Granted Tom Sawyer talked them into giving him their prize possessions to do his work. But really they paid him and had a lot of fun. It’s about getting out and having fun together doing radio.

KO4LWJ, K8CGS, KD2HPQ and 8 others like this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you offer some evidence to back up that statement? Statistic, a link?

There are many clubs that have existed for decades take the South Jersey Radio Association which has been around continuously for over 100 years. There is a similar record for a Washington state club. Clearly they are doing something right. There may be some clubs who are having a problem but let's not make a statement that would seem to indicate all clubs are in trouble.

As to hamfest attendance you can't ignore other sources like Ebay or ham radio classified sites including here on the Zed having an impact.

KC5HWB likes this.
  8. W8VIJ

W8VIJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Stop buying doughnuts for the meeting.
    The ones who are surviving are the ones who are exploring new things and offer hands on training.
    Presentations are ok but they are not the end to a means. I get tired of them especially when it can't be applied to my life.
    Break out of your little clicks and talk to someone you don't know at the meeting.

G1OJJ, W9VOF, KB0UGQ and 4 others like this.
  9. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

CHECK OUT N1FD.

KB1GKN likes this.
  10. KE8TIQ

KE8TIQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

my local club are a bunch of stuck up old guys that make fun of CB and GMRS.. a friend and I set up Michigans largest GMRS repeaters and made more Hams out of them than their club in the last two years yet they make fun of us. this is why him and I are building our own club.

WD5IOI, KI7PMQ, KO4LWJ and 25 others like this.
  11. KN6KTI

KN6KTI Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree! No more boring presentations! Hands on tutoring.

K8CGS, W2BBQ, N1SAK and 5 others like this.
  12. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,there is always free beer...I mean door prizes.

KE8AME, W3DO, W9VOF and 5 others like this.
  13. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

We had a radio/chess club in primary school. Early exposure meant that it carried through to adulthood.

K9NAP and KB7TXS like this.
  14. KA1JBE

KA1JBE Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at 40m and 80m at night....The FCC has given up on getting these qrm'ers.
    Ham radio is no fun to people when all they hear is that crap.

15. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

The very best way to attract and retain members, is to offer frequent VEC testing!!
    One of our local clubs, R.O.O.S.T. (Radio Operators Of South Texas), offers
    testing every first , and second Saturday of the month, not once a year at a 'fest.
    Texas, being very large, some drive hours for a chance to test. ( as a VE, I once
    tested XE1KK for his US Extra, he came in from XE land).
    Get the club members trained, and maybe offer testing before the Robert's Rule stuff
    at the meetings?

We used to have to find our way to an F.C.C. office to test. (usually only in larger cities)
    If some one can test fairly locally, and fairly frequently, those P.O.T.A. observers may
    become a little more motivated, if you tell them they can come on down to the meeting,
    get a licence study guide, and we'll be here a couple times a Month when you're ready
    to test.

Make access easier, and more will show up to enjoy our hobby.
    Have your club set up frequent VE testing.
    (just my opinion, but I've seen it work for decades here)
    73, Jon

KB7TXS, W8VIJ, KB2QQM and 4 others like this.