ad: CQMM-1

Some Winter Radio Fun

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7KOM, Jan 8, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7KOM

N7KOM Ham Member QRZ Page

For my first Polar Bear Full Moon Madness event I chose to activate Frog Lake Buttes. A modest road ski / snowshoe south of Mt Hood. It was pouring rain on our drive up the mountain, but we lucked out with some fantastic conditions that let me play HF.

Radio gear: Elecraft KX2 with EFRW
    Yaesu FT-60r with MFJ Longranger and Signal Stick

73 de Tim N7KOM

KC3KXK, KJ7JYJ, N3AWS and 14 others like this.
  2. W4ATO

W4ATO Ham Member QRZ Page

beautiful day , beautiful journey. with perfect snowball snow...thanks for the journey

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    N3AWS and N7KOM like this.
  3. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateurs go where penguins fear to tread!

upload_2023-1-11_12-9-34.png

Congratulations on braving the cold, For the SOTA activation!

True dedication deserves recognition!

WELL DONE!

PY2NEA, ER5GB, N7KOM and 3 others like this.
  4. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great Job!

N7KOM likes this.
  5. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I got pneumonia just watching. Looks like you had some fun. My days of skiing and hamming are long over.

Could you share some details on your HF antenna & coax used? How well did the coax hold up in the cold?

N7KOM likes this.
  6. N7KOM

Hi KL7KN, I used the K6ARK End-Fed Random Wire antenna with a 41' radiator and a 17' counterpoise. The matching unit is built directly onto the feedline, so no coax is necessary. Adams video of the build is here: Same kit can be used to make the EFRW version.

K9EZ and KL7KN like this.
  7. W0RCG

W0RCG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is amazing what the right gear and the right attitude can do! Oh yes, and the youthful age doesn't hurt any either. Congrats on the successful activation - keep collecting all those experiences as they are fun to look back on later in life.

N7KOM likes this.
  8. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, good job as usual. 72 from N7KO

N7KOM likes this.
  9. N7KOM

Woops I meant the matching unit is built directly onto the BNC connector. No feedline! 73!

K9EZ and KL7KN like this.
  10. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What a great time to run SOTA! Band conditions are wonderful, and it makes it a bunch easier to get contacts! Hope to get you in the log soon!

Great video!

Thanks!

Kent K9EZ

N7KOM likes this.
  11. W4FID

W4FID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like lots of fun and a successful operation. Winter SOTA in WA with cold and snow. June FD in FL with heat and thunder storms. Hard to tell which of us has the most fun. We don't have any SOTA locations here (at least that I know about) but we do have bugs and reptiles. So I guess everybody has something. hihi. 73

KJ7JYJ, KA0SOH and N7KOM like this.
  12. KA0SOH

KA0SOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting stuff.

13. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I finally dusted off my backpack for 2023 and activated a snowy/icy hilltop in central NH this week, earned my first ever SOTA bonus points.

Hike safe y'all

N7KOM likes this.
  14. N7KOM

Congrats! Have fun, stay safe.

15. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow what a nice adventure! Always thought about doing something like this back in the day. So you winter activation really appealed to me. Nice job!!! My first QSL card from 2010/11.

Attached Files: