ad: QSLWorks-1

QSO Today with Mark Persons W0MH

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Jan 1, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2023-1-1_19-56-8.jpeg

Mark Persons, W0MH, was a recent speaker at the QSO Today Virtual Ham Expo where he presented “How to build a Broadcast Engineer’s Version of a HF Amateur Radio Station, detailing his home ham radio shack installation meeting broadcast standards. Broadcast radio ran in Mark’s family, and he spent a long and successful career as a broadcast engineer, contributing tens of articles to professional and amateur radio publications, and is the consummate radio mentor, volunteer and ham radio elmer. W0MH is my QSO Today.

https://www.qsotoday.com/podcasts/W0MH

N0NQD, W7XLR, W1DRV and 9 others like this.
  2. AL7A

AL7A Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew Mark back when I was a member of the Brainerd Amateur Radio Club and just starting in my telecom career. Wonderful guy and very knowledgeable.

N4FZ likes this.
  3. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Mark is one of the reasons that I love associating with the QSO Today Virtual Expo. Professional training by people who know what they are talking about. Thanks, Eric, and Mark for another great topic.

N4FZ and 4Z1UG like this.
  4. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope Mark spent time talking about how
    his engineering expertise has led
    to the re-homing and use of retired AM broadcast transmitters
    on our bands.
    What a generous person!

WB4ZVR likes this.
  5. WB4ZVR

WB4ZVR Ham Member QRZ Page

So cool to start reading about Mark Persons, because the test gear on his bench includes broadcast units, and happy surprise to see my friend Paul WA3VJB from 50 years ago comment!

6. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget to listen to the interview with Mark.

7. W6FRD

W6FRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Man I would absolutely like to be one of his students in his classroom, to learn about electronics in general, these kind of individuals are rare days. W6FRD

K0CXF, ZL4AV and KG7DTF like this.
  8. K7QA

K7QA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mark has been a broadcast engineering colleague and friend since the late 1970s. We purchased several of his studio broadcast accessories he designed, fabricated and sold to the industry for many years. His podcast on how to incorporate broadcast transmission installation techniques into ham radio station construction, especially effective grounding is excellent and should be considered by all hams. An absolute must for those building well-appointed stations using towers and multiple antennas. We would all do well by emulating Mark's personal example as one who has always been willing to give back and assist anyone in the broadcast or amateur radio communities with his 50+ years of experience and knowledge.
    73, Tom McGinley K7QA

9. W6FRD

W6FRD Ham Member QRZ Page

10. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

GEEZ, Chip!!!!
    Knock me off the chair! Yaello !!!!

Seeing you're in SC now. I think the last time I knew, you were in Tennessee somewhere.
    Are you planning on getting back on with us? There's a lot to catch up about, in our part of the hobby.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?forums/amplitude-modulation.108/

11. KC0JEZ

KC0JEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The man, the myth, the legend! I've had the good fortune to know and work with Mark for over 30 years. He was the contract engineer for the radio stations I work for for the past 35 years. Although I was (and still am) chief engineer for the stations, when something was beyond my abilities
    or beyond what I had equipment to work with, Mark was the guy. Here's a Mark Persons quirk: He would be working at our AM station which was an ABC affiliate years ago and we carried Paul Harvey's noon news. No matter what he was doing, when Paul was on work stopped,
    he sat and ate lunch and listened to Mr. Harvey, then it was right back to work. it's worth seeking out Mark's website. Click and follow every link. The photos and stories are fascinating!

ZL4AV likes this.
  12. K0CXF

K0CXF Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow I want a Ham Shack/Man Cave like Mark has!! :)