ad: AbAuRe-1

NASA confirms; the Earth magnetic field is declining

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Dec 12, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Everybody;

I have just finished the 50 day running average calculation and graph on propagation and I found something odd with it.

The graph shows 24 h daily propagation and a flat line indicates no communication. The time is UTC and the location is the West Coast of America PST - 8 h. As we stated earlier the ionosphere is getting thinner as the magnetic field weakens. As you can see in the graph only the 15 m and the 10 m band show any decent propagation at all and 20 m and below is very weak and sporadic.

One would expect as the ionosphere weakens the propagation in the lower bands that have a longer wavelength seizes, because they need a thicker ionosphere to be refracted. At the same time when the SF is around 130 one would expect the higher bands no to be available either.

Something changed in the way propagation behaves and it is not what we know from the past.

upload_2022-12-12_5-37-45.png

The RF-Seismograph has measured these anomalies and now the explanation, as earth magnetic field decreases the effect would be visible in the propagation and the ionosphere. Since the earth field decreases the quakes would be the next thing that would then change the ionosphere as the last defence in attenuating the solar radiation and wind!

Watch the video here:

Let me know what you think and thank you for posting this in the forum;

Alex – VE7DXW

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    KF0GKC, PD0FER, KC1SFQ and 11 others like this.
  2. VE9IT

VE9IT Ham Member QRZ Page

What mode were you using to get your statistics? I have wanted to do something similar.

3. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Plot points on graph, with time as 'X-Axis'.
    Draw a line through points, extend the line, and tell us when we go to ZERO !

WA6TNW and KA1BSZ like this.
  4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Plenty of published and peer reviewed papers and monographs on this over the past few years

[2201.00856] Weak magnetic field changes over the Pacific due to high conductance in lowermost mantle (arxiv.org)

and a lot of PopSci as well
    Earth's magnetic field fluctuations explained by new data : News Center (rochester.edu)

Even NASA flagged tis back in 2003
    Earth's Inconstant Magnetic Field | Science Mission Directorate (nasa.gov)

Since 2010 NASA has used space-based measurement systems - for those that would rather watch a video that read - GMS: Magnetometry 101 (nasa.gov)

KI7PMQ, K4DXG and VE7DXW like this.
  5. VE9IT

VE9IT Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KE8IER

KE8IER Ham Member QRZ Page

Link to NASA article please?

7. KA2PTE

KA2PTE Ham Member QRZ Page

No big deal its Bipolar disorder. Happens all the time.

KN6VYP, KD9WIX, NJ1S and 14 others like this.
  8. VE7DXW

9. VE7DXW

These changes occurred in the past and it was inconvenient, but life survived. So it is not necessary the end of the planet and one saving grace may be our large moon, that is tidal locked with earth. So that means a lot energy is exchanged between the two bodies and it will boost a secondary field so earth is not totally unprotected. Maybe something to look into and further research.

KC0MFW, KG4BFR, N6CXD and 2 others like this.
  10. VE7DXW

These changes occurred in the past and it was inconvenient, but life survived. So it is not necessary the end of the planet and one saving grace may be our large moon, that is tidal locked with earth. So that means a lot energy is exchanged between the two bodies and it will boost a secondary field so earth is not totally unprotected. Maybe something to look into and further research.

KC0MFW and KL7KN like this.
  11. AC1HH

AC1HH QRZ Lifetime Member #620 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is not a link to the NASA article.

If you go to this video on youtube and click on the description (read more section), you get information including this:

"DISCLAIMER:
    Our channel is purely made for entertainment purposes, based on facts, rumors, and fiction."

I'm not really sure that this qualifies as "news" any more than a video about bigfoot.

KN6VYP, KL5LD, W4HM and 17 others like this.
  12. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

There are different reasons concerning of to change the polarity of the magnetic field of Earth and the propagation in the atmosphere.

Scientist found that the polarity always changed in the past. Not only the Sun change within between 9 up to 14 years. The core of the Earth does the same, but much slower. And the known Northpole on Earth is always moving, what was observed by different measures.

At next the HF propagation changed noticeable too in the last years. That depends on the climate change and the knowing windstreams. Because different streams of wind are slowing down, so that the gas and magnetic clouds dont move in that speed that we known from the past. So when the weather itself, with its low and high pressure areas became in the last years more and more slower, which gave us often a constant weather in good or bad, this mirrors the behave in the upper atmosphere too. All in all everything belongs together in this or that way.

13. PY7RP

PY7RP Ham Member QRZ Page

By ur graphs there is no way to say it is evident the ionosphere is getting thinner. Even 50 days of data is not enought to guarantee a good conclusion... You state that "a flat line means no communication"... Actually daily it is happenning a lot of communications! Hi Hi Hi... Today i contacted over 50 JAs, BYs, VKs, ZLs on 10 meters via LP/FT8!... You need to get on the bands to say "there is no communication"... it is easy to check the contrary. Theory without experimentation is nothing!.

ZS1UOK, 2E0NJK, WD5IOI and 6 others like this.
  14. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've noticed that there is not as much static electricity in the air. That's great! I hate power line noise and noise from other sources, but now this. nice!

15. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to read more carefully: Alex says that below 20m there's hardly any communication whereas at 15m and 10m there is a lot. Just as you experienced. I found 40m surprisingly quiet last week.

W6QT, KI6BTY, VK4BNC and 1 other person like this.