ad: Flexradio-1

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. September 28, 2022.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Sep 27, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. September 28, 2022.

TA2IRX, AC5Q and DO1FER like this.
  2. KD2GIY

KD2GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

HAMS GET NO RESPECT UNTIL YOU NEED US !

TA2E, TA2IRX, KQ1V and 4 others like this.
  3. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

But you will only get respect, when your knowings are well. To say I did my license and thats it, that cant be. And that in the times of a hurricane the shortwave is obsolete, should be known as well as how to get out of this situation with VHF. And there are much more things that will come after the exams. But some hams are often snooty, because they did the exams, maybe can do CW, and they think that they know always which way the cat jumps. And with this opinion its not only the beginners, often these are operators with a long years experience too.

TA2E, TA2IRX, KB3MKD and 1 other person like this.
  4. KD2GIY

KD2GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, I have had the honor to put my skills to use to save a gentleman once.

HA3FLT, K5OBJ, NJ4I and 1 other person like this.
  5. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IMO, amateur radio is a wonderful hobby; however, as a "service" meh, it is truly amateurish at best. I appreciate all the folks who volunteer for parades, marathons, etc., as I volunteered as an auxiliary police officer, so I can relate. That said, I always knew my place and my roles and responsibilities. I never over-stretched or over-reached. I found that volunteer roles are usually quite limited, while there are plenty of professionals, FEMA, State-EMA, Red Cross, yet sometimes hammy hams just get in the way. As a friend once told me, "...let the professionals do their job."

I've observed hams can be an over-zealous bunch, self-importance, and self-indignation. People want to help, sure, but I'd assert that hams seem to take it to the next level... whacker mobiles and high viz vests.

I'm certain someone will disagree with me, who cares. - Hank, a No Code Extra w/ a Vanity Callsign.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    KC3SNR likes this.