ad: elecraft

Boats On The Air - Updated Rules

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KT6R, Sep 8, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KT6R

KT6R Ham Member QRZ Page

LED: Boats On The Air has eased the program's rules to encourage participation.

Photo: [​IMG]

Hi All,

We are delighted to see the Boats on the Air program featured in the September, 2022 issue of QST. Since we first posted to QRZ over a year ago, we've received great feedback on how we can make it better. As a result, we've changed the rules so they are more encompassing of more activation scenarios. Here's the current list:

Rules
    1. As long as it safely floats, any type of watercraft is allowed to be used.
    2. The boat may be underway, anchored, moored or in port/alongside.
    3. You must make a minimum of 4 QSOs for your activity to count toward a BOTA activation.
    4. Chasers still gain credit, even if the activator hasn’t reached 4 QSOs.
    5. The activator must submit the log on www.boatsontheair.com.
    6. Activator must obey Local, State and Federal Safety guidelines and laws or will be disqualified.
    7. Use of repeaters is not allowed for activations.
    Next on the list for the website is to allow users to post their upcoming activations and then be able to upload their logs in ADIF format. Your patience is appreciated - this is a 100% volunteer program run by folks who are passionate about radio and boating.

Feel free to reach out to boatsontheair@gmail.com with any questions, feedback or suggestions.

Thank you and 73,

Kent
    AJ6NI

KG4BFR, KB3GRG, M0VKP and 15 others like this.
  2. KE5XA

KE5XA Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW, if that boat had 224 on the sail it would be my former boat. Nice pic, brings back a lot of good memories.

3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not a boater per se, but I have a kayak. Might be fun to do some 2m FM BOTA. :D
    Ain't no way I'm taking my KX2 out on a boat though.

Chris

WB7CAT, WD4ELG and W9EBE like this.
  4. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Should be easy. Whenever I announced marine mobile I had people jump on it.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe Captain Dave will be back. o_O

AC3DB, W2VW, KI4ZWM and 3 others like this.
  6. W1RDT

W1RDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm thinking about taking along a boat anchor...

K9RBH, W0VTT, KF4NXY and 5 others like this.
  7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was a yute, living in Silicon Valley, we had a Danish Folkboat:
    http://www.folkboat.com/
    We sailed all round San Francisco bay in the thing.....and contrary to what East Coasters say, San Francisco Bay is some ROUGH sailing. :)

8. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Try the Maine coast in December. Your not really sailing till your beating ice off the sails.

9. KT6R

KT6R Ham Member QRZ Page

We've had some inquiries about whether using repeaters on Satellites and Space Stations are allowed. We will make an exemption for those!

K4MID, NN6U and KI7QEK like this.
  10. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is Fresh water allowed? I live on a lake and did Field Day a few years ago anchored out in the lake on my pontoon boat. Set up a
    fiberglass mast with an end fed and 100W from an FT-897

KM4DWJ, KK6ILV, W7JZE and 4 others like this.
  11. KC8YTK

KC8YTK Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems like there are more maritime mobile hams in the Pacific than in the Atlantic. Case in point - I went into California Yacht Club (Los Angeles) once since I'm an avid racer. Some of the members took me to their ham radio room and told me how they have an amateur radio club within the yacht club. I believe they use 2m and 6m for most of the coastal races and then all the HF bands for the TransPac Race (Los Angeles to Hawaii) in addition to marine SSB. Back here in Charleston, SC, no one even knows what ham radio is for the most part and I haven't really run into anyone in my experiences along the coast who uses ham on their boats. Seems a lot more rare but I wish it wasn't rare!

12. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll have to do this sometime:
    shack1.jpg

K1OC, W8LFA, W1AEK and 2 others like this.
  13. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

No Boat here but do have a 9 ft Surf board :cool:
    Doubt if there will be Surfboards on the Air events !
    G3SEA/KH6

K4MID likes this.
  14. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

SOTA's already taken, find another acronym. :D

Chris

KG6BXW, K4MID and VU2EXP like this.
  15. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rules
    1. As long as it safely floats, any type of watercraft is allowed to be used.