ad: portazero-1

HamRadioNow 439: It's Not CW (It's Morse code)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Aug 29, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? Another CLICKBAIT title? Aren't we beyond doing that to get views?

Apparently not. But East Coast Host Gary K4AAQ (me) makes a compelling (or lame, you decide) argument to West Coast Host David W0DHG and Midwest Correspondent Kyle AA0Z.

It boils down to this (so you can have a vigorous QRZ debate without having to actually watch the show):

CW - continuous wave - is a transmission mode. It's just a dead carrier until you do something with it, like simply turning it on and off in a predetermined pattern. Say, Morse code. So you don't 'operate CW', you operate Morse code (using CW). Well, that gets convoluted. I suppose you could argue then that you don't 'operate SSB'. You operate voice (or 'phone') using SSB. Whatever... we're not going to change the world, we just wanted to get the views and the subs.

But a more compelling case can be made for the comment that you can't 'learn CW'. You definitely learn Morse code.

We're not done. Is it really Morse code (and note that we don't capitalize 'Code'). Shouldn't it be Morse's code. It's his code, after all (don't get us started on the Vale thing, because yeah, it's Vale's code, but that's just proving our point about the 's possessive, no mater whose name you use). So now we do expect hams to correct their age old habit and call it Morse's code from now on. ARRL and SKCC, are you listening?

KQ7D, DL6BCX, W9LRM and 6 others like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess it's time to scrape the bottom of the barrel for YouTube topics. For the 62+ years I've spent on the air, the two have been pretty much interchangeable in most references. How many mode switches on rigs have you observed with the word Morse instead of CW?

N2EY, N3IOE, K8NY and 32 others like this.
  3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unless you're talking about the FCC rules. Part 97.3(c)(1) defines the term "CW" to mean "International Morse code telegraphy ..."

I'm not necessarily claiming the FCC is correct on this point, but I would claim two things
    1. The FCC definition is the one to use when speaking in context of the FCC rules.
    2. The fact that they worded their definition that way is a symptom of the fact that CW and Morse have been very much intertwined in the consciousness of radio operators for a long time.
    Insisting that everyone else observe the distinction between CW and Morse is going to be about as productive as insisting that people refer to making QSO's using "English Language phone, modulated with SSB". Most people are going to just say "SSB", and let you figure out the rest from context, just like they say "CW" and let you figure out that they were using Morse code.

DL6SEZ, N2EY, KK9D and 11 others like this.
  4. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Me personally, I operate speech I guess.

Anyhow, you need to learn to contort your face OM if as you say, you “Want to get the views and the subs”…..something akin to being extremely constipated would be a great start! ;):D

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    K0LWC, KA4DPO, YB0BBJ and 6 others like this.
  5. WB2PMC

WB2PMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, the code tests I had to take long ago were in Continental Code as I recall. Slightly different from Morse's original code. But I could be wrong.
    Rick, WB2PMC

KC1EZV, G4WSQ and N7KO like this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Semantics. That is all. My XYL calls it beeping. Who cares what you call it? Just do it!

DL6SEZ, G4WSQ, KL0T and 18 others like this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

My first code test was 1959 and it was the same code as is used today. You are 9 years younger, so not sure what year your test was taken.

KA4DPO and K8DQ like this.
  8. KD5ALD

KD5ALD Ham Member QRZ Page

Friedrich Gerke
    He the man who reworked the older telegraph Morse
    We practice Gerke :)
    We all who tested
    Took a test of the Gerke code

DL6SEZ, WA4ELW, K4NXS and 2 others like this.
  9. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're talking to the general public and say "CW" you'll most likely get blank looks in return, but if you say "Morse code" you'll almost always get an engaged response, even if it's only "you still use that?"...

WA4ELW, AJ6KZ, W8KIC and 5 others like this.
  10. N0SAP

N0SAP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am proficient at both. Always wondered why the term SK (Silent Key) is used for those who never used or learned CW/Morse Code. There was a time long ago where all had to know this mode of operation which explains the term SK. I'm asking for a friend.

K5QED, N5FDR, K9XR and 6 others like this.
  11. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

It's just a traditional carry over from when they did all learn or use CW. Somehow, "silent mic" or "silent keyboard" won't cut it. Similar to saying 73 at the end of a phone QSO instead of Best regards.

K8XG and KD2BBC like this.
  12. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

I always thought SK was Dead.
    E's passed on! This Amateur is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace!

K0TWA, GI0LAM, M6TUE and 2 others like this.
  13. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SSBers maybe should be SM….Silent Mic.

FT-8ers maybe SC..Silent Computer…:eek:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    N3IOE, K2AMF, KJ7QQG and 11 others like this.
  14. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Tomato versus Tomaahto (shrug).
    Just remember you need a balanced diet in life.
    If your operating lifestyle is all Phone/FT8 you are living on junk food :D

WA4ELW, K5QED, W0DN and 7 others like this.
  15. ON4DHL

ON4DHL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, on my transceiver, you will find the mode cw, but you can take also Gilbert's code, hi...

TA2IRX likes this.