ad: AbAuRe-1

5 Useful 3D PRINTER PROJECTS For HAM RADIO

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0DQW, Aug 22, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0DQW

M0DQW Ham Member QRZ Page

If you've never used a 3D printer but are intrigued, then take a look at this video. Using the printer shown in this video makes home brewing Ham gear pretty easy.

IZ8FFA, K9FV, M0VKP and 11 others like this.
  2. IZ2LWE

IZ2LWE Ham Member QRZ Page

N9AK and ZL3PIE like this.
  3. W0AEZ

W0AEZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3D printing truly is a powerful tool.

I’ve actually designed and printed my own tripod for a whip antenna, similar to the wolf river coil.
    I’m quite pleased with how it turned out!

NC7U and W4MMR like this.
  4. KM6HBH

KM6HBH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

3D printers are really useful. But to buy one, just for a few own projects to have a perfect result? For myself there is no need for. So I will buy the standard cases or something like this and then I modify this parts manually.

AK5B and N8TGQ like this.
  6. VK2JI

VK2JI Ham Member QRZ Page

A 3D printer would be a great resource for a ham radio club to have and allow competent members to use in the clubrooms to print their latest "must have" item. The user would pay for the consumables and use would be restricted to members only, making joining the club more attractive to those who are considering joining.
    73 Ed.

KD9QOB, N8NVC, VU2EXP and 6 others like this.
  7. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about Germany, but here in the US some libraries have "maker areas" that offer free services such as 3d printing. You bring your STL file, they'll slice and print it.

That said, I bought a 3d printer on sale at a steep discount with just a couple ideas in mind, but then found a bunch more. It's one of those things that once you have the tool, you'll find uses for it. Half of my prints have been for non-ham applications.

Chris

K4FMH, VU2EXP, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  8. M0KLG

M0KLG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's all part of boys toys, I use mine for radio kit and fishing kit, kitchen gadgets. PXL_20220607_152240414.jpg

NR9Q, AK5B, N9TEA and 2 others like this.
  9. KD4PBS

KD4PBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing says, "I'm edgy and cool" better than spending 2 hours designing a 3D part which takes 6 hours to print that could be much more easily and quickly (and likely more effectively and inexpensively) been made from a block of wood.
    Yes, I have a 3-D printer, Fusion 360, and also do bunches of woodworking, so this is speaking from experience. ;)

AK5B, N8TGQ, KF0XU and 1 other person like this.
  10. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Such things like maker areas are not so often in Germany. Its a starting trend here. And in my hometown there is nothing like this. Our library expands with digital media of different kinds. But that contains not 3D printing.

Cornelius

AK5B and KE8BDQ like this.
  11. WU7X

WU7X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice! My son has a 3D printer. May have to give him some projects to print out for me.

Dale WU7X

12. W2NER

W2NER Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have two
    IMG_6654.jpeg

NR9Q, K5AGE and US7IGN like this.
  13. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

[Will it work if I just use a regular 1-D printer, but put on 3-D glasses?]

AK5B, AA5IT, KF0XU and 1 other person like this.
  14. 9M2CKG

9M2CKG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

cool.....now i'm also using 3d printed part for amateur radio, download from thingiverse or create my own design like coil for 80m and 20m, usdx stand, efhw wire winder, wire end insulator, yagi element holder.....currently using ender 3 v2.

15. W2NER

W2NER Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the coil form I made (in two pieces, my new printer can do it in one piece). IMG_6202.jpeg

KU8RLY, NR9Q, AK5B and 6 others like this.