ad: Radclub22-1

QRZ-1 Explorer, Ham Radio Review And Walkthough!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Aug 20, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Follow up to my previous video, this is a brand new FCC accepted dual band amateur radio transceiver, created in joint sponsorship from www.QRZ.com and www.GigaParts.com ... Watch to learn more.. Leave a comment on my YouTube video and try to come up with something negative to tell me.. THESE COMPANIES ARE HELPING newly licensed technician class operators get on the air by giving them a free radio, and encouragement to get their license.. I can't find nothing bad to say, other than THANK YOU to the companies who put effort forth to make this happen.. In this video, you will hear about how they remapped the buttons, designed a new firmware and created an entire new "plain english" manual to make it understandable..

N9WFT, WB2IFS, KA0USE and 10 others like this.
  2. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Those TYT UV88s are actually decent little radios.

AA1AB, KI5YLQ, N5AQM and 2 others like this.
  3. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Awfully decent program for QRZ to lead. BZ

N9WFT, KK7KBU, KA0USE and 2 others like this.
  4. KJ7RBS

KJ7RBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey man first ones free ;):D:p

Wanna buy some spectrum?

KB9T, KD4ZFS, W6KJB and 4 others like this.
  5. KQ4CPA

KQ4CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I took advantage of this program, fast delivery of radio. I appreciate the program and this radio since I was uncertain as to which radio to buy or what to look for in a radio.

N9WFT, KA0USE, KR4EZ and 1 other person like this.
  6. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have a question. Look at them on the Gigaparts Page. No Specs List other than 5 Watts and Dual Band. As these are FCC Type Accepted - are these Ham Band Only? Want to say if they can be modified for MARS/CAP ?? Thanks

7. N1JJB

N1JJB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was impressed with this Jumpstart program and I live in a very rural area. We have a FB group called Homesteading Classifieds in my area and had to post the info. Cell reception is questionable at best in my area so I hope the other people in my area will take advantage of this program and add to our Ham radio community. WTG QRZ and Gigaparts!

N9WFT and KA0USE like this.
  8. KQ4DAD

KQ4DAD Ham Member QRZ Page

As a new Technician, I was very confused as to which radio to buy, but this program really made my decision simple and I can’t thank Gigaparts and QRZ enough! Looking forward to receiving my radio this week and getting on the air!!…73!!

N9WFT, KC7SKY, KA0USE and 1 other person like this.
  9. N1JJB

Had a chance to play with the radio over the last couple days and I was pleased with the work done on them. It honestly put my Kayak Radio (UV5R) to shame! The booklet is very well done and easy to comprehend while the radio preforms as it should. Great little Radio!

TX Reports: Good clear Audio with full quieting.
    RX: Compared to my 2 Yaesu HT's and UV5R this little thing is LOUD as heck.
    Batt: Did not use it much for TX but I had it monitor 2 repeaters off charger base for 48hrs and it still had 1/4 battery life left at the end of the 48hrs. Granted my area does not have high repeater activity but still did better than expected.

73's

10. KN6VUM

KN6VUM Ham Member QRZ Page

Love this radio. Can’t believe it was free thru jumpstart!!
    Now I need a programming cable,
    USB-K4Y
    !!

N9WFT, KA0USE and NL7W like this.
  11. N1JJB

The UV5R cable and Mic are the same for this radio. As far as I am aware, you still have to buy the software. Software is like $25. Go to your local repeater group and I'm sure they can help you program it as long as they have the software.

12. KB2COA

KB2COA Ham Member QRZ Page

Love this program, just got my tech license and applied for the QRZ-1. Will be a good step up from my UV-5R.

13. N5JJT

N5JJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Many thanks to the management and leadership of Gigaparts and QRZ.com for their generosity!

This program is scheduled to end at the end of this month and I was afraid I'd miss out on the program. I tested for the tech license on Saturday, got my license early Tuesday morning and signed up for my account on QRZ.com, and began seeing if QRZ.com had updated their database.

Warning: if you check a specific callsign over 25 times in 24 hours, you get locked out.

Wednesday afternoon (roughly 18 hours after the license was issued, my login at QRZ.com looked different, so I went straight to the application page, filled it out and received the super-secret and personal coupon code. Switch to Gigaparts, set up an account, select the radio, paid for my acessories, and the order summary shows the selected radio is OUT OF STOCK.

I really thought I'd missed out on the limited supply and that the Jumpstart program ended early, but within the hour I had an email from Gigaparts telling me I would receive my radio in 2 to 4 weeks, (just like any other customer!).

I also ordered an extra battery with the USB-C charging option, I see a long term business relationship with Gigaparts developing quickly...

Bottom line, I'll be on the air when the supply chain allows, but not at all without QRZ.com and Gigaparts! Thanks again...

N9WFT, K5JKR and KA0USE like this.
  14. KB2COA

KB2COA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ordered mine. Still pending after a week sadly but patiently waiting. Can’t wait to talk past GMTS.

15. KC3UVO

KC3UVO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

is there a scan mode?