ad: QuirkyQRP-1

NEW Icom IC-905 VHF/UHF/SHF FIRST LOOK! 144MHz-10GHz

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Aug 19, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Leaked photo of the Icom IC-905 to be released at the Tokyo Hamfair 2022!

CO6SE, W3SED, IW2NTD and 10 others like this.
  2. W0DN

W0DN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10 GHz is as dead as Elvis Presley in Missouri

KF4IRE, KJ7NTQ, KA4DPO and 12 others like this.
  3. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

I still like my Kenwood TS-430. While this radio looks impressive, if it had the HF ham bands, it really would be an almost DC to daylight radio.
    I'm sure there are hams that will experiment with 10 ghz, I doubt the majority will. I wonder what the price will be on this thing.

KO4ESA, KB7AVT and US7IGN like this.
  4. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All those bands but they skipped 220?

KW4BY, KO4ESA, KO2Q and 11 others like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

The only region in the world with 220 as a ham band is Region 2

That's the reason MOST new radios don't include that band. The Americas are really the only ham market that uses that band, and the largest ham market in the world (Japan) does not nor does the EU have 220. Regions 1 and 3 have no access.

Just not financially viable for the manufacturers to bother for just a single market (the Americas)

Dave
    W7UUU

W0YRE, KO4ESA, KO2Q and 16 others like this.
  6. AK5B

Right; kind of what I figured, Dave but wasn't sure about the band plans over there. I hope this rig is very successful in both sales and in stimulating activity on the microwaves in the coming years---that could be exciting!

If I still lived in California where there was always a lot of UHF/SHF activity during contests I would snap up one of these rigs in a heartbeat (but may still do so down here on the Gulf to catch some tropo if this takes off as we would hope).

Jeff (old weak-signal nut)

PS: Kudos to the videographer for a worthwhile and intelligent presentation, too!

KO4ESA, HB9EPC, KT5OT and 2 others like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Another way to look at this: VERY few hams were on 1296 until the Icom IC-9700 but now, it has become a viable contest band for a lot more hams (myself included).

So if the IC-905 takes off in the same way, 2gig, 5gig, and 10gig could very well have the same effect: hams start buying this new rig as an extension to their band capabilities just like many of us did with the 9700, and before you know it, these SHF bands become far more viable than ever before!

Dave
    W7UUU

KD2BBC, KO4ESA, G1OJJ and 10 others like this.
  8. AK5B

So very true and I do hope to see that happen as well. The antennas for these bands are much smaller and can fit into a HOA scenario well as they look more like TV antennas (that can't be prohibited anywhere).

Coincidentally, I'm almost finished putting my Create 50-1300MHz log periodic together:
    DSC01573.JPG
    DSC01575.JPG
    DSC01576QRZ.jpg
    It's really no bigger than a large TV antenna (as rare as those are nowadays) and would be a good one to use for at least three or four bands that the IC-905 has.

"Gentlemen, get out your diplexers!" :)

KW4BY, W0YRE, KO4ESA and 15 others like this.
  9. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's hope ICOM (finally) eliminated ALC overshoot that is present in far too many if their new offerings.

KD2RJM, KO4ESA, KO2Q and 6 others like this.
  10. WN4WDE

WN4WDE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hopefully it won't need 300 bucks worth of aftermarket equipment to keep it from drifting like the 9700.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2022
    KT5OT, KO4ESA, G5WCW and 6 others like this.
  11. KA4ZZZ

KA4ZZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's because your not using that band, doesn't mean others arent.

KW4BY, KO4ESA, KD1ELK and 12 others like this.
  12. AF5CC

AF5CC Ham Member QRZ Page

Elvis isn't in Missouri, he is in Tennessee.

VA7UO, KO4ESA, K1DNC and 11 others like this.
  13. KA4ZZZ

KA4ZZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It is going to be funny if Icom comes out with a 220. Would not make since in everything they are developing they would not be developing for that market even it is only the Americas they sell. Probably pretty easy for them to come out with a 705-A for Americas with 220 added on. Or supply a 220 firm ware download for the band that would add it.

KO4ESA and KZ6TOD like this.
  14. W0DN

W0DN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In my neck of the woods 10 gHz is deader than Elvis Presley, there have been Elvis sightings, but no 10 gHz
    activity
    There were 2, repeaters for this band in the entire state, they are both off the air.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
    KO4ESA, KA7CCP and KB7AVT like this.
  15. KB1QYH

KB1QYH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Sorry, it was raining last night, so I couldn't get into the repeater......" LOL!!!

WD4IGX, KT5OT, KO4ESA and 7 others like this.