ad: M2Ant-1

QSO Today with Herb Goodluck N7HG on the Navajo Code Talkers during WW2

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Jun 20, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2022-6-20_22-2-32.png

QSO Today with Herb Goodluck N7HG on the Navajo Code Talkers during WW2

Herb Goodluck, N7HG, keeps the memory alive of the men,
    including his father, from the Navajo Nation. who served in the United
    States Marines during World War 2, in the Pacific, as "Code Talkers"
    and provided secure radio communications by speaking in the Navajo
    language. N7HG talks about the Navajo Nation and the contributions of
    the Code Talkers to the success of the war effort in this QSO Today.

https://www.qsotoday.com/podcasts/N7HG

NS8S, KE0ZNV, N4GST and 35 others like this.
  2. OZ1GIN

OZ1GIN Ham Member QRZ Page

OZ1GIN Likes this.

N6MMQ, K7YYG, KV4VO and 1 other person like this.
  3. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a TBY-6 transceiver, I believe it was something like 8-25 MHz with a 1/4 watt RF output... couple two three octals and three or four acorn tubes. Weighed 30+ pounds with the battery pack. God bless those Navajo Talkers.

N6MMQ, M0BAH, N4GST and 7 others like this.
  4. KB3WGE

KB3WGE Ham Member QRZ Page

K7YYG and K4AJJ like this.
  5. KB3WGE

KB3WGE Ham Member QRZ Page

My uncle Joe served USMC during WW2 combat engineer south Pacific, Semper Fi in his memory;73's Jimi kb3wge.

N4GST, K7YYG and K4AJJ like this.
  6. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not have the words, except to try and express my shame. When most European Americans at that time looked down on the American Indian Tribes, they were many Indian tribes that volunteered to serve in the American military, among them were the Navajo.
    Still today they are not given the respect they deserve.
    TU for giving Honor to some of there sacrifice to help keep our nation free.

N4GST, K7YYG, 4Z1UG and 15 others like this.
  7. K4AJJ

K4AJJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Herb Goodluck N7HG, I hope you don't mind me posting these HOPI Code Talkers. Photo's from the 81st Readiness Division, - they are posted near our Command Group. Thanks to your Father, and all Code Talkers for your service. Hopi_1.jpg Hopi_2.jpg

Attached Files:

K7YYG, AI5HG, KZ3H and 12 others like this.
  8. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

TU, there many tribes that have fought and are still serving in the US military Like the HOPI , Navajo, Cheyenne, Comanche, Cherokee, Osage, and Yankton Sioux.
    I would like to thank all of those that served in the wars, They volunteered, putting there lives in danger, many lost there lives during the wars.
    And to think about how they were treated by fellow solders that they fought beside, not all Whites were predigest to our American Indian, but a lot were. Sad that some still are.

N4GST, K7YYG, KV4VO and 4 others like this.
  9. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the Diné Code Talker memorial in Window Rock, Arizona

53F4F1FE-A7F9-485A-9203-27226291185C_1_105_c.jpeg 2279F0E4-8877-45FE-B3AB-69700785AB20.jpeg .

Photos are my work.

WA4KCN, N7DBI, KJ7JYJ and 16 others like this.
  10. KN4QHZ

KN4QHZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Greatest Generation. God bless them.

K7YYG, KQ1V, K3BPM and 7 others like this.
  11. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

The Code Talkers, as depicted in the war time photo and the memorial photos, were equipped with the H&R manufactured Reising model 55 SMG. A very unreliable weapon that Marines were ordered to throw into the Lunga River on Guadalcanal, by Lt.Col. Merritt Edson.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    K7YYG, DL4AD and K4AJJ like this.
  12. DL4AD

DL4AD Ham Member QRZ Page

May we endeavor to be worthy of the forgiveness these men showed in the giving of their bodies and minds.

K7YYG, WA1GXC, K0VWA and 4 others like this.
  13. W7RJB

W7RJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am honored to call Herb N7HG a friend. I have talked to him many times on HF and VHF. I used to work for ADOT and service the traffic signals in Chinle, Arizona. One day I had a gentlemen come up and asked if I knew Randy W7RJB. I told him that I was Randy. We talked for a little while. Herb is a great guy and good friend.

KL4R, W5CBP, N4GST and 3 others like this.
  14. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a good bit of history. The most I knew about it, I learned from listening to Floyd Red Crow Westerman (a real Indian who portrays a code-talker/writer) in a well known 1990's Sci-Fi.
    I didn't know for sure it was a real phenomenon though instinct tells you it had to be so.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    K7YYG, N7KO and K4AJJ like this.
  15. K4AJJ

K4AJJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WWI and WWII Code Talkers, At least 6 different Tribes had members who served as Code Talkers in World War I. At least 17 different Tribes had members who also served as Code Talkers in World War II, in addition to the Navajo Tribe (Naabeeho Diné or Diné, Diné Bizaad). WWI Cherokee, Choctaw, Osage, Cheyenne, Comanche, and Yankton Sioux. WWII Assiniboine, Cherokee, Choctaw, Crow, Kaw (Kansa), Menominee, Muscogee/Creek, Navajo, Sioux, Canadian Cree, Chippewa/Oneida, Comanche, Hopi, Kiowa, Meskwaki (Sac & Fox), Seminole, and Pawnee. Native Americans had the highest enlistment percentage of all ethnic American groups. “ITAM ITAA HOPIQATSIY AHOY NAPTOTINI” - “WE, OUR HOPI WAY OF LIFE SHALL BE ACCEPTED BACK…REGAINED”. Please view the attached for additional information and Code Talker history. Ref: http://380th.org/HOPI/2018HopiCodeTalkerPresentation.pdf

Attached Files:

K7YYG, KZ3H, DL4AD and 1 other person like this.