ad: Schulman-1

HamRadioNow: Back 'on the air' - YouTube videos and podcasts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, May 27, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

HamRadioNow is back!
    the most important Amateur Radio program on the Internet*

And so am I - Gary K4AAQ (slightly new call, same old KN4AQ).

I handed the show over to my co-host, David W0DHG in early 2018 so I could go make other (local, political) shows. I did that, but then I moved, so the local show didn't make sense (and never attracted much of an audience).

Meanwhile, David was discovering how hard it is to keep up a regular schedule of shows when you're the guy doing all the legwork of coming up with ideas and guests, keeping the hardware going, doing the editing and updating the web site, all while being dad to the kids and holding down a full-time job. I don't have kids, and my freelance (and now 'retired') schedule gave me just barely enough time to keep it going. Anyway, he produced several shows, but the project went fallow for much of 2021.

So now, here I am in South Carolina (in a Charlotte suburb). New house, new studio (same aging computer), and not too reluctantly spurring David on to get back in the saddle. We have a couple more regulars: Jim Aspinwall NO1PC, and Marty Sullaway NN1C (formerly with ).

Over the past few weeks, we've produced four full shows (video links below), and tried some 'pop-up' live events from the Hamvention® that were, um, not quite what I'd hoped, but maybe interesting anyway. So if you've missed us, you have some catching up to do.

If you're not familiar with HamRadioNow, we're mostly a talk show. We explore current ham radio topics, and bring in guests as much as possible (even though among the four of us, we really do know everything). We are a little different (but isn't everybody?). There's only one way to find out if we're what you've been missing all your life: Watch us . I should mention that the shows tend to be long. Two hours plus. Lots of banter, and we occasionally stick to the subject, but don't count on it. You've been warned. (How do you talk for more than two hours about Squelch? Watch and learn.)

Since getting back in the groove, we've been live on our YouTube Channel and our Facebook Group on Sunday nights at 5 Pacific, 8 Eastern. That's an experiment at this point. It might change. Of course the video sticks around for later viewing, and we send out an audio podcast feed shortly after completing the live show. Hunt for HamRadioNow in your podcast app (and note that we changed podcast feed hosts, so you may find two HamRadioNow shows listed. You want the 'current' one with shows from 2022). Everything is also available on our web site: HamRadioNow.tv . And I should add that we've been around a while. 2022 is our 10th Anniversary.

My thanks to the guys here on the Zed for letting me promote the shows!

73, Gary K4AAQ
    *meaningless puffery

K0UO, K0HGO, KC0KEK and 7 others like this.
  2. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have watched your shows since day one. Pretty good video/audio quality and good coverage of the seminars and technical meetings. Thanks.

KD5BVX likes this.
  3. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Jesus, I heard you were an SK or at least your videos were.

BTW, my niece lives in Hollywood SC, you near there ?

4. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad to see you back, Gary.

KD5BVX likes this.
  5. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

20 minutes until these folks start jim-jammering about GMRS...

6. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad you're back! Always good shows. Definitely good to have Gary back!

7. N2OA

N2OA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad you've returned and I just added the new feed to my podcasts. Too bad David couldn't keep it going but it's understandable.

8. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome back, Gary.

K4AAQ and KD5BVX like this.
  9. K4AAQ

Reports of my demise are premature, hopefully by many years (but ever closer). Hollywood SC is down by the coast, near Charleston. Fort Mill is adjacent to Charlotte NC, in what's called the 'Midlands' - about 160 miles from Hollywood.

10. K4AAQ

It is really hard to keep a podcast/YouTube show going for any length of time, as attested by the number of shows (general interest, not just ham radio) that are started and then 'podfade' after less than ten episodes. It's legendary in the 'biz'.

There are hours of prep and post work for even a slap-dash talk show like we usually do. Editing something more polished is exponentially harder. I'm probably not going to be doing much of that. I kept promising myself in my 'earlier incarnation' that I wouldn't do it.

With me doing most of the behind-the-scenes, David, Jim and Marty can appear on the show, bring any info they have, and split. I'm glad to pick it up from there. I have the time and almost enough energy!

11. K4AAQ

Thanks, Jason - and a public congratulations on the success of your show, HamRadio 2.0. You've worked hard!

KC5HWB likes this.
  12. KD2PSC

KD2PSC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad to have you back! just wish Ham Radio 360 would come back too! Great shows! and very helpful

K4AAQ likes this.
  13. K4AWC

K4AWC Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad you are back, Gary. You were the "OG" for YouTube HAM shows for me. I appreciate the free-form shows you have posted to date. It's like watching a HAM ragchew, but with video. Plus, I enjoy how you aren't afraid to call out the product manufacturers if they do something stupid. Hopefully, the new format will be less of a burden for you and the team to keep new content coming. Leave the deep-dive product reviews to the other guys, who are fighting for the love of Ray @ ICOM.

K0UO, K4AAQ and KD5BVX like this.
  14. YV5EN

YV5EN Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Gary. I'm glad you are back. Cheers and 73