ad: wmr-1

DoD COMEX 22-2 Amateur Radio 60m interop exercise has begun

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, May 3, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a BULLETIN for those interested in this topic.

The MARS-SHARES-AMATEUR RADIO inter-operation exercise DoD COMEX 22-2 has begun and is scheduled to continue for the next 5 days. See video below for more info.

Here is an audio clip of the kickoff broadcast from DoD station Alfa Alfa Mike (AAM) heard tonight in FL on 5330.5 kHz USB. Sorry for the QRN but it's become that season down here.

Preceding that xmsn was some random informal signal checking activity that may be of interest to hear on this clip.

Following the broadcast a simplex SSB SHARES FEMA net commenced on frequency with simulated exercises that included requests to Amateur Radio operators for specific info.

Listen to this clip and toward the end about 06:14 you will hear me make a QSO with "DELTA MAIN" regarding the status of the Sunshine Skyway bridge.

Hope to hear other non-DoD call sign amateurs participating too.

WØPV ... OUT :)

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    AD4ZU, K9CTB, WA5VHU and 4 others like this.
  2. N7MWH

N7MWH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah I heard a little from other parts of the country by using WEBSDR to listen... My equipment recorded for 3 hours and only heard one station calling for check in's... I was at work so could not attempt to check in... It's 12:30 local time and I am hearing nothing at home. I feel left out and a little disappointed.

3. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Got this today in New Jersey.

Attached Files:

N6SPP and W0PV like this.
  4. K4ACU

K4ACU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't hear nothing on 60m.

N1WOM likes this.
  5. AA9WP

AA9WP Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing heard as well.

N1WOM likes this.
  6. W9DSN

W9DSN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hearing loud and clear in Evansville on 5.330.50. Delta Xray just requested ping reports for 8.8.8.8 from Miami FL and Raleigh NC. They also advised that the exercise will repeat tomorrow at 0200z.

W0PV likes this.
  7. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Dept of Defence? Aye right! They'll be defending you for sure.
    They'll be recruiting you lot of prattlers as barely-human-shields!

Mad McAdder.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    KC8KBK, W4DXR and M7JEX like this.
  8. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I heard bits -n- pieces.

9. KD8TTE

KD8TTE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ran a live stream of my station operating in the 0200Z net last night. I made some observations and commentary as well that might be helpful for understanding what's happening.

W9DSN likes this.
  10. N7MWH

Band Conditions were really bad due to a solar storm this week... Explains why I didn't hear much out there... I was able to make a contact with Juliet Main on Friday 5/6/22 at 12:52 pm local time. I also made a relay callout for Juliet Main to the Spokane, Wa area with no replies. There was an ARS helping relay me with JM. I'm just wondering how to log the contact? Juliet Main isn't referenced anywhere in the ZOOM docs or on the internet pages for COMEX 22-2. Anyone know how to request QSL cards for this exercise or what station Ident I should plug in for JM?

KD8TTE likes this.
  11. KD8TTE

KD8TTE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I saw no reference to any QSL Card or similar provision in the briefing given by Mr. English. I anticipate that there isn't one for this exercise. My contacts with government stations are in my detailed station log (which also has things I copied by intercept, status, etc., in case net control called on me to do something like relay).

For example, in my video above where I give the ping time report, my log shows (time is localtime, EDT):

2216 DE ECHOMAIN COLUMBUS OH CINCINNATI OH AVG PING 8.8.8.8
    ECHOMAIN DE KD8TTE GOOD-READ/GOOD-READ CANNOT REPORT IN 1200 TOMORROW
    AVG PING TIME 33.346 MS

Looks like the next chance to get a QSL card from DOD is the Armed Forces Day.

The briefing ("Zoominar") itself is the one at the top of this thread. I paid pretty close attention but I might have missed it.

K9CTB and W0PV like this.
  12. N7MWH

In order to ping 8.8.8.8 You would simply open a Terminal window and then type "ping 8.8.8.8" and hit enter. The result will give you "YOUR" local ping time at your station location. This information is what you report for your station as ping times. Average is the number they are interested in mostly. Also keep in mind these reports are intended to give terrestrial ping information so using hughes net or other satellite internet provided pings would be invalid information for the exercise. You can get satellite internet while the rest of your state is experiencing a internet blackout. I hope this helps someone. The request should also include terrestrial or satellite ping time as to be more specified.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    K8XG likes this.
  13. N7MWH

I was present at the Zoominar and did get a copy of the slides... I read through and didn't see any reference to QSL cards either. But just wondering if there is any reference to the CALLSIGNS used like JM EM etc.. location actual callsigns etc... If not I'll just wait until the next exercise and log then... It's too bad there weren't other frequencies used in conjunction with the exercise considering HF conditions were off for many of us ARSs out here on the westy... Also we did have 2 real events happen during this.. We had a small earthquake here in WA and there was that destructive Twister in the Mid-West... I was more interested in getting family reports about how my nephew was doing and damage there than the exercise....

14. N7MWH

https://www.facebook.com/reel/255677690091434/?s=ifu This is how I felt during the first day of the 60m event..... But it was fun anyway and I learned just how disconnected I could feel and what it would be like during a real event. I'm hoping we can better the process and include more stations next time around... "Turned down for what?" ---> "Dancing queen" Hi Hi... 73 everyone... See you in a couple weeks for the Armed Forces Day event!!! N7MWH

15. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And 8.8.8.8 is google DNS server

KC7JNJ likes this.