ad: Mountaingoat-1

Quick and dirty portable

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG7HVR, Apr 26, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think everyone should be able to throw together a effective portable or emergency setup.
    Here's a video of mine for those looking for ideas.
    The antenna is a compromise but it takes up very little space and requires no tuner.
    With the state of things in the world we need to all have a go box or 2 in my opinion.
    The video is kinda long so forward to the end part and see me make a contact.
    I would encourage anyone who is into this to make videos of this as well to get people active and help them learn.

Attached Files:

SP8TI, K0HGO, DL7XX and 11 others like this.
  2. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I really wish if your going to shot video do not shot it in portrait mode , always use landscape mode.....who ever told people to use the portrait mode to shot vid should be hung up by the .........

W2KS, K3HFM, W6ZD and 19 others like this.
  3. KG7HVR

Feel free to make a better video. I'm using my phone and I'm not a professional. The name quick in dirty should be a indicator... and it's "shoot" not shot. Lol.
    The s10e was in landscape mode. The only change I could have made was used the wide angle second camera. That zooms out a bit much .
    Get out there and make some portable videos. Or maybe make videos on how to shoot videos. Instead of complaining, be part of the change that you want to see.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    NN7P, KO4IBY, W2KG and 25 others like this.
  4. N7BUS

N7BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

well said...

NN7P, KQ1V, KB9T and 1 other person like this.
  5. K8PNW

K8PNW Ham Member QRZ Page

quit trying to push your ideas onto other peoples work . I shoot landscape a lot if it suits me better.

NN7P, KB9T and KG7HVR like this.
  6. W3TKB

W3TKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. Can you elaborate on what antenna you're using in the video: make and/or model? Obviously screws into a mag mount but I can see potential other deployment possibilities. Thanks

7. KG7HVR

It's the super antenna mp1c, 40-2m . I bought it for $159 from hro a few years ago. I prefer this one because the others they offer come with non adjustable titanium whip. This comes with a telescopic whip that can be used alone to cover 2m or 440. I have seen people use these as a rotatable dipole on a bracket I don't own 2 of them but I do have experience doing this with hamsticks and it seems to work quite well. So I imagine if you put these up in a dipole configuration you could have a rotatable dipole.
    Their website seems out dated. They aren't silver anymore. But here's a link
    http://www.newsuperantenna.com/MP1-SuperStick-Portable-Vertical-Antenna-Deluxe/

Also hro has info. It's apparently $139 now and sold out for that version. It's offered in multiple different kit forms some quite expensive quite expensive so if you want a fancy gig bag and a tripod and the 80 m and 60 m coil and the 2 m super plexer you can spend quite a bit of coin.

Hro link

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015352

8. NH2K

NH2K Ham Member QRZ Page

I see it as $219 on Amazon today. And HRO has it listed at $139, but out of stock. I wonder why such a disparity. As far as I can tell, both listings are for the antenna alone, no bag, no tripod, etc...

9. KG7HVR

That's right...Amazon seems to do that on everything now. Radios always cost more than hro or dx or giga parts on Amazon. Hro probably has one of the other versions. Yep 219 for a clamp and bag and extra whip? I don't think it's worth the difference. For me I wanted it to fit in the go box. So the bag was useless for me.
    Many people say the wolf river stuff is good or comparable. My experience is with full size loops and dipoles and hamsticks and outbacker copies and homebrew stuff. A Texas bug catcher might be good if it will break down small enough

10. N4ZN

N4ZN Ham Member QRZ Page

Setting up next to a metal building didn't do much for sticking with the recommended coil setting.

11. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

W0HP, K3HFM, K7PKM and 19 others like this.
  12. YV5MKI

YV5MKI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had one of those antennas but in the video I don't see that you put the ground cables or does the iron pot work for you as ground? another thing friend buy an antenna analyzer to not walk so much and make things easier 73

KG7HVR likes this.
  13. KG7HVR

No radials on 20m. They would help but the barrel is good enough. I have a analyzer however it helps to not stand by the antenna while adjusting it. It will read wrong.

KB2SMS and K4VMG like this.
  14. YV5MKI

YV5MKI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

the same when placing the ground cable it lowers the noise and increases the reception and transmission and lowers the swr..nice videos73

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    KG7HVR likes this.
  15. VK4XO

VK4XO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

nothing dirty here, good portable set up.