ad: elecraft

AMSAT-INDIA Conducted Two Days Amateur Radio Workshop at PDEU University, Gandhinagar – INDIA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VU2EXP, Apr 21, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. VU2EXP

VU2EXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear Hams,

Full featured Two Days Amateur (Ham) Radio Workshop was conducted by Rajesh Vagadia VU2EXP (Regional Coordinator, AMSAT-INDIA) on 5th & 6th April 2022 at renowned PDEU University (Gandhinagar – Gujarat) INDIA. Highly interested 40 Students of EC & ICT (plus faculties) dived in the fascinating World of Amateur Radio for two days. Total 8 hours of packed program was scheduled, on day 1 from 1330 to 1730 & for day 2 0900 to 1300 (all IST time).

001 PDEU Campus for Ham Radio Workshop.jpg
    (PDEU University Campus, Gandhinagar)

On day 1 (5th April 2022), step by step I covered History & Introduction of Amateur Radio, Operating procedure, Modulations, Bands & Frequency allocations, Morse Code, RST Systems, Phonetic, Q-Codes, License Grades, Procedure to obtain Ham License etc. I always encourage students to ask their doubts at any point of my presentation, and with such practice I really got numbers of interesting question which I enjoy to answer all.

Participants 05.jpg
    (Rajesh Vagadia VU2EXP Carried out various Ham Topics)

I tried to convey real image of Ham operators Life - how Ham Radio is involved in our daily life. Students have been crazy when I said, a bachelor male operator is free to roam here & there and hence he’s known as VFO, but when he get settled (after marriage) he is known as Crystal Controlled (Universal fact)! Also they wonder to know how we ham community extend our respect to even 75 year old female operator by mentioning as Young Lady (YL). I explained how we use different numbers like 59 & 73, but warned not to use random figure like 88 for any YL as you might be in trouble (hi..hi..). All phases of life from being a Harmonic, OM, YL, Fundamental, Silent Key etc terms are part of radio operators’ life!

A good collection of Radio stuff was carefully displayed for the benefit of students, which includes, HTs, VHF/HF Base, PSU, Cables, Connectors, Adaptors, SWR / Power Meter, Frequency meter, L/C meter, NanoVNA, Dummy Load, Sound Card Interface, RTL-SDR Dongle, CPO, Morse Key, Electronic Keyer, Paddle, Fox hunt tape measure Antenna, GP Antenna, Telescopic Antenna, Dual Band Yagi Antenna, IOio Antenna, Attenuator, Offset Attenuator, Cube Satellite Model etc. Also I displayed my IC-705 SDR QRP Rig with LiFePO4 Power pack for various Demos! All EC & ICT students really enjoyed & learnt the feature/functioning of most of the displayed stuff by trying it themselves. Additionally hundreds of my QSL cards, Log Book, Call book, various Awards, Ham Radio study books and interesting articles were kept on display which was thoroughly observed by students. They were amazed to see NASA QSL for Juno flyby experiment, Japan & German research center’s QSL from Antarctica, Awards for ARISS SSTV event and many more from IOTA, FD etc activation. I explained how we can send and receive paper QSL Cards very economically via QSL Bureau worldwide. Highlighted our ARSI’s QSL Bureau services from India.

All over first day was fully packed with lots of learning, enjoying radio stuff & clearing dozens of doubts of student. I got nice support from my family ham members VU3EXP Sakshi Vagadia & VU3GLY Priyesh Vagadia who accompanied me from my QTH Rajkot.

02 Exhibition AAA.jpg
    (Wonderful collection of Radio Stuff were displayed)

02 Exhibition D.jpg
    (Working Radio Stuff were Displayed for benefit of Students)

Exibition Group 5 ok.jpg
    (YL Students wondering to know Features of Tiny Cube Satellite)

Exibition Group 9 IMG_20220405_150851.jpg
    (Faculty found RTL-SDR quite interesting for their Students)

On day 2 (6th April 2022) we started our workshop at 0900. We had planned series of practical demonstrations on this day. Initially I presented role & objectives of various Ham organizations like AMSAT, ARISS & ARRL and informed how giant efforts are made by these organizations to promote Amateur Radio Satellite Activities, Encourage School Students towards STEM, and offering ultimate knowledge base for radio hams. Also highlighted AMSAT-INDIA’s activities and its contribution of two Satellites VO-52 & AISAT. We gave idea on how ARSI represents interests of Indian Hams before national & international regulatory. GIAR Club was also recognized for their excellent Emergency Communication supports to State Government during natural calamities. We have gracious presence of GIAR ham members’ incl. VU3IKI Ke Ke, VU3DVA Dipakbhai, VU3VDC Vitthhalbhai & VU3HXS Dhirenbhai at the workshop.

I presented how students can be engaged with ARISS ISS SSTV Events by receiving sstv Image with simple RTL-SDR Dongle & small homebrewed yagi antenna. We gave live demo of student’s SSTV Image transmission & reception with help of two station installed in the venue. Participants were wondering to see Picture being transmitted in audio format & received/converted back to Student image.

Thereafter Morse code demo was carried out which was equally interesting for Students. I randomly asked students name & generated his code with paddle & electronic keyer, the name was decoded by the software and projected on the screen! Students were taught the importance of Morse code (SOS) even for emergency, though advised not to use codes during college exams! hi..hi..

For Digital Communication demo, I invited students & faculties to send me few messages. I converted those text messages into PSK31 audio signals & transmitted from station one, second station received & decoded each message mentioned with students’ name. It was fun to view student messages/ feedback projected on big screen. Also briefed various digital modes Ham operator uses.

Students then very well understood why Ham Radio is also known as oldest Social Media, by seeing all such techniques we use since decades, that too without any mobile network or internet !!

Our Satellite Communication Demo was scheduled at 1047 (IST) with AO-91 Cube-Sat. The reason to choose this bird was suitable pass time & very good elevation of 63 degree, two days back we already checked this bird & it was functional. I already requested few VU Hams to respond & support our Sat Demo. All students & faculties get assembled at Rooftop by 1030. I used a pair of HT, IOio Dual Band Antenna and Tracking app in my simple setup. I explained various terms of satellite & basic procedure of operation to the group. All the students were very curious to see how a tiny cube-sat of 1kg extend long distance communication within its footprint. I connected a wired (bluetooth) speaker with a bit long cable so group can hear Reception. But as some of us has experienced, Murphy strikes at last moment and my speaker was failed just before appearing of AO-91 !!! There was no time for troubleshooting, I immediately used my headphone to avoid audio loop, as it was my full duplex configuration. Two minutes later I could hear a strong signal of VU2LBW Lucky, I copied him 59, exchanged reports and establish successful Sat QSO. Lucky was really loud & clear with his decent setup. I was willing to let faculty/student experience this live contact, I ask Lucky to address & respond again and I handed Headphone & Mic to Prof. Jigar Shah, Lucky patiently talked with him conveyed his Callsign, Handle & QTH Bangalore (MK82TV), Prof. enjoyed the live demo and responded well. We also gave a chance to one more student girl; meanwhile I was continuously tracking satellite & aiming the antenna towards it. Before LOS I heard other good Station VU2UUU Kaustav Saha from Gurgaon (ML88NK), I worked with him too with 59 report. So it was semi successful Satellite Demo as I could not allow all students to listen ongoing (Rx) conversation. But participants were very happy to learn complete procedure; they were thrilled to witness potential of amateur radio satellites. Later on Lucky VU2LBW favored me by sharing our Sat QSO recording, which was circulated amongst all students for reference & memory!

Satellite Communication Demo 004.jpg
    (Rajesh Vagadia VU2EXP Successfully did Satellite Contact with VU2LBW & VU2UUU)

Satellite Communication Demo 008.jpg
    (Group of Students, Faculties & Hams enjoyed Satellite Demo via AO-91)

At 1100 there was short tea break, participants were so enthusiastic that even in leisure time they been to radio stuff exhibition area to have closer look and learn more on devices like NanoVNA, CubeSat (model), Morse Keyer/Paddle, Signalink USB, RTL-SDR dongle, Icom IC-705 etc, I enjoyed interaction and satisfying their queries.

We were towards the ending session. I presented what are the interesting events radio amateurs enjoy & carryout globally, which includes Sp. Callsign Activation (highlighted my activated call AT1JCB), Field Day, Contests, Light House operation, IOTA (illustrated AT2SL), JOTA, Hill Top, Fox Hunting (ARDF), High Altitude Balloon Deployment & Tracking, EME, ARISS SSTV & Student outreach Program, SatCom, Satellite Telemetry decoding, Radio Astronomy, Meteor Scatter, Ham Fest etc. I conveyed objectives & brief procedure of all these events into which Radio Hams love to be engaged. Participants learnt that Amateur Radio is much more than a Communication device! I always promote Ham Radio as an experimenting platform which has something for every genre.

At the end, students were asked to split in four groups to enjoy VHF Demo, students learnt how to operate a HT, Started giving calls to other group, responding the caller, giving feedback & comments over radio! Our fellow hams incl. VU3EXP, VU3IKI, VU3HXS, VU3VDC, VU3DVA and VU3GLY nicely assisted each group. Faculties’ incl. program coordinator Prof. Jigar Shah & HoD ICT Prof. Gangaprasad Pandey Sir conveyed Vote of Thanks over Radio. On behalf of our Ham team Sakshi Vagadia VU3EXP thanks to all participants & PDPU University for organizing this memorable workshop.

VHF 4 Demo.jpg
    (After VHF Demo Sakshi VU3EXP Thanks PDEU University & Students)

At 1300 our workshop was concluded. Was nice to see students came out with learning something new & exciting, many shown their interest to be Radio Ham & enjoy this fascinating and unique hobby. Everybody liked our slogan ‘One World One Language’. There were huge efforts collectively made for this workshop and wish to get some shining radio amateurs in the future.

I would like to specially thank VU2LBW Lucky & VU2UUU Kaustav for his valuable support during Satellite Demo, I understand they had devoted time on busy working day, after all that’s the spirit of Radio Amateur.

I thank PDEU University, Program Coordinator Prof Jigar Shah & HoD ICT Prof Gangaprasad Pandey Sir to extend excellent support & hospitality for our team and to make this workshop fruitful.

I have uploaded all interesting Ham Workshop Photos as slideshow in YouTube please find it’s link to view it:
    Glimpse of Ham Radio Workshop at PDEU University Gandhinagar by Rajesh Vagadia VU2EXP

https://youtu.be/lFf4g4Ubm1k

A special note I would like to make, I read & learnt about Ham Radio 35 years back in one well-known Gujarati science magazine named ‘Scope’, brilliantly written by Shri Nagendra Vijay Sir. After completing my workshop, during return journey at Ahmedabad (Bopal), I got opportunity to meet & took blessing of Shri Nagendra Vijay Sir. What a brilliant personality, highly knowledgeable, but very low profile gentleman I ever met. I was inspired to begin my Ham journey by reading all his Article & dedicated ‘Ham Radio’ Book! To meet my mentor was great moment for me; I hereby dedicate all my accomplishment to my knowledge guru (teacher) Shri Nagendra Vijay Sir. He still continues to inspire thousands of readers with his science magazine named ‘Safari’. I felt without giving credit to this author, my article will be incomplete.

z A Shri Nagrendra Vijay and Rajesh Vagadia VU2EXP.jpg
    (Great Occasion to meet my Mentor and Knowledge Guru Shri Nagendra Vijay Sir)

Thanks & 73

Rajesh P. Vagadia – VU2EXP
    Rajkot (Gujarat) India
    Regional Coordinator,
    West India Zone,
    AMSAT-INDIA
    Email: vu2exp [at] gmail . com
    www.qrz.com/db/vu2exp

VU3JNM, KN6FWT, VU3HZW and 9 others like this.
  2. VE6SH

VE6SH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent work Rajesh! Really great to see your hard work in introducing new people to the Amateur Services. I am sure these efforts will continue to grow Amateur Radio in India.

I wonder though if your comments (I appreciate made partially in jest) below are really how we should be portraying Amateur Radio in 2022?

I tried to convey real image of Ham operators Life - how Ham Radio is involved in our daily life. Students have been crazy when I said, a bachelor male operator is free to roam here & there and hence he’s known as VFO, but when he get settled (after marriage) he is known as Crystal Controlled (Universal fact)! Also they wonder to know how we ham community extend our respect to even 75 year old female operator by mentioning as Young Lady (YL).

Tim VE6SH

VU2EXP likes this.
  3. PP8DA

PP8DA Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice Job, 73 to you from Nick-PP8DA

VU2EXP likes this.
  4. VU2EXP

Thank you so much Tim VE6SH for your encouraging feedback. We tried our best to make this workshop memorable by every mean and perhaps we achieved our goal to educate Students by giving multidimensional knowledge of Amateur Radio.

Seeing general trend density of VU Hams is surely increasing by collective efforts of various clubs & educators.

My comment you pointed was surely done on lighter notes, just to make environment cool. I learnt that making fun on ourselves is best way to bring people (students) close.

Btw I am immense happy to know I am chatting with IARU President at this moment, and getting his encouraging feedback for my small work! This could be my reward.

Rajesh VU2EXP

KN6FWT and VE6SH like this.
  5. VU2EXP

Thank you so much Nick for your kind words.
    73 Rajesh VU2EXP

6. VU3VOC

VU3VOC Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations Rajesh !!
    Appreciate your dedication and efforts towards the promotion of Amateur Radio amongst the youth.
    best 73
    Rajesh
    VU3VOC / AK4EC / A92GK

VU2EXP likes this.
  7. KC9EOQ

KC9EOQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Judging by all the equipment on the tables, are you sure Gordon West wasn't there? hihi

VU2EXP likes this.
  8. VK3TWC

VK3TWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a lot of prep that's gone into this event Rajesh. You've done very well!!!!

Keep up the good work mate.

Cheers,
    Trevor
    VK3TWC

VU2EXP likes this.
  9. VU2EXP

Dear Rajesh VU3VOC / AK4EC,
    Thank you for your kind appreciation. I love to enjoy our beautiful hobby by this mean! Awareness & Promotion of Ham Radio is much required and that too amongst Student community!
    With moral support of you all VU / DX Hams I get strength to work upon such events.
    Rajesh VU2EXP

VU3VOC likes this.
  10. VU2EXP

That's giant personality you have mentioned, I would feel blessed if Gordon West WB6NOA visits even virtually around us :)

Thank you Dean KC9EOQ for your wonderful feedback!

Rajesh VU2EXP

11. VE3PQX

VE3PQX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dear Rajesh - Congratulations. Very nice and proud to see the article and progress in my hometown Gandhinagar where I operated for four years 1996-2000.
    Paresh (VE3PQX/VU2PQX)

VU2EXP likes this.
  12. VU2EXP

Hi Trevor VK3TWC,

Some time some event turnout quite well & gets good exposure, I might be lucky on that aspect.

The story behind the scene was, I need to present 8 hours of non boring lecture, demos etc for dynamic aged students. it was real challenge for me, so I just prepared much more interesting content, planned series of demos to carryout. Additionally, I love practical concept, hence I thought to put most of my working radio stuff on display, execution on all this ideas workout very well & made this event fruitful. Though diffrent challenge for me was to dismantle all stuff from radio shack, pack it carefully in luggage bags, load it in my car, self drive 260 kms (one way) to venue, unpack & carefully display radio stuff for benefit of students! In return journey all process to do in reverse order! But it happened. Believe me the exhibition section was most rewarding, quite enjoyed by engineering students and faculties as well. Hod Sir were impressed with my NanoVNA H-4, they said University has already 18000 $ VNA but could not allow students to use it, after seeing my 100$ NanoVNA they decided to buy it for their students! many more things turnout positively.

Btw your ham setup is too good, no one can say you are licensed by two years only, very impressive, keep your Radio Shack expanding.

Thanks & 73
    Rajesh VU2EXP

13. VU2EXP

Thank you Pareshbhai for your appreciation. Nice to know your connection for Gandhinagar, I will be always available for Gandhinagar :)

Thanks & 73
    Rajesh VU2EXP

14. VK3UA

VK3UA Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely amazing work to undertake on behalf of Amateur Radio. I really hope that your effort pays off with at least a few new Amateurs from the audience. Reading about it, I wanted to be in the audience as well, and I have been licenced since 1983.
    Your mentor, Guru Shri Nagendra Vijay Sir, must be very proud of you.

VU2EXP likes this.
  15. VU2EXP

Dear J Mark VK3UA
    from bottom of my heart I thank you for all compliments.
    I feel great when thousands of mile distance DX Ham gives credit to my Guru (mentor)! So nice spirit of the hobby, we never feel any differences of any kind, which proves our slogan 'One World One Language'! And believe me exactly all this things I learnt from author Shri Nagendra Vijay Sir & his beautiful book titled 'Ham Radio' 35 years back. Have a look of cover page:
    HamRadioBook.jpg

Yeah, well interest was generated after workshop and we shall be getting some nice young operators in near future.

Viewed your profile, you are doing really great on SOTA, liked your idea to activate as well chase SOTA stations, very good practice indeed. I shall approach you to learn some tips on SOTA.

Btw it was sad to know about your cute shack dog, Rest in peace KURO.

Rajesh VU2EXP

VK3UA likes this.