ad: Sussex-1

SlinkTenna By QuirkyQRP Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Apr 21, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you live in an HOA or prefer operating POTA or SOTA? If you answered yes to any of these questions then the QuirkyQRP SlinkTenna might be perfect for you. The SlinkTenna allows for quick deployment and teardown. However, due to the antenna being a 9:1 UnUn you will need and antenna tuner.

KI5UXW, AA4NE, NU4R and 1 other person like this.
  2. K3SX

K3SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have made my own full size Slinky based antennas and they do work, even on 160,80 and 40M. This one looks good for its intended purpose.

KI5UXW, NU4R, KB5IAV and 1 other person like this.
  3. KN4HND

KN4HND XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NICE AND EAST

4. W2ZMZ

W2ZMZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ placing links to items no longer available for sale.

Better idea is to make one! Yeah I get it it's cool and it probably works and has some good reviews but it's just two slinky's with a 9:1 UnUn.

Stuff laying around the shack: Any 14 gage wire wrapped around PVC on each end with a home brew 9:1 UnUn in the middle will do the same thing and perform much better. You can do this using banana clips to make it portable. EASYPEEZEE

$89 are you kidding me!!!!

K0UO, G3SEA, KI4ZUQ and 3 others like this.
  5. W0DN

W0DN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking to the East ...

WJ6F likes this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yet another review of the ̶S̶t̶i̶n̶k̶ SlinkTenna - because the multitude of other reviews just aren't enough!

K0UO, G3SEA, KI5UXW and 5 others like this.
  7. WI9LL

WI9LL Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the favorite of girls and boys

W2NPR, K3DFD, N4GST and 1 other person like this.
  8. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked someone who was using one and a G90 (IIRC) the other night. It's as much of a DX antenna as a magloop, generic slidey loading coil things, etc, etc

9. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's a "real one" I picked up over twenty years ago. The Cliff Dweller slinky.. hi .. The last time I used it was at a temporary location in AK for about a week.. Wk'd great on JT-65A on 20m @ 10ft off the ground..Gotta love those super narrow digi modes. Total electrical length is 130ft. :) Beware of new hams with 50 year old vanity calls.

Attached Files:

KI5UXW and W2NPR like this.
  10. KB5IAV

KB5IAV Ham Member QRZ Page

If using a tuner with a balun, it can be fed with balanced line, twinlead or ladderline.

I've seen metal Slinkys 3 for $17.99 online. I've also seen a generic metal spring toy for much less so it wouldn't be expensive to get the parts. I agree with you, better idea is to make one.

11. AI6AS

AI6AS Ham Member QRZ Page

How much power can you run through a slinktenna?

KC3NTS likes this.
  12. K3SX

K3SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On my homemade 160,80,40M vertical I ran a KW! Worked until I took it down after three seasons. I kept blowing my homemade bandswitch.

KI5UXW likes this.
  13. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

True enough for some and I too most always build my own antennas but not everybody is able/wants to/has the time.

Keep in mind also that when you buy such products from these small companies - assuming that you can afford to - you are doing good things by contributing to economies at several levels and quite possibly helping to support a person(s) who is working to build & sell their products to help support themselves rather than likely rely on state/federal welfare programs.
    This is a good thing and I support them whenever possible if I have a need for their products.

WB5UDI, G3SEA, W2KS and 5 others like this.
  14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Good points. Glad you brought them up.

Furthermore, none of these small business folks are holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to buy their products...at least I don't know of any. ;)

WB5UDI, KB5IAV and K7LZR like this.
  15. PU7ASC

PU7ASC Ham Member QRZ Page

bom dia a todos rádio amadorre deste planeta Terra

K0UO likes this.