ad: elecraft

An Easier Type 'N' Connector

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Apr 18, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5JDX

W5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

An Easier Type 'N' Connector?

AmateurLogic 168: Type 'N', VarAC Chat, Bluetooth Photos
    A new type Type 'N' connector installed. VarAC enhanced Chat client. Transferring photos over the air from a bluetooth phone with D-Star.
    www.amateurlogic.tv

N4GST, WX7DX and AA5BK like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't overtorque that N ...:)

I have always hated connecting these....

WH6LU, AK5B, AA5BK and 1 other person like this.
  3. N8DKW

N8DKW Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like use and connectors on LMR 600 for my 2 or or 146.000 I may end up with the legal power Would you recommend PL 259 over the N connector??
    N8DKW David Dawson PS I am going to run 13 B2 4 beams the amount of LMR 600 will be about 65 feet long course I will use LMR400 so I can turn the beams

W5JDX likes this.
  4. W2JBL

W2JBL Ham Member QRZ Page

These connectors have been around for years. We tried them at the Motorola shop I worked for and found they are (like the PL-259) not 50 ohms. N connectors are 50 ohms all the way through. The ones in the video caused a bump in SWR when tested with a TDR at UHF. They also do not work on cables like LMR400 because the foil inner sheild sinks the heat away from the braid so it can't be soldered to. The copper clad aluminum center conductor is also nearly impossible to solder to for the same reason.

And to the previous poster:
    LMR 400 has a solid center conductor. That means you can't use it on a moving part of a rotatable antenna. Use RG-213 instead for that jumper around the rotor.

K3RW, K9FV, KT6KT and 12 others like this.
  5. W5JDX

W5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting. I noticed the VSWR was rated 1.3:1 @ 9 GHz. I'll be using these below 2 MHz so I'm not real concerned with that. But I can see where they may not be the best choice for higher frequencies.

I wonder what experiences others are having with these.

KT6KT likes this.
  6. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Presumably, if the information is important enough, the author will post a written transcript for us to READ.

K3RW, K9FV, K4KYV and 2 others like this.
  7. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

An "easier" to install type N? It looks to me like it's just as impossible to install as a PL-259. I'll keep using the "old" type N, it's MUCH easier to get a solid electrical and mechanical connection with them.

KT6KT and NK8I like this.
  8. K2STP

K2STP Ham Member QRZ Page

Make that LMR-400 Ultraflex, which has a stranded core, as mentioned above by w2jbl, regular LMR-400 is a solid core and not recommended for moving…. Coincidentally, W2JBL (also Chris), made a bit of fun of me on my first time on the air on hf (am on 75 meters). Not to worry Chris, I found it quite funny myself! ;-)). And I’m sure you would not remember it…. Anywhoozle!

9. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, after doing hundreds and hundreds of these, I could do them in my sleep. (However, it really helps to have an "official" cable stripper for this.)

K4XJ, W0DN, N4GST and 2 others like this.
  10. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

A type N has 2 reasons only to use them.

1. True 50 ohm
    2. Water tight

Thats it.

As far as making cables with N ends?????

I can punch one out in 1 clock minute and go back to eating doritos. There is nothing special, hard, or challenging about N connectors. A 20 dollar stripper and a 40 dollar crimper and youre done.

As far as 259s
    If youre soldering pl259s youre probably doing it wrong. Buy a crimper and stop the frustration dead in its tracks.

K3RW, K9FV, KT6KT and 6 others like this.
  11. W7EED

W7EED Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W5JDX and AA5BK like this.
  12. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Assembly of N-Plugs. Sounds as straightforward and easy as Blind-Football, right?

I wouldn't trust Dr Fauci (I mean .. Faustus), there on the panel. Hidden in plain view guys.
    English tea? See! I may be as thick as The Blarney-Stone but if there's one thing I've learned:
    There's redcoat English tea and then there's Earl-Grey with Vanilla or Rose. Kinda out-there.

lonegunmen-jimmybond18.jpg

I nearly forgot, what with all the excitement! N-plug assembly still scares me half to death.
    I don't know, perhaps I have some kind of phobia. You can add that to my other 299 phobias!
    Somebody should build an automated Jig, that you sorta pop em' in, and it's all just taken care of?

You're my hero, guys!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    W5JDX likes this.
  13. K2STP

K2STP Ham Member QRZ Page

you still need to solder, after crimping.

K4XJ likes this.
  14. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats the easy part. The application of solder properly in those little holes.... hrmmm now thats the rocket science.

AC0OB and W5JDX like this.
  15. N7XGR

N7XGR Ham Member QRZ Page