ad: elecraft

Radio Scouting at West Point Military Academy

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB2FMH, Apr 18, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Station W2P will be active on April 23rd and 24th, 2022 at the 58th Annual Boy Scout Camporee at West Point Military Academy in West Point, NY.

The Cadets of the USMA at West Point host a fabulous fun-filled and challenging program for Scouts of all ages as well as their volunteer leaders during a gathering called a "Camporee" at which upwards of 5000 boys and girls from all branches of Scouting participate in skill based challenges, fun activities and spectacular displays developed and administered by the Cadets at West Point.

The Radio Station, manned by members of the Ten Mile River Scout Reservation Radio Club, W2TMR, and the Fair Lawn Amateur Radio Club (FLARC), some of whom are former scouts themselves as well as active volunteers in NYC Scouting, offer the participants opportunities to complete requirements for Radio and Communications Merit Badges and to talk with other Hams around the world.

The station will be set up Saturday morning and should stay active, weather permitting, until the Sunday after so don't miss the opportunity contact us; keep an eye on the telnet cluster where we'll spot our operation as soon as we power up the equipment and get on the air.

We will respond to all QSL requests via paper card (send an SASE with your card - We collect them too!) and confirm on QRZ, LoTW, eQSL and ClubLog as the the log entries are made if internet is working at the time. Cards will ready within a month of wrapping up.

Although we do try to move through pileups with some efficiency, it is not a contest so feel free to get chatty with an operator for a few minutes with your stories of Scouting, Military Experience and / or your time at the Academy. We are happy to hear about it.

Being that it is the 58th annual, we will be trying to operate on frequencies ending in 58 or as close as possible in the general portions of each operable band (and some 6 and 10 meters for Techs) depending on any QRM/N or nets that regularly use those frequencies (Remember the 5th law, a Scout is ----- Courteous)

If anyone in the NY / NJ / CT area wishes to stop by and see the action, use these coordinates to find your way: 41°20'28.6"N 74°05'47.0"W

Check our page here on QRZ for more info and photos from past years.

WPSC-58-RS.jpg

K0UO, CE3WNC, KI4QAC and 2 others like this.
  2. W2STF

W2STF Ham Member QRZ Page

Airborne. Have a good time. Vet of the 173rd, Vietnam

W2STF.

W0TRS likes this.
  3. K4EAK

K4EAK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll be looking for you! Got one card, but definitely could use another!
    73 Skip K4EAK

Attached Files:

4. VA3JT

VA3JT Ham Member QRZ Page

congratulations from va3jt. what frequency are you on
    SEMPER PARATUS 2379 RHLI CADET CORP. PSE CHECK QRZ PAGE 73

5. KB2FMH

Sorry we couldn't answer during the event James but it seems you got to us so thanks.
    If you want the card, just follow the instructions for QSLing on the page.

6. K0SF

K0SF Ham Member QRZ Page

73 from Steve, K0SF, '83. I'll pass on same from Colonel (retired) Mark A. Davis, WL7O, also '83.

W0PV likes this.
  7. W6BBL

W6BBL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

quick question: the background on your logo is from the 25th Infantry Div, Honolulu and VietNam... what is the significance of you using the patch design? I love it... was with the 25th Div, 125 Signal Bn in 1966 and 1968... 73, W6BBL, Bill.

8. KB2FMH

The image used on the event card is the West Point MA logo to my knowledge Bill, we get it from their website and the the image for the Camporee itself is made by the Cadet Scoutmaster's Council just for the event. I'm sure they know any significance of either. The other one is the standard Radio Scouting loga which we've used for years.
    I hope you requested a card.