ad: chuckmartin

Go-Box Challenge and Awards

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Apr 14, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tonight we visit three more Go-Boxes include an Jeep I want to buy. Also, we look at the Denton County ARES COMMS trailer. Finally, we get to see the WINNERS. Do you have go box, please share your pictures and ideas.

Frank L.

NX3H and VU2EXP like this.
  2. KG5RJR

KG5RJR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the coverage on this FRANK we had alot of fun and look forward to it next year!!

KG5AHJ likes this.
  3. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Your Welcome, this was an amazing event. And I might even throw my hat in next year.

KG5RJR likes this.
  4. W4LLZ

W4LLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My go boxes:
    Two voice / data vhf/uhf go boxes and two All band go boxes in crate boxes, voice and digital with both having P3 pactor modems with back up signalinks for ARDOP or any other digital mode. Surry NC Auxcomm.

Attached Files:

PD4TZ and KG5RJR like this.
  5. N7ZS

N7ZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since I don't back pack all my "go boxes" are bigger. I really enjoy portable work as well as mobile. I didn't post pics as most are on my QRZ page.

1) My really portable setup uses a 891 yeasu with a RM italy 300 amp into one of a few different antennas.. my favorite is a 20-40 CCD dipole inverted v on a 28ft push up fiberglass flag pole. I have this with me when ever I go out on day trips with my side by side buggy. I have added a 705 to this mix. All powered by a 100AH Lipo4 battery and a fold out solar if a lengthy stay is anticipated.... yes I have spend multiple nights camping with the buggy...fun!

2) My other portable setup is really my RV. I have a ton of battery and solar so it is well equipped for weeks of camping. I use an FTDX 10 or an Icom 7100 or even the 705. I send 8 watts of power into a pair of RM Italy 305s that I have paralleled with a combiner. That feeds one or two of many antennas ... yup I often have multiple antennas up...LOL. My 40-80 CCD is the fav, but I also use a 40meter vertical delta loop that really works pretty good on the higher bands. A basket case SteppIr vertical and a home brew DX commander take turns on the vertical duties. I have a set of drawers in my pickup that always have my antennas and military poles at the ready anywhere I am. We only take the car(which has no comm but a phone) out for ice cream...LOL)

3) Last but not least I have a nice little 7100 in my mobile feeding an RM Italy amp running about 200 watts into a tarheel antenna with a 102" whip on it..... I put a shorty on for 10 and 6. If the truck is moving, I generally have it on.

Thanks for the fun opportunity to see other ideas and plagiarize ways to better my situations.

I didn't mention that my RV setup is equipped for all modes and bands and I practice with Winlink or FT8 quite often. I also have an android (or PC) based, remote setup into my base station for all bands and practice with it often too. I don't take the computer with on buggy trips. I figure, other cargo like sleeping bags, tents, food and of course my two hyenas is more important... good luck everyone!

PS: Did I mention that I really like portable Radio.... ;)

KG5RJR likes this.
  6. KE8QEP

KE8QEP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a pencil and a corkscrew in my go box.

AK5B and KG5RJR like this.
  7. W4LLZ

W4LLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess it’s time for an upgrade, huh?

8. PD4TZ

PD4TZ Ham Member QRZ Page

i like to show my GO-BoX...
    IC7200 end fed antenna for 10-20-40.

each box is just over 7 kg and water and dustproof.
    accu is a Valence U1-12RT 40AH (6,1kg)
    powerbox got 2 usb outlets, 1 plug for the Icom and 2 20A chargeports(+ -)
    and 1 fits-all connector.

73/44 de PD4TZ
    Maurice
    wwff PAFF-0048/0063
    IMG_3157.jpg IMG_3161.jpg IMG_3164.jpg IMG_3166.jpg

KD3Y and KG7HVR like this.
  9. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have several. One with ft891, mp1 super antenna, ldg z-100plus, etc. One w xiegu g90, one with ft818nd.
    Almost forgot the icom ic706mk2g with a mfj 929 auto tuner bolted to it and mfj copy of the outbacker antenna.
    I'm totally into promoting practical almost tactical quick and dirty portable go stuff. In a actual emergency things change. You have to adapt. Thanks for the post.
    From Arizona

NL7QY and PD4TZ like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

KI7CIL, KC3JH, W9AH and 2 others like this.
  11. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I stopped watching at N5FKU. What a jack ass.

WN1MB likes this.
  12. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

WN1MB likes this.
  13. GW6CZE

GW6CZE Ham Member QRZ Page

My go box is a Clansman PRC-320 nothing else needed .Problem sorted

AJ6KZ and WN1MB like this.
  14. IU2GID

IU2GID Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a go box for HF, it's a toolbox trolley. It contains: 2x33Ah Lead-GEL battery. DC-DC 24v -> 13.8v converter. FT-891, FC-40, FC-50, some coax, BALUN, UNUN 9:1 / 4:1, electrical wires, guy wires, lights for night.
    And then I use a backpack fishing rod case to carry a spiderpole 12m, a fishing sun umbrella, a 3 leg seat.

when I operate the box function as a small table and I can stay in the shadow of my umbrella sitting on my small chair :D
    on my page I think there is a photo: IU2GID

bye

15. W8JOE

W8JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

34A5CB6D-E349-4A64-A4B7-3E9C583014EC.jpeg

Backpack contains my 705, auto tuner, antenna switch, 25ah 200w power station, folding solar panel, 4x 50' coax, ipad, ft-60 and misc small items.

the rest is my jpole, 20 and 40m hamstick dipoles, and a 12.5' mast

Folding table and folding chair