ad: Flexradio-1

Worldwide Ham Radio Operators (2000-2022)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Mar 27, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

This was a fun project to make...Amateur Radio Operator numbers worldwide from data 2000 to 2022. This data has been collected from multiple data sources.

Some records only go up to 2018, so data to 2022 has been filled in with growth trend data. The last known collection of total hams worldwide was taken by the IARU in 2000.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020612083455/http:/www.iaru.org/statsum00.html
    • Data on some countries is approx due to lack of current data.
    • Data not available for certain countries - total is not indicative of total hams worldwide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_operator
    https://www.arrl.org/news/data-on-number-of-radio-amateurs-worldwide-needs-updating

For those in the US, here is the number of Amateurs licenses from 1997-2022. This data is accurate as FCC data is easily obtainable.

AA5ET, WA1NIP, N6CST and 5 others like this.
  2. ZL1MTO

ZL1MTO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting. The figures were going down until 2017 and then started going up again, not a lot but definitely an increase.
    Wasn't in 2017 the FT8 mode was made available by Joe Taylor ?

W4RFT, W5YZR and M1WML like this.
  3. WI9MB

WI9MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool project. I'm honestly surprised to see how many techs are out there in comparison and how consistent that stayed. I personally think HF and HF portable specifically are the most fun and most enjoyable part of the hobby.

W5JBL, K7RMJ, N4GST and 4 others like this.
  4. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here but I think the expense and leaning curve do a lot to limit techs to stay there never mind just walking away completely. Many I know are just interested in VHF/UHF because of living restrictions too. Couple of neighbors I know just come up on the local machine to chat or use while hunting. Get into any detailed discussion over radios or antennas and you have lost them.

M1WML, WI9MB and KE0GXN like this.
  5. KC5NYO

KC5NYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, so it's an all or nothing deal? They either know it all or not? I guess educating newer hams over the air is taboo?

W1RU, KC6UKO, M0MNE and 4 others like this.
  6. PY2BBQ

PY2BBQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Brazil has about 40,000 hams.

WA6RSV, W5ESE, N4GST and 5 others like this.
  7. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

It is time for a new award - "WAN"/ Worked all Novices.

KC1NNR, M6WRB, N4GST and 4 others like this.
  8. N1SP

N1SP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm really surprised Italy didn't make the list. Every time a band is open, I find an Italian station. Guess I either have a pipeline from VT, or the hams that are there are very active! (I should add mostly on CW)

Congrats on the nicely done video! Very thought provoking.

N7KO, K1XS, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  9. W1DRV

W1DRV Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting how Japanese has have dwindled to 1/3 from their former height. Pleased to see U.S. hams increasing steadily. As the Chinese middle class emerge into suburbia, they’ll have more room for antennas, China could overtake hams in U.S.A. And Japan combined.

KG7AV and M1WML like this.
  10. N2ICZ

N2ICZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting. I was surprised at the number of hams in Thailand. I don't know why, but I was. Equally surprising to me was how few hams there are in Australia (compared to the size of the continent).

M1WML likes this.
  11. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

One may wonder why the activity and band occupancy have become so low, despite increasing numbers.

I have a gnawing feeling that this may be one of the underlying causes:

[​IMG]
    Regarding the JA numbers, they were reduced when the Administration started to also report the actual number of persons that had a "transmitting station permit", instead of the cumulative number of all operator licences issued since 1952.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

M0MNE, N4GST and M1WML like this.
  12. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  13. N2ICZ

N2ICZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I see, indeed.

M1WML and AD7SK like this.
  14. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I Guess It's ALL UP TO YOU THEN OM!!! :p
    There's Lots of Hammer Head SSB ops out there on 75m too BTW...

It's perfectly legal to stay uninformed and uneducated...
    Passing an Extra exam means u passed is all. Doesn't indicate much more than that does it??

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    N4GST, M1WML and KE0GXN like this.
  15. GW6CZE

GW6CZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Think you can take the UK figures with a pinch of salt as a lot of them keep their old novice and intermediate callsigns , not sure why Ofcom let them do that .Maybe it makes their figures look good

M0MNE, N4GST and G7DAZ like this.