ad: cq2k-1

802.11 Networking with HSMM-MESH(tm) Software

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD5OUG, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC2GC

AC2GC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's all a conspiracy to keep the Penguin out in the cold or perhaps they just can't get the right Linux build idk .. Lucky for us Penguins love the cold

2. AJ4LN

AJ4LN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. The GL is specifically designated to be able to run 3rd party firmware (The GL is essentially a G v4). For the G and GS models, you have to have specific revisions to easily run 3rd party firmware well.

All the G and GS routers I have are within the better revisions (v1-v4), and they were all $10 or less. I have occasionally seen the lesser G/GS revisions (v5 and up) out there in thrift stores, so you do have to check.

3. N6SO

N6SO Ham Member QRZ Page

Mesh and VOIP

It is indeed the next frontier of amateur radio, and the price is right, open source being free and these second hand routers available at thrift stores as discussed for 10 bucks...I'm already running Asterisk for my phone system (free) and just bought the dmk engineering USB radio interface for interfacing Asterisk for VOIP applications. Mesh will allow emergency high speed applications and data transfer as mentioned that packet wont allow. I can imagine a VOIP repeater controller with Mesh TCP/IP interconnect that will put us way beyond radios with PL tones. Those left clutching vacuum tubes will have to hang on for the ride.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  4. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

?

And the point of this is what? To have a network in a emergency situation when power is out? OR a disaster? The last thing I am thinking about is a computer network in any situation like that. :(

5. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well to me the point is to help develop new ideas and developments for the hobby.

Another point is to try and keep ham radio relevant to a younger generation, as well as to the rest of the world in respect to the pace of technology.

Another thought is this makes good use of our huge microwave allocations.

In an emergency or disaster, what do you think about then?

To me, the population keeps growing, as do how people communicate. Anyone who still thinks a few hams passing traffic using the antiquated NTS on 3x5 cards so that say even just 500 people could get word that their loves ones are okay is just pure insanity.

From the Level 1 ARES training manual: "Do not think about how to use ham radio to send the message - just think about the best and fastest way to send it".

Minneapolis Wi-Fi network aids rescuers - bridge collapse :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_x0LmerIyI

6. KD0FPY

KD0FPY Ham Member QRZ Page

The online training was great. I am going to start experimenting with creating a mesh here in the Denver area. The firmware loads and is operational in very short order. It took me 10 minutes to set up the first node. I'm eager to see this implemented over a long distance link -which I'll be trying within a couple of weeks here. It is nice to have the chance to experiment with these frequencies without costly equipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.