800 MHz "Trunk System" Receivers

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KG4LLQ, Feb 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep in mind that any Uniden product that uses the free sentinel programming software gets free weekly updates of country wide radio systems (sourced directly from Radio Reference). Bottom line is no RR subscription is required if you are using a Uniden scanner with Sentinel software.

Downside here is Sentinel only seems to work in windows, won't connect to the scanner under WINE/Linux (at least for me).

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Different trunked systems definitely exist.
    upload_2018-2-13_10-16-8.jpeg upload_2018-2-13_10-16-18.jpeg upload_2018-2-13_10-16-41.jpeg

K9ASE and NH7RO like this.
  3. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds like a port permission problem.

4. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Seek and ye shall receive:

upload_2018-2-13_13-35-29.png

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

Attached Files:

K9ASE and NH7RO like this.
  5. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Almost definately - however that's above my pay grade when it comes to linux... I could never get it figured out.

6. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

I never gave it much thought as to the origin of these trunked systems---I was kind of bummed out at the time they came into use since I could no longer receive a lot of stuff I had listened to in analog days---little did I know they actually originated in Africa and South Asia!

Thanks for the interesting update, Steve. Makes me wonder about the origin of Uniden and Bearcat, though---their production could have started in a lion's den or bear's lair or something like that if my hunch is correct.

7. AA5MT

AA5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

8. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, they are called Trunk Tracking Scanners.

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Uniden trunk tracker I got was only analog, I don't think my model could be set up with a upgrade digi system decoder board. no socket inside for one. . newer versions had a socket for a digi upgrade board but that was $$$ expensive !

10. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP would be best served to go to radioreference and look up his area to find out what kind of signals are in his area and buy a scanner that will work with that system. However if the system is secure he's out of luck. I'm not sure many have secured their systems except for the feds. They've been secured since about 2005.