ad: elecraft

Mountaineering for a SOTA Sunrise

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7KOM, Jan 21, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N7KOM

N7KOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Got hiking early for some Sunrise Summits On The Air fun. I was expecting cold temps and wind on the summit so left the HF gear at home. Wish I had brought it along because it was a beautiful morning.

Thanks to the other Activators who hiked to their summits early and thanks to the Chaser who got up early to QSO too!

73 de Tim N7KOM

KC7VH, AF4O, NO7GX and 17 others like this.
  2. W0AZ

W0AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video, Tim.
    Loved it.

W9MRH, M1WML and N7KOM like this.
  3. KD7LX

KD7LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome! Stunning view that day! Amazing what that elevation will do for 5 watts on 2 meters.

M1WML and N7KOM like this.
  4. N7KOM

Thank you both!

M1WML likes this.
  5. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

As the rule is never take what your not willing to leave behind on such a hike I completely understand not taking HF. Good show.

M1WML likes this.
  6. N7KOM

I'd never leave a rig behind :D
    I was looking forward to just throwing a wire out on the snow though. I still need to do that.

M1WML and N1IPU like this.
  7. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for taking us along Tim. What a Video!!! Just stunning mate beautiful views of your beautiful country. I’m actually happy Roscoe don’t make an appearance in this one, 73.

M1WML, KC7JNJ and N7KOM like this.
  8. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gnarly! Sort of a mountaineering vid with ham for the icing on top. Tele, AT, or other? Used to tele a bit now just some backcountry stuff on milder terrain...or snowshoes...as I age..lol. Thanks for posting.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Avalanches?

M1WML likes this.
  10. N7KOM

Forecast was green (low) and the primary danger was loose wet in the afternoon. The snow was great for a nighttime climb. Descent via Old Chute wasn't too fun because there was lots of loose chunks of ice that people were kicking down. Helmet paid for itself many times over.

N4LDB, M1WML, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  11. N7KOM

I was on backcountry skis with tech bindings. Locked the heel in for the descent. Haven't tried tele... yet...

M1WML and W5ESE like this.
  12. KK1J

KK1J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome video Tim! Love the footage. Beautiful day. Glad the snow seemed good for most of the trip.
    Stay safe and have fun!

13. W4LLZ

W4LLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

N7KOM,
    Thank you. You gave me a great smile today watching your video. It was a joy watching you climb, and descend. All those contacts too...telling the other climber that you made friends you never met in person, but know thier voices and call signs. Awesome seeing you skiing down too and go QRT.
    What a joy to watch!

M1WML, 2E0TWD and N7KOM like this.
  14. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool video!! Great adventure!

I can't believe how many people were on that mountain!

I also cannot believe how many uhf/vhf s2s you got. Oddly, in New England there are a relatively small number of SOTA operators.

The negative is that you did make me jealous I am not out activating a peak today. ;)

Mindy

M1WML, W5ESE, N7KOM and 1 other person like this.
  15. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW !!! Great video what a view "Top of the world ma" I am sure you are in my log Tim on 40# mtr cw on one of the Oregon summits please keep up the great climes & videos 73 Phil KI6PMD..