ad: elecraft

Grounding the Shack

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, Jan 14, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The most controversial thing in Ham Radio, Grounding the shack. Don, Joins us to Share his grounding knowledge. We go over how to ground, where should you place your grounding rods and how far apart you should put another grounding rod. Then how Frank should ground his shack. Did we missing Something, let me know and i will be should to do a Part 2.

K8CGS, DO1FER and N4FZ like this.
  2. K7ELJ

K7ELJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone ever check ground rods for resistance? A true ground is best when 25 ohms or less.
    Interested in seeing what people have to say.

20220116_165318.jpg

AA5BK, KG5AHJ, N4FZ and 1 other person like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You're the first amateur that I've heard of in recent times, that is actually doing that testing.

Yes
    I do, and I check it on a regular basis, things can change then problems will happen.

I also use a 4-point ground meter system and do checks on a regular basis.

My antenna system occupies between fifty and sixty Acres currently. The ground/soil conditions are just completely different from the swamp land to the Red Dirt.
    Also my Rhombics antennas require their own grounding and lightning protection.
    Screenshot_20220116-193715_Chrome.jpg
    73 from,
    The K0UO "Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire, I'm In the Air or On the Air daily

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    AA5BK, N0TZU, K7ELJ and 1 other person like this.
  4. K7ELJ

Impressive QRZ page Steven K0UO.
    Lost of great articles and information. Awesome antenna system your station operates on.

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, however my XYL N0UO put that monstrosity together, way too much information.
    But alot of people are always asking questions about the antennas.

W1YW likes this.
  6. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

Forget the YouTube video and go straight to Motorola R56. That's what I stay close to in my grounding.

AK4AM, K0UO, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  7. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe that is the NEC standard for private homes, =< 5 ohms for industrial locations.

NJ0F, K0UO and KB7AVT like this.
  8. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

A good video for to understand the differences between Bonding and Earthing electrical equipment. Personaly I only bonded tuner and a small antenna in my appartment. But its recommend, equal if its professional or semiprofessional. Because for example small antennas got a big benefit of that. It increases the perfomance and cleans the incoming signal. So that the noise and interference will got to a lower level and the incoming signal strength will get a bit better. And to bond to things in an appartment, there is always to think about the used outgoing power. Here QRP users and SWLs have an advantage. When the power gets to high its not recommended to bond anything to, for example the copper tube of the heating, with the used equipment. Dont roast your home!

9. WB9QLR

WB9QLR Ham Member QRZ Page

So...would it be helpful for a residential ground rod if we occasionally dumped a bucket of salt water around it? [This especially in dry climates or sandy soils; my ancient knowledge of soil science gives me a hint that clay soils might conduct more effectively, especially when damp.]

10. K7ELJ

Morning Bill,

I checked the ground rod to my main Electrical Service Panel and meter is showing 0.27 ohms . GOAL! for my Ham Shack is to be below 16 ohms that's what I have now .

11. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't know this, i will look into it.

12. KB7AVT

KB7AVT QRZ Lifetime Member #371 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Call me on DMR TG 31292

less is always better ... 5 ohms or less... I'll post in chat some info...

Grounding and Bonding References:

MIL-STD-188/124B, MILITARY STANDARD: GROUNDING, BONDING AND SHIELDING FOR COMMON LONG HAUL/TACTICAL COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS INCLUDING GROUND BASED COMMUNICATIONS-ELECTRONICS FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENTS (01 FEB 1992).

http://tscm.com/MIL-STD-188-124B.PDF

MIL-HDBK-419
    21 JANUARY 1982
    MILITARY HANDBOOK
    GROUNDING, BONDING, AND SHIELDING FOR
    ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENTS AND FACILITIES
    VOLUME I OF 2 VOLUMES BASIC THEORY

https://www.wbdg.org/FFC/NAVFAC/DMMHNAV/hdbk419a_vol1.pdf

MIL-HDBK-419
    21 JANUARY 1982
    MILITARY HANDBOOK
    VOLUME II OF 2 VOLUMES APPLICATIONS

https://www.wbdg.org/FFC/NAVFAC/DMMHNAV/hdbk419a_vol2.pdf

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  13. KB7AVT

less is always better ... 5 ohms or less... I'll post in chat some info...
    If we where doing telecommunication outside plant in manholes (or in PC world today.. maintenance holes) anything less than 25 ohms is great, ... in telco MDF 5 ohms or less is required ... in ham radio ... NEC code is what is required... so I tell everyone check your local code as a minimum standard... on similar note if your antennas are indoor under your roof and ur operating off battery power a lot of this may be N/A pending your antenna configuration. cheers!

14. KB7AVT

I enjoy discussing grounding ... call me on TG 31292 ( Saint Lewis Metro) ... let's do this.

Grounding and Bonding References:

MIL-STD-188/124B, MILITARY STANDARD: GROUNDING, BONDING AND SHIELDING FOR COMMON LONG HAUL/TACTICAL COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS INCLUDING GROUND BASED COMMUNICATIONS-ELECTRONICS FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENTS (01 FEB 1992).

http://tscm.com/MIL-STD-188-124B.PDF

MIL-HDBK-419
    21 JANUARY 1982
    MILITARY HANDBOOK
    VOLUME I OF 2 VOLUMES BASIC THEORY

https://www.wbdg.org/FFC/NAVFAC/DMMHNAV/hdbk419a_vol1.pdf

MIL-HDBK-419
    21 JANUARY 1982
    MILITARY HANDBOOK