ad: CQMM-1

Introduction to the RRF network

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Dec 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Introduction to the RRF network with Stephane F5LGW, a Network of Francophone Repeaters. Like a "Super-Relay", it connects different access points and repeaters all around the globe. To access the network, all you need is an FM transceiver. They used a very efficient codec "OPUS" which make the communications via the Internet sounds exactly a local FM station. They built a nice dashboard web page and a lot of software to manage the network and control any interference efficiently. If you are looking for a project for your club or group, this is base on an open-source platform that can be replicated. This is a good way to increase local analog repeater activities with a low-cost access for users compared to digital mode as all radios support FM. There will be a video series covering every details.

The RRF dashboard http://rrf4.f5nlg.ovh:82/

RRF French documentation and information about the Spotnik hotspot http://docs.rrf.ovh/

Base on SVXlink https://www.svxlink.org/

73 de VA2NRJ et VA2PV

F5LGWRRF_EN_HD_Thumb.jpg

2. W7IVK

W7IVK Ham Member QRZ Page

How is this different from Allstar?

3. F5PBG

F5PBG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello to all,

How did this creation go ?
    At the beginning we were all interconnected to Echolink.
    SVXLINK is the linux version of echolink.

For reasons that I do not approve but i will not communicate here, this interconnection has been limited to only -L and -R relays.
    I did not agree with this principle which forbid isolated amateurs to connect to the network from a PC or smartphone.
    I said it regularly and I found myself blacklisted on this "private" Echolink group...

This network then dissociated itself from echolink, this avoids any complaints to echolink managers i suppose.

Some French echolink relays were interested in the process.
    They left echolink. It's their right.

The audio of this network is close to that of Echolink obviously since it works with svxlink.
    It is not the new codec that will make a huge difference

What bothers me is the removal of access by computer or smartphone.
    For those who are far from a VHF relay on the network, they will need to purchase the interface.

Do not tell me that it is to promote the radio because some use the interface directly with the computer.
    I remind you that it works with svxlink which have this possibility of course.

The network administrator had blacklisted my personal IP with respect to my position on the subject.
    We can see his tolerance level... I wouldn't be surprised if he complained about my response here on the forum.

In short, I would have preferred that this approach remain on Echolink with possible access by internet.
    I didn't say everything, if you want to talk about it in French if possible, I'm on skype (ludoradio/f5pbg) ...

Now if you like this echolink-bis, enjoy of course.

Best regards,
    73's de Ludovic - F5PBG
    http://f5pbg.free.fr

F4JBS and W7IVK like this.
  4. VA2SS

VA2SS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi, great presentation gentlemen.... and as usual Pascal! I think even if there is many digital and analog networks at the moment, there will be always room for exploration and experimentation.
    I know Pascal very well, and he is really enjoy being involved into a network project like one. I remember years ago his project using Fusion with the DV4mini. We had so much fun!

I wish all of you having fun with your project. I hope there will be another video showing us progress, and maybe network integration with other platform.

Keep going guys.... Experiment and have fun! :)

73 de Jeff | VA2SS

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    VA2PV likes this.
  5. W9SBE

W9SBE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

English documentation?

Sandy W9SBE

6. MM7WAB

MM7WAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly the reason many of us avoided the project. Most of us are now using the FreeSTAR network. Gives freedom to connect with a very wide range of devices. true multi-mode network Built by HAMs for HAMs. Transcodes between many DV network modes connecting everything together. repeaters, gateways, personal nodes, hotspots, network assisted devices etc.:) I use it on UHF via local DMR repeater when I can but can use network radios or almost any android device or PC to 'get in' to FreeSTAR from almost anywhere. - no stuff to buy, no fuss, use whatever You already have access to. :)