ad: M2Ant-1

New Ham Tips - Splatter. What is is it? Why is it bad? How to avoid it.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Oct 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

New Ham Tips - Splatter. What is is it? Why is it bad? How to avoid it.

W2CSI, KK6QMS, W4FBI and 26 others like this.
  2. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

.Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    K7BEN and M1WML like this.
  3. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Title should read "New and Veteran Ham Tips - Splatter......" I hear more experienced hams splattering than "New."

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    K4NXS, ITAL7, WD4ELG and 11 others like this.
  4. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

The video is a very good technical explanation for signal splattering and how to avoid. The used Linux SDR (GQRX) is a great tool. But there is the bandwith exceeding in cause of the hub configuration too. But it is mostly to resolve internaly in the transceiver for to get the best configuration.

HB9EPC and M1WML like this.
  5. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ridiculously excellent Video.

KC7ZXY and M1WML like this.
  6. KA1GJU

KA1GJU Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  7. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Seeing this more and more on digital modes too as people drive their ALC, which almost is
    totally unnecessary; just a tickle of ALC is all that's needed.

K8BJC, HB9EPC, F4HPX and 4 others like this.
  8. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good info! Great job!

9. K6RAH

K6RAH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very helpful video. Clear & Consise. Thank you. K6RAH

10. AB4D

AB4D QRZ Lifetime Member #415 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Some ops, clearly do not know how to use an ALC meter. I live on the east coast of NC. I hear the same guys using phone on 75 meters every evening, splattering 10 KHz wide up and down the band.

AB4D

HB9EPC, AA5BK, W8OSK and 1 other person like this.
  11. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

12. N4QNT

N4QNT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If all the radio manufacturers would get on board like the Apache Labs ANAN SDR transceiver, and incorporate PURE SIGNAL aka Adaptive Pre-Distortion the waterfalls across the ham bands would look like painted stripes on a white wall. >>>>> Mr. Rob Sherwood explains it well

F4HPX and AA5BK like this.
  13. K0DUC

K0DUC Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going to mention it is the number one thing killing US CB, which it is (worse then power amps and echo boards) is over modulation. But the more I think about it, you are right. It isn't just a problem about obnoxious CB users or new kids to Ham. You hear a lot of older, experienced guys who know enough about radio, yet you catch them pushing too hard.

Maybe some get a bit senile, maybe some change their operation as they age, or make up for a weak voice with a power microphone or cranking up the gain. Some people who know how to use a radio never put any time into working on their voice and transmissions, or how to best set up the microphone for best performance, maybe some people are too nice in their always "5-9" super good radio reports.

It is something we can all try to perfect and get better at, better pronunciation to be understood, getting good modulation and have people able to hear us. And, yes, not overdrive the damned thing.

One last thought as I prattle on, the last New York QSO party there was a lady with beautifully clear audio, with no hint of over drive. Big, big gain into my transceiver on 20 meters. In fact, I could hear her bleed over beyond 3 kHz into another QSO I was making that day. I suppose this was just a whole lotta big power?

KR3DX likes this.
  14. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

This don't include contest stations then i presume..
    Ridiculous...

15. KJ7QQG

KJ7QQG Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have mine activating at all. I always run digital, and what I do is when I call CQ, if the ALC is tripping then I just turn down the volume until it's gone. I find that I'm running 25 watts avg on a 100% duty cycle mode when my power is set to 30. When I was running 100w continuous, it was about 85 avg with no ALC.
    Like, come on, 15% loss of power is way better than your signal being 10 times as wide. I saw someone running PSK31 the other day, that mode is supposed to have about a 50 hz bandwidth. He was coming in where his harmonics spread out over 1000 Hz of waterfall. You could hear the clicks when the phase shifted back and forth.

KR3DX and KC7ZXY like this.