ad: portazero-1

Yaesu FT 991A vs Icom IC 7300 - Which Radio Should You Buy?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Aug 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

I get asked this question a lot!

Which radio should you buy? The Yaesu FT-991A or the Icom IC-7300, both great radios for the starting ham. In this video I hope to answer that question and show the key similarities, differences and specifications that I looked at when comparing the two radios.

KC1RPR, MW7OFS, K0TWA and 8 others like this.
  2. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Wonder how many hundreds of videos are already out there about the same topic? And every one will give a different answer.

K3DFD, W5AMG, KA4DPO and 12 others like this.
  3. F1TIO

F1TIO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the best solution to tell the difference is to buy the two tranceivers:):):)

K0CXF, KB9JQU, N7XCZ and 16 others like this.
  4. W8VIJ

W8VIJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did my research on both radios and decided to buy a IC-7300 and I am very satisfied with its performance and friendly menus for set up on all the modes this radio offers.
    I use Fldigi for BPSK, Olivia, Contestia, DominoEX and several other modes. It was very easy to set up the IC-7300 to operate in D-SSB mode.
    You can find plenty of information on YouTube about both radios. I viewed WA2IVD Ham Cured Smoke IC-7300 A-Z videos and they were a great help for understanding this radio.
    It is a great level entry radio too.
    It comes down to what you want the radio to do.
    I hope to hear you on the air.
    73!

CX3ABD, W1CZX, KN8DAP and 5 others like this.
  5. KA7CCP

KA7CCP Ham Member QRZ Page

there more 7300 for sale after people have had them , I don't see to many 991a for sale , and the 991a is a shack in a box 7300 is not , Yaesu comes with a 3 yr factory warranty the 7300 don't, not a very good comparison

KB9HGI, K0TWA, KN6DAM and 6 others like this.
  6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

If your not big into 2m/430 SSB then the 7300 is nice. I did like the audio on the 991a better with the stock mike. (listening to other station). I bought the 991a because of that and I like vhf/uhf I sideband. I didn't want to buy two rigs also.
    That being said the menus are just plain stupid on it and a real PITA to get up on digital modes. If someone asked I would tell them to go with the 7300 if they are looking to do mainly HF.
    Would I buy the 991a again? Most likely no. Yaesu has a way to go with user friendly.

KK7AWK, W1SRR, K3MRK and 9 others like this.
  7. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Having owned both radios myself, your experience mirrors mine. Still, if on a budget, I would buy the 991 instead of the 7300 if I ALSO wanted VHF/UHF SSB and couldn't afford a second rig. There just aren't many options for 2m/440 radios with SSB.

W5AMG, K7SKE, AA9RK and 6 others like this.
  8. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Looked at both got 991A, vhf and uhf, better audio receive better DNR, didn't buy them for the display, Used to Yaesu menu's ( also having FT847 with Collins filters, FT2000=D, and FT100.)
    Easy setup for digital modes, C4FM, working good on HF and 2/70.
    If the Ftdx 10 had 2 and 70 it would have been the choice.
    It didn't so the 991a was the choice.

W5AMG, K0ATV, KA7CCP and 2 others like this.
  9. N4NXD

N4NXD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've owned both. I kept the 7300. Maybe it's because I have two 9700s and prefer the UI and capability of running radios remotely, or the waterfall display on the Icom's is superior. The Yaesu is a quality product, built well, but the UI plain sucks.

AA9RK, KA1LQE, KA7CCP and 6 others like this.
  10. KF7DS

KF7DS Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a real personal choice (I operate CW and SSB mostly).

I too had the 7300 and sold it as I could not get used to the audio (raspy to my ears), and inferior to my 7610 and 705 in that regard

I like my 991a much better because it is less fatiguing to listen to. Menus are easy once you understand the structure-not difficult

W5AMG, W4FLX, N0ZNA and 8 others like this.
  11. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It does not make any difference because neither one of them are in stock at most dealers. HI

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the daily

M1WML and K8PG like this.
  12. N9KYC

N9KYC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good answer is to compare on Sherwood Engineering's website. Raspy sound can be corrected many ways.

K0CXF, M1WML and W2WRX like this.
  13. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The FT-991a would take the prize in every category if the user interface were better... and if their tech support were friendlier. (They gave me the cold shoulder when I asked pre-sales questions.) About the only thing it doesn't have that I would want in a shack-in-the-box is support for the 1.25m band. As it was, their attitude on the phone turned me off and I opted for an IC-7300.

KC8TMW, M1WML and W2WRX like this.
  14. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

ez choice. need/want uhf/vhf its the 991a.
    want to experience modern 2 way radio with a view of the entire
    band you work, the 7300 is fantastic, the 991a display is a joke.
    i love the 991a concept. had one, sent it back.
    hoping for icom to make me an ic 991a... !!!

K2GW and M1WML like this.
  15. KJ7VID

KJ7VID Ham Member QRZ Page

There are only two major factors involved in this decision. 1. Do you want all band all mode transceiver and are you willing to accept a smaller waterfall display? 2. Do you want a bigger waterfall display and are you willing to buy an additional VHF/UHF radio? If you answer yes to #1. then buy the Yaesu FT-991A, if your answer is yes to #2. then buy ICOM 7300.

KG6U, K5JKR, M1WML and 1 other person like this.