ad: elecraft

Solar Cycle 25 "heating up faster than expected"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Aug 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K5XS

K5XS Ham Member QRZ Page

From spaceweather.com:

Issued by the NOAA/NASA Solar Cycle 25 Prediction Panel in 2019, the official forecast calls for Solar Cycle 25 to peak in July 2025. However, a better fit to current data shows Solar Cycle 25 peaking in October 2024. This is just outside the 8-month error bars of the Panel's forecast.

July 2021 was a remarkable month. Solar Cycle 25 crossed multiple thresholds, including its first X-flare and, at one point, 6 sunspots on the solar disk. The last time so many sunspots were seen at the same time was Sept. 2017.

[​IMG]

W3OY, N4FZ, PD0MUX and 11 others like this.
  2. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

30 November 2020 20201130_HMIIF.jpg

N4FZ and M1WML like this.
  3. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

And my predictions are for a crazy wide spread double peak. Check out the photo above - almost nothing in the northern hemisphere. It will lag behind the south by a few years. Double peak = longer cycle activity, lower smoothed sunspot numbers. Cycle 24 would have been 50% higher if the peaks had lined up.

N4FZ, GM4JPZ, K7SKE and 1 other person like this.
  4. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

Facebook page been set up fot the upcoming solarcycle 25..
    Screenshot_20210804-173808_Facebook.jpg

N4FZ and 5B4API like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The SFI remains at historical lows for the (now 1 year plus) onset of a new cycle. SFI's in the 70s are essentially feeble for the HF bands.

Today, for example, the SFI is 73. Yuk.

I keep on saying I will get the rig up and crackin when the SFI hits 95+. Which it did for a few hours a month ago:-(

Yes, I will expect the usual comments about there is lots of DX around, but let's get real: poor conditions shouldn't suggest the anecdotes when we are looking for the trend:)

Your opinion may differ.

Chip W1YW

OH1DY, N4FZ, N9MB and 8 others like this.
  6. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am definitely excited about the cyclical changes coming to the bands, HOWEVER...

Forecast, Schmorecast!

I did mobile HF during the 2009 minimum, and hit VK land from New Hampshire with 100w while driving on Rt. 3 in Nashua...

Just get on the air, the ether may surprise you.

73 de KA1YBS

SM6WWK, N7SBU, W0AMT and 18 others like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

"Yep - that's a fine looking piece of candy. No question. But I don't believe the sugar content is high enough yet so I'm just going to wait a bit longer before I taste it again" ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

AA5BK, VE3EEI, K9VT and 7 others like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I know it sounds cynical. It's just that there is so much on FT8 now, and so little DX prop otherwise for CW and SSB, that I don't want to feel discouraged when getting OTA. I am sure at least some others feel that way. Wish I didn't.

Nothing an SFI of 100+ won't fix!

Chip W1YW

N4FZ, F8WBD, PY2NEA and 3 others like this.
  9. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Last week there was two massive releases on the other side of the sun. Once they rotated into view the areas were quiet. Don't know how long our luck will hold as the current sheet passes through. I do notice that propagation is fickle in comparison to earlier cycles and with our weakening magnetic field it may be hard to judge in the future. If your not up on the latest science take a gander at https://www.youtube.com/user/Suspicious0bservers/videos
    Whatever happens with this cycle it will be interesting.

RZ1O, IZ0IRH and M1WML like this.
  10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AA5BK, N6XJP, WA5VGO and 8 others like this.
  11. N1IPU

Really? They have been published and feature published scientists worldwide including Nasa. I guess anything that disagrees with your worldview is crackpot.

Can you tell me how you qualified that in less than 20 minutes? That is a trick many would find useful.

KK4NSF and M1WML like this.
  12. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Ben_Davidson

From Source Watch:
    QUOTE:
    "Ben Davidson created Suspicious Observers (Suspicious0bservers), a pseudoscience YouTube channel. An ex-lawyer, Davidson has no science training. He has a degree in economics from Denison University and a Juris Doctorate from Capital University Law School.

Davidson's ideas have been debunked by climate scientists. He is behind various websites where he sells his scribblings and tickets to his "annual conference".[1] Davidson makes far-fetched claims about dozens of scientists attending his conferences and conversing secretly with him, but there has only been one notable name at any of his meetings — John Coleman, another notable climate denier. In summary, this man and his followers are delusional."
    UNQUOTE

Davidson also runs www.spaceweathernews.com which prominently features a "Disaster Prediction App" on its front page.

N4FZ, GM4JPZ, M0OXD and 6 others like this.
  13. M7BLC

M7BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Want to know what propagations like exactly where you are ? Just fire up the rig and spin the dials and unless your setup is faulty you will find out in very short order. Some people go out every day whatever the weather forecast and know exactly what it's like - works with Ham Radio as well :) . I'm actually enjoying the low propagation but variable conditions as it makes you work for you contacts - good conditions seems to mean an excuse for unruly and poor behaviour from some stations ? 73

VE3EEI, M0OXD, M0TNX and 5 others like this.
  14. N1IPU

LOL. Yeah great reference My turn...

https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/04/0...piracy-theorists-run-lawyer-lisa-graves-11093

You partisan hacks are truly hopeless.

M1WML likes this.
  15. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Please keep the topic on the solar cycle and not conspiracy discussions regarding other things.

No further posts/retorts on that topic please.

This is the "Amateur Radio News" forum

Thanks

Dave
    W7UUU

N4FZ, WA9JOQ, N7RD/SK2023 and 4 others like this.