ad: Alphaant-1

Simple Portable HF Antennas with Tim G5TM | Easy to Build

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jun 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you want to make a simple HF antenna using nothing but coax? Today I speak with Tim G5TM as he shares his experiences on building HF antennas, running portable, mobile and the fun to be had during the Sporadic E season.

These HF antennas are simple to build and an easy way to get on the air!

K4NJ, KN4USA, VK3CRG and 6 others like this.
  2. KT5WB

KT5WB Ham Member QRZ Page

I cannot support using up meter after meter of coax by stripping off the shield. Just strip back a few cm from the end, and then solder on some plain vanilla 16ga copper stranded for the radiator. Will save you big bucks on coax.

I would also recommend the below calculator by ON4AA for the choke design: https://www.hamwaves.com/qoil/en/index.html

My flowerpot for 6m is doing very well this Es season, SWR around 1:1.2 at 50.313. 8 turns of RG58 on a 2" PVC gives me over 2k ohms of choking for less than 2m of coax. Also lets me mow the lawn without moving radials every weekend!

NM7TM, US7IGN, AA5BK and 1 other person like this.
  3. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Too much talk, not enough antenna and construction pics for my taste. Also, agree with KT5WB above, no need for all the stripping unless you want to double back the shield to simulate a true coaxial dipole. But either way, they work E-Skip pleasantly.

WB2JAX, K5SLO, K5RSB and 1 other person like this.
  4. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh no. We're not going down that path again? Please, let us not comment on "the goofy looking presenter" and so forth.

NU4R, KN4USA, VK7HH and 1 other person like this.
  5. VK3CRG

VK3CRG Ham Member QRZ Page

If the most people have to whinge about is a thumbnail of someone pointing or there is "too much talking", then I look forward to watching (and critiquing) the videos you produce. Hayden has taken the time to put out lots of great content on his channel - no one is forcing anyone to "click play". As mother used to say..."if you've got nothing nice (or constructive) to say....probably best to zip it". Thanks for the interesting content on your channel @VK7HH . I especially like the video on the DX Commander antenna & the microwave stuff you've done. I have zero experience with microwave and found your videos to be very informative. Hayden gives up his spare time to make videos on a subject we're all interested in and doesn't deserve picky sniping from the side of the stage like the two cranky old guys on the Muppet show. This sort of critique and nitpicking of a guy good enough to spend his spare time producing this content to help others, is not really in the spirit of the amateur radio hobby in my humble opinion. Craig VK3CRG

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    WB2JAX, M0NIM, K6WI and 1 other person like this.
  6. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Craig, I appreciate the kind words and that you've found value in the content I produce.

73!

VK3CRG likes this.
  7. K6WI

K6WI Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. If you want to be a turd, go lay in the yard. Otherwise stay off of Youtube if it bothers a person too much. This is one thing I hate about posting on QRZ. There are always a few...

WD4ELG, VK7HH and VK3CRG like this.
  8. KN4USA

KN4USA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KT5WB, Where is your video on how to make an antenna?

K6WI likes this.
  9. KN4USA

KN4USA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where is your content that helps ham radio?

K6WI likes this.
  10. K0DXV

K0DXV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very interesting idea. Many years ago I built a 10 meter version of this. But it did not seem to work so well. I believe it was because I didn't quite understand how to make the choke. Today I will build the 6 meter version discussed in this video. 6 is becoming active this summer and I look forward to trying this design out. Thanks for taking the time to create the video.

11. KJ7OTM

KJ7OTM Ham Member QRZ Page

His content helped me avoid the video. And I appreciate that!

It's a shame people don't edit things more smartly, the content is lost in the unwanted jumble.

12. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you...in spite of all the angry hams who I'm certain do very little, or absolutely nothing, to pass on some thoughts to better our hobby.