ad: QuirkyQRP-1

HR2.0 - New FCC RF Safety Rules | Ham Radio Livestream with Ria Jiaram

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, May 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For today's Lunchtime Livestream, I welcome Ria Jiaram, N2RJ, the ARRL Hudson Division Director. She is going to talk to us about some new FCC RF Safety Rules that the ARRL has put lots of time and effort info. As Ham Radio Operators, we need to be aware of RF Safety around our home Ham Radio base stations, so this is vital information for all of us.

K6MJU, K6EFA, KB7THL and 7 others like this.
  2. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent presentation. It really isn't about a restriction on us, but rather good scientific cover for us if we are ever challenged.

After running the exemption calculation (which I passed), I ran the exposure calculators just for fun (and to be thorough, as suggested). ABSOLUTELY do the calculations yourself, but you would be hard-pressed to be out of compliance with a 100w station unless your antenna was in the shack with you.:eek: Even with full legal power, it shouldn't be very difficult at all to meet the requirements.

KG7HVR, PY2NEA, KQ1V and 6 others like this.
  3. IU5CJP

IU5CJP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Correct her name, she is Ria Jairam, not Jiaram!

AA2EC, AJ6KZ, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  4. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I took my Technician Class examination in '05, RF Safety was a small section in the ARRL's "Now You're Talking" study guide, and in my 16 years of hamming I have never seen or heard of ANY ham (at least in my large social circle) performing an RF Safety assessment. Good video.

KC5HWB and KD5BVX like this.
  5. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good info and another good video providing usable info for all hams! Glad she joined you.

KQ1V and KC5HWB like this.
  6. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Cell phone networks, bluetooth devices, wi-fi networks, broadcast TV and radio, aircraft/weather radars, and thousands of salitlites exposing us to massive (collectively) RF radiation 24.7, and the FCC and ARRL are worried about a (comparatively) few ham radios...really?

I'd kind of like to see any data that actually confirms that operating an amateur radio station is any more dangerous than just sitting in your living room on any given day in the modern world..

KG7HVR, KD0WQP, K4VTE and 11 others like this.
  7. KC5HWB

Thanks, done. I guess she didn't notice that either, lol

8. KC5HWB

I agree, good point.

9. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Good info and all operators should have an understanding of the heating values / effects of RF. One wouldn't operate the microwave oven with the door off and watch the food cook??? without your fractal cloaking glasses on and a tin hat?? Distance is you friend and most station can keep antennas a few meters away from operators and public. Antenna up in the air... out of reach... likely safe. Some operators operating in condos or antenna in the attic could be a problem. That stealth loop antenna around the eves might not be a good idea? That 440 mHz yagi pointing at the neighbors might be of concern. Do the math.

Academia wise... IMO like all on the ZED...This has opening up a can of worms. Government regulation, compliance, inspection and the list never ends. Local city RF code reinforcement just like towers. Just saying. ARRL hello........

It's already been noted about mobile, portable op's and wait for it ... hand-held use. Run the math for those uses and bump the frequencies into the VHF - UHF bands.

Repeater operators take note TOO. Most of us should know the compliance/ human exposure at these location...just multiply it by all those site RF emitters. Signs posted as in my previous post.

Were all exposed to something. Hold your breath, Pinch your nose. WA6VVC / WA6CAM

WN1C, KD5BVX and KC5HWB like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

"'I' before 'A', except after 'J'"
    lol? A telling response.

AJ6KZ, N3FAA and KC5HWB like this.
  11. W4KDN

W4KDN Ham Member QRZ Page

This begs the question....Ham radio has been around for over a century. Has there EVER been a documented case of physiological damage that can directly be attributed to amateur radio operation?.... Are we trying to fix a problem that does not exist?

WB4YAL and KB1MM like this.
  12. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the bureaucratic mindset. It's about maintaining the appearance of being useful.

K1XS, KB1MM, K9FV and 3 others like this.
  13. W8XP

W8XP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to mention comparing it to a microwave oven where the meat is less than 6 inches away from the antenna at 1100 watts with much longer exposure time, really!

WB4YAL likes this.
  14. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Who needs a microwave when you can hang dinner at the end of your Yagi?

AJ6KZ and K2NED like this.
  15. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

First question: Falling from a tower, yes. RF exposure? No.

Second question: Yes. It's the world we live in. If it weren't for over-regulating the piss out of everything, some government employees would starve to death, as they're otherwise unemployable.

AG5CK, WB4YAL and WN1MB like this.