ad: k1jek

Portable HF gear in a small footprint

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5QBF, Apr 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K5QBF

K5QBF Ham Member QRZ Page

When I upgraded to General, the first thing I started working on was the ability to go portable. I live in an apartment and the noise floor on a daily basis is S7-S8. The first time I experienced an S-0 noise floor I was hooked. Stations that were barely an S2 sounded like they were in the same room with me. So I put together a list of things that might help someone else in my circumstance get out on the air.

KB2QQM, VK3SQ, GM0JDB and 17 others like this.
  2. WM1N

WM1N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like a good system for field operation. Now that I am officially Retired, hoping try POTA. The spider beam mast looks interesting. Would like to try an endfed halfwave at some point. Currently I have an Alpha ProMaster with Tripod. Have two radios for field use, a Yaesu FT-857D with Bioenno 30 AH Battery and an Icom IC-705. Next I need to look around for some pelican cases.

KD1JT, N3AWS, K5QBF and 1 other person like this.
  3. KG5TON

KG5TON Ham Member QRZ Page

A ham radio YouTube video under 7 minutes long? What is this trickery?

KB2QQM, N4FJC, GM0JDB and 15 others like this.
  4. WB8UBR

WB8UBR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Shane, I like the cases you have. Who makes them?
    Thanks for the video.

K5QBF likes this.
  5. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Those look like Pelican 1500 series, I have a few.

6. AE0Q

AE0Q Ham Member QRZ Page

K4MID, AK5B, K0DME and 5 others like this.
  7. W6WR

W6WR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video and thanks for making it. Will subscribe and look forward to some more from you in the future. 73.

K5QBF likes this.
  8. K5QBF

They are Apache 3800 from harbor Freight.

AK5B, N3AWS, WB8UBR and 3 others like this.
  9. W5CTL

W5CTL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AE0Q and K5QBF like this.
  10. K5QBF

Yea I try and make the video length for the content. Some videos take longer than others, but this one was pretty easy to wrap up pretty quick and still get all the details in there.

N7BWB and KE0N like this.
  11. SV0SGS

SV0SGS Ham Member QRZ Page

Great presentation! Keeping things minimalist is a virtue. But I can top that! I use a Yaesu FT-891 and a 12Ah LiFePO4 battery. My antennas are are mono-band EFHW antennas (10, 15 and 20 meters) with an adjustment stub f(no "tuner" or bulky matchbox necessary) or adjusting SWR in different situations. (www.lambdahalbe.de). I also use a spiderbeam telescope mast. I have two, each 12 meters long. Since I live on a rocky island, using tent pegs is an exercise in frustration. I use masking tape (temporary, leaves no residue) to attach the antenna wire to the mast and lean it against a convenient tree, maybe use some cordage to lash it to some branches. Sometimes I lash it to my motor scooter if the wind is not too strong. I have about 15 feet of RG58 coax, too. Everything, icnluding power cable for radio, but excluding the spiderbeam mast, fits into a small backpack, and I still have room for a couple of sandwhiches and beer. I use my phone to do lookups on qrz.com. I can't do CW so I am limited to SSB/phone. Digital work in a portable situation is too messy and requires more pack space (laptop, audio interface, cables - lots of cables - not very fun). As I mentioned above, I live on a rocky island, so there is often a convenient rock that I can use as a table and chair. Sometimes I take a small foam pad along. A little softer than a rock and keeps any dampness away. Anyway, great video! We learn from each other! 73! SV0SGS

KD1JT, AK5B, N3AWS and 4 others like this.
  12. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good TU for showing. I also like the minimum gear. I am set up with my antenna, radio and a few comforts, like a folding stool, a 4X6 tarp my 1972 Schwinn 10 speed bicycle, my radio is the Mountain Topper MT4b, linked dipole along with a Buddipole vertical and a telescoping fiberglass pole.

I ride some trails, go to parks and spend about 10 to 15 minutes setting up, I use a 9 volt pocket radio battery for power.
    Make plenty of contacts through out the country and DX contact. I do run a lot of power 4.5 watts when battery is fresh, but after several hours my voltage drops, and when it drops to around 6.8 volts I am putting out about .8 watts, which brings me down into the QRPp category.

My whole setup weighs around 12 pounds, not including the made in America 1972 Schwinn, it weighs 15 pounds.
    72'

KE4GBE, US7IGN and K5QBF like this.
  13. F8WBD

F8WBD Guest

Actually, nothing wrong with having a minimalist "at-home" station too. Don't necessarily need racks and racks of equipment to have a QSO...even if you have the room. But that is another subject.

SV0SGS, K3DBI, N3AWS and 1 other person like this.
  14. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

nice! thanks for posting.

K5QBF likes this.
  15. KL7IS

KL7IS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a trap!

KA9P, K4MID and K5QBF like this.