ad: M2Ant-1

QSO Today with Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR from FlexRadio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Feb 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2021-2-21_13-17-34.png
    Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR, is the founder and CEO of FlexRadio that is now on the cutting edge of building advanced software defined radio (SDR) platforms for amateur radio, as well as for government, business, and the military. Gerald is a leader and pioneer in the development of SDR leading to the founding of FlexRadio. This episode is a newly minted version of the original interview that I had with K5SDR in 2015.

M1WML, KC2YMO, W2CSI and 6 others like this.
  2. N8QQE

N8QQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The 6600M is a nice looking transceiver... for some reason thats important to me.

Of all them ive seen this is the one I would love to try. I like the display and have heard some on the air... they sound good.

Its got knobs too, hi hi.

M1WML and NR8O like this.
  3. K0GWA

K0GWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just got a 6600M in Decemeber, there is a learning curve, but it is one hell of a radio!!

K6AN, M1WML, WA7UAR and 1 other person like this.
  4. AE2B

AE2B Ham Member QRZ Page

cha ching

M1WML likes this.
  5. WO2E

WO2E Ham Member QRZ Page

wow, need to service that radio you have to send it to nasa, lol, good looking rig.

M1WML likes this.
  6. SE3X

SE3X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You don't .. But NASA have to send theirs to Flexradio in Austin for repair .. lol

M1WML and K0UO like this.
  7. K0GWA

K0GWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes they are expensive. But I am retired and I figure this will be the last radio I buy. Look at the pre-loved list, thats where I picked up my 6600M.

It retires my IC-7600 which is a nice radio, but will moved along shortly so someone else can enjoy it.

N4UTX, M1WML, WB4KJV and 2 others like this.
  8. KJ7RDV

KJ7RDV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am pleased to see this podcast. I am interested in the Flex line and knowing more about the company.

My career has been in embedded software development for medical devices. I'm old enough to have started with electronics during the hollow-state era, but only recently became an amateur radio operator.

9. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like I may be the only one that doesn't like the look of this radio, and that's okay.

10. WB2HLM

WB2HLM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I also had a career in medical devices. I'm old enough to had a class on vacuum tube rectification and our lab one day was the AC/DC 5 AM Receiver. Became a ham in 1963; led me to a career in electronics. Glad there are a few of us.

M1WML, K3SX and KJ7RDV like this.
  11. W2CSI

W2CSI Ham Member QRZ Page

What does the back look like?

M1WML likes this.
  12. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  13. KM6CS

KM6CS Ham Member QRZ Page

12 week shipment is kinda rough!

M1WML, K0UO and KA2FIR like this.
  14. KC2YMO

KC2YMO Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

15. N8PKN

N8PKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Flex radios are great, drooled at them several years at Hamvention. A couple things that puzzled me though, and ultimately stopped me from buying. For the price, why no stock built in antenna tuner, like EVERYBODY ELSE does, shouldnt be an add-on. And another dumb thing, cant you find room for a mic connector and phone jack on the FRONT of the radio ? Really, is it THAT HARD ?
    Bought an Icom -7600. Maybe some day.