750,000!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Apr 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, the entire database is downloadable directly from FCC. All you would have to do to get a really good estimate is download the DB, load it into a real DBMS like MySQL, then do the queries to find out how many folks have addresses overseas. There would be some error due to US expatriates, but I bet it would get you quite close.

2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I speculate in the future Amateur Radio in the USA will be further privatized with the ARRL, already functioning as the primary license testing administrator and soon an authorized pre-enforcement agent (see proposed new AA / VM program).

At some point joining the ARRL may become MANDATORY for Part 97 licensee's, with at least a portion of the basic dues earmarked as a "license administration and service fee", not a one-time shot, but collected ANNUALLY.

See info elsewhere about the annual fee for QRO Hams proposed in Sweden.

A clever way to boost that membership percentage, and revenues ... ;)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    NK2U likes this.
  3. KK5JY

:eek:

I say again, :eek: !

NK2U likes this.
  4. W5WN

W5WN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I left out the minor detail about the address. A postal box can be rented in every U.S. state or a non-resident can use a friend's address. Once the callsign is received for that address the licensee is free to choose any available callsign, commensurate with their license class, within the contiguous 48 states. With the an appropriate address from other states and territories, even those restricted calls are available.

I think our VE system is too liberal. With the exception of U.S. citizens outside the states, the exam should only be given within the U.S. and its territories. Non-citizens should only be systematically assigned a Block D, 2X3 callsign since citizenship should carry additional privileges.

N6QIC likes this.
  5. W5WN

W5WN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Non-residents are only required to give a U.S. mailing address. For all the FCC knows, the actual residence of the license holder could be Bangladesh.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    N6QIC likes this.
  6. KK5JY

:(

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you visited your local club and talked to/helped the new Tech licensees there?

8. W9AMM

W9AMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Please, let's all take a deep breath before the switch gets thrown on this thread.

It's starting to recover. Please try not to go down the insult rabbit hole.

Thanks.

9. KK5JY

Your "club" experiences must be very different than they are here. I don't remember ever visiting a club where there was anything or anyone "newer" than me. :(

K3XR likes this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The Janus Ruling pretty much killed the mandatory dues thing.

K3XR likes this.