75 Years Since The Hindenburg Disaster, Pics ...

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by K9ROC, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K9ROC

K9ROC Ham Member QRZ Page

These are stunning photos.

75 Years Since The Hindenburg Disaster - In Focus - The Atlantic
    Last Sunday, May 6, marked the 75th anniversary of the 1937 Hindenburg disaster. The massive German airship caught fire while attempting to land near Lakehurst, New Jersey, killing 35 people aboard, plus one ground crew member. Of the 97 passengers and crew members on board, 62 managed to survive. The horrifying incident was captured by reporters and photographers and replayed on radio broadcasts, in newsprint, and on newsreels. News of the disaster led to a public loss of confidence in airship travel, ending an era.

2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Link didn't bring up anything on the ship for me. Would like to save the pix.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  4. K9ROC

K9ROC Ham Member QRZ Page

Strange, I just tried again and I see all of the pics on this end.

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

All I get is a splash page for Atlantic, and FOCUS. I did a search for hindenburg and clicked on the first article, but nothing comes up. Strange.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

that was cool lot of interesting stuff especially the link to the movie.

7. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And, if you hear W2H on the air, that is the commemorative station. I think they'll be on until this coming Sunday.

9. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A complete kitchen, equipped with state of the art 1936 electrical appliances, surrounded by hydrogen.

What could possibly go wrong?

10. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Better an electric kitchen than a gas one!

11. K6BBC

K6BBC Super Moderator QRZ Page

Speaking of which... You might enjoy this episode I did for Beyond Belief.

Sorry about the poor quality.

[video=youtube;JuUbPHvCdxw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuUbPHvCdxw[/video]

12. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, that's run by our club. We had a couple of stations at the Lakehurst NAS last weekend.

If you need them on any bands/modes let me know.

13. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

14. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to have a wondefful book on airships and it covered all the way from Santos-Doumont to the last flights of the Graf Zeppelin 2. The Shennandoah, Ackron & Macon, R100 and the R101 and the R34? plus a lot about the Zeppelin raids in WW1 by the likes of Peter Strasser and Mathey. The experiences of the German naval airships of the UK were fascinating. Great book.

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  15. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

16. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I-77 now runs through the site where ZR-1 Shennandoah crashed. The southbound rest stop has a kind of mini-museum about the ship. But that road through Ohio is such a mess it probably induced the disaster retroactively.

17. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent photographs, some of which I saw in a book about the disaster which I read many years ago.
    I don't think I saw mention of how the airship caught fire but if I recall correctly this is what the book said. It was very windy on that day and the captain had made a number of attempts to attach the aircraft to the mooring mast but the strength of the wind kept making it difficult. On the final attempt the wind pushed the Zeppelin into the mooring mast which ruptured the outer skin, must have created a spark which ignited the highly explosive gas in the craft.

Looking at the photos it doesn't appear to be possible but as the fire started at that end that must be the only reasonable cause.

18. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're talking about the Hindenburg, you recall incorrectly.

The fire in the Hindenburg started near the stern and burned towards the bow. The mooring is in the bow. There was no collision with the mooring mast.

The outer skin did not contain the hydrogen. There were actually large cloth bags inside the body of the zeppelin, called cells, which contained the gas. Damage would have to go through at least two layers to cause a leak.

There are several theories about how the fire started, ranging from sabotage to static discharge to carelessness to mechanical failure. The most convincing one to me is that the outer fabric of the Hindenburg was doped with an extremely flammable material, and it caught fire from a static discharge, and the burning fabric ignited the hydrogen.

IMHO, even if the Hindenburg had not caught fire, lighter-than-air craft would not have held more than a minor place in aviation. Because:

1) They're too slow. Hindenburg took three days to cross the Atlantic; only a bit faster than a fast ship.
    2) They fly too low - they can't get above the weather.
    3) The passenger and luggage capacity compared to the size of the ship is too small, resulting in enormous ticket prices ($400 in the 1930s, equating to over $6000 today).

73 de Jim, N2EY

19. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From my readings, and looking at the photos, the Hindenburg never came close enough to the mooring mast to put a line across. In any case the fire appeared to start in the aft section, not the nose.

-The most recent suggestion is that the captain maneuvered the ship too quickly by reversing course in the gusty winds. This may have broken one or more of the girders in the aft section, puncturing the gas bags, etc....

-The other long time supposition is that static electricity may have built to dangerous levels caused by the high winds and nearby thunderstorms. Certainly possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.