ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Congressional Resolution--Help Needed

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Nov 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5XS

K5XS Ham Member QRZ Page

Representative Debbie Lasko from the 8th District in Arizona has introduced a House Resolution to declare April 21, 2021 National Amateur Radio Operators Day.

Her proposed resolution is here;

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-resolution/1201/text

I just got off the phone with the staffer in her office working the bill, and he was genuinely enthusiastic about it and sees it as a great opportunity to showcase the Amateur Radio Service.

I noted to him that there are presently no co-sponsors, and he replied that they are working that, and that they are currently working with the following Representatives to obtain their co-sponsorship of the resolution:

Paul A. Gosar, D.D.S. (AZ-04)

Joe Courtney (CT-02)

Carol Miller (WV-03)

Peter Welch (VT)

Deb Haaland (NM-01)

Russ Fulcher (ID-01)

Ken Buck (CO-04)

If you are interested in seeing this resolution passed, you may want to communicate that to the above Representatives, particularly if they represent your District/State. If you are unsure how to contact a member of Congress, full information can be found here:

https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative

Note that odds of passing the resolution in the limited time remaining of this Congress are small, but Congresswoman Lasko will re-introduce it again with the next Congress, and obtaining co-sponsorships now will help greatly with that early next year.

Bernie

WA5HDC and K8VSY like this.
  2. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

On a Wednesday... when April 18,2021 is World Amateur Radio Day. Wonder what her call sign is? Yep thought so... but I digress. Carry on.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2020
    K8CGS and K0UO like this.
  3. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't need a resolution to feel good. Everyday is Amateur Radio Operators Day at my ham shack.

KE6UPI, K8CGS, WE4E and 17 others like this.
  4. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Greg Walden (R-OR) is retiring at the end of this term, but he is also a ham: W7EQI.

5. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You betcha' it is.... specially when the SFI is over 100. But I'd greater appreciate them supporting free speech.

KE6UPI likes this.
  6. KC9TNH

KC9TNH Ham Member QRZ Page

The day before Patriots' Day. Hmm.

KF4ZKU likes this.
  7. W9VTT

W9VTT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

why

K8CGS, W9ELO, W6MQI and 2 others like this.
  8. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Congress is constantly declaring commemorative days -- a meaningless and embarrassing waste of time. We can take our place among National Garlic Day, National High Five Day, and National Jelly Bean Day (all actual Congressional resolutions). Does that make you feel proud?

KE6UPI, K8CGS, W4ABC and 6 others like this.
  9. AB5WX

AB5WX QRZ Lifetime Member #313 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm slightly biased to the date on the 21st of April, as that is my birthday lol

WD5GIC and K8JHR like this.
  10. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a resolution worthy of a regional radio club.

...and then once a bunch of clubs are seen to support it, it'll be a cinch to gain national recognition.

Why tie up the US House of Reps with it?
    At best, this is putting the cart before the horse. At worst it's a tragic waste of resources- they've got many more important things to do.

K8CGS, K8XG, K8JHR and 2 others like this.
  11. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm unable to find a record of any female amateur radio operator in the United States with such a name. There are two females which share the surname, but the rest of their names aren't even close and they aren't from Arizona.

12. W1LOG

W1LOG Ham Member QRZ Page

These days are meaningless. WooHoo! Congress reads some declaration. It means nothing. Now if congress was passing some bill to protect amateur spectrum, allow antennas in HOA's or prevent by statue the FCC imposing licensing fees I'd be on board.

W2ZF, N0TZU, K9FH and 2 others like this.
  13. KN6HVU

KN6HVU Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a letter written out for us to send to our Representative?

14. KD8JV

KD8JV Ham Member QRZ Page

I never make a comment. But! I will now!

Congress has a lot to do for this country than to make a day for us! We need Congress and Senate to put this Country back in order!
    Not a Day of observance for us. Lets tackle the important issues.

KF4ZKU and K9GLS like this.
  15. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I want my participation trophy now. Sorry, it's on the bottom of my list for congressmen to pay attention to.

OH2DX, W9RLG and K9GLS like this.