ad: chuckmartin

JS8Call: Overview of Operational Features

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0OKE, Nov 11, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0OKE

K0OKE Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2020-11-11_11-19-9.png

Presentation given at the November 2020 Meeting of the Tallahassee Amateur Radio Society (TARS) on the JS8 digital mode and operational details and advance features of JS8Call.

WA6RE, AI5HG, KM6ZJK and 9 others like this.
  2. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

What is JS8Call?
    What kind of system?
    That seems fun. I want to see it.

JF1IRQ

3. W8MRL

W8MRL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

JS8Call is a derivative of the FT8 protocol in WSJT-X. It provides for keyboard to keyboard communications using essentially FT8 style transmissions. It works well, like FT8 in weak signal situations.

KB0NMQ, K2NCC, WP4BRI and 1 other person like this.
  4. JF1IRQ

Thank you for W8MRL.
    Is it a chat?

JF1IRQ

5. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

JS8 call is the cat's arse. It has features such as being able to sync time that make it the go to in an emergency. The ability to message forward is also fantastic. I have tried most digital modes and its the simplest to integrate and get running. I really don't use any other mode now. I highly recommend anyone give it a go. I am sure you will like it out of the box.

YO4PX likes this.
  6. ZS5SID

ZS5SID Ham Member QRZ Page

Using it here in South Africa works well not across the pond yet hope contact other contries.

ZS5SID

7. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

JS8CALL is FT8 with a QSO with the same specifications (-27dB below the noise floor / 50 Hz)...

Key board to Key board, about 20wpm...

I was one of the first 50 users, it is great...

NN2X, Tom

KN4SKF and JF1IRQ like this.
  8. CA7OKD

CA7OKD Ham Member QRZ Page

I like JS8, I have been using it occasionally for some time, the bad part is that it does not have the same "weak signal" capabilities of FT8, despite being a fork. On occasions prior agreement I have worked FT8 with a good signal level 8000-3000-1500 kms. and we have only gotten contact at 1500 kms., the interesting part is that it is conversational, and I like the radio beacon mode.
    It really is a good way ...
    CD7CKU Cesar
    FE37eo

K0UO likes this.
  9. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am having a ton of fun with it. It is a chat mode like PSK31, but with the speed turned down it is better at weak signal work. If you get bored with FT8 because you want to have a bit of a QSO but still have the same general weak signal ability, you will like it.
    If you work PSK and want to try the new modes but don't want to give up the ability to "talk", you will like it.
    I tend to do both, but will leave JS8CALL running while I am doing other things to feed PSKREPORTER.

JF1IRQ likes this.
  10. AB5WX

AB5WX QRZ Lifetime Member #313 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Learned a lot from this. Thanks for sharing.

N3EDO and K2NCC like this.
  11. NR9Q

NR9Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am really going to have to give this mode another try. The last couple of times I have pulled up and monitored the bands I did no really see any conversational QSO's being made. Will spend more time monitoring JS8CALL in the near future. The message forwarding sounds interesting. Could someone elaborate a little more on this? If not I can find it in the manual I am sure. With several YouTube channels promoting it for portable/field use it is seeming more interesting. I almost have the GoBox complete. Look forward to giving it another go. 73

Chris Schulz
    NR9Q

12. W8MRL

W8MRL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, you would use it to chat. It also has a function to save and forward messages but that has a little bit of a learning curve.
    It's worth installing and playing with it.

Rob, W8MRL

K4CDN and JF1IRQ like this.
  13. CA7OKD

CA7OKD Ham Member QRZ Page

14. JF1IRQ

Thank you for N1IPU.
    I'll test it when I'm ready.

JF1IRQ

15. JF1IRQ

Thank you for NN2X.