ad: chuckmartin

Parachute Mobile you say?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Oct 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, its a thing! Carlos KD9OLN and I talk about how he #HamsHarder

Come check it out!

M1WML likes this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was expecting to see a cool video of making contacts while floating down under a canopy. But after scrubbing back and forth all I see are a few photos, and chatter. I’m not going to let it drone on for an hour to see 30 seconds of jump video (if it exists).

I appreciate the effort that goes into these productions, but for heaven’s sake keep them reasonably short and to the point.

M1WML, G0IAX, K3RW and 6 others like this.
  3. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not for you.....
    Ymmv

M1WML, NW7O, W1TRY and 2 others like this.
  4. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if there is any Doppler effect ? HI HI .... ..

M1WML likes this.
  5. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice! I started thinking about how we could create the doppler effect on one of his jumps... He'd be pretty dizzy.

M1WML likes this.
  6. KD8DEY

A hold my Beer, and Watch this moment??

M1WML likes this.
  7. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have Facebook or Twitter, so I hope that Carlos posts on QRZ when he
    is going to go jumping again. Sounds like some folks in the Milwaukee area
    were making contact or at least hearing him in that first jump. Couldn't
    believe he didn't have a strap on the FT3DR...that's an expensive radio!
    Later videos show a long strap to go around his neck I guess.

Last year, I contacted a parachute mobile in California...via Echolink.
    That was interesting. :)

M1WML and KM9G like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

What's the time stamp of the parachute jumping radio video? It IS a YouTube and all that... right?

I scrolled and saw nothing about anyone in the air making a QSO via parachute

Thanks

Dave
    W7UUU

M1WML, K3RW and N0TZU like this.
  9. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  10. IK0TIX

IK0TIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

a tower 14,000 feet high...:D fantastic
    It would be worth trying with a QRP (818 or 705), the only problem is logging the contacts :rolleyes:.
    73 by Max

M1WML and KM9G like this.
  11. KD8DEY

Why is it illegal in Florida for an unmarried woman to skydive on sunday??

M1WML likes this.
  12. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Was doing a jump course as I was heading to aerobatic school. Wasn't required but thought it best anyways. The day I arrived I said hello to my instructor who pointed out that jumpers were above and getting ready to go. I watched intently as they fell and watch the chutes open. Well all but one. it was a streamer. No idea why he didn't cut loose but he fell. About 800' away. Thud has stuck with me for 40+ years now. That was my experience with jumping. Still wore a chute but figured I would only use it when there was no other choice.
    Figured I would add this as the video contains nothing in resemblance to the title. Should have known considering the poster.

M1WML, N3FAA and N0TZU like this.
  13. N0TZU

That’s awful.

Where I used to work is next to the Longmont GA airport (KLMO) that has a very active skydiving operation. On two occasions while walking around the plant after lunch, I saw a jumper hit the ground near the plant property with only a partially opened chute.

There have been a number of fatalities associated with that operation. One was an instructor who also videotaped jumping customers, including two relatives of mine who took an intro tandem jump. She was practicing for a “swooping” competition and hit the ground during the sharp turn toward the skimming pond.

Unrelated, a guy I knew many years ago was a jumping fanatic with tens of thousands logged. Eventually he died when his chutes failed.

I get the feeling that jumpers don’t die of old age in their sleep.

Swooping -

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    M1WML, N3FAA, N8PEM and 1 other person like this.
  14. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I just cannot figure out the fascination. Rather tempt fate in an airplane. I was young when I witnessed it and my father was against it and he had bailed out a couple of times over his career. I started to figure out he was right to begin with. Emergency use only.

M1WML and N0TZU like this.
  15. N0TZU

Agreed. There are a lot of redundant systems in aircraft and you almost always have options if things go wrong, assuming you are prudent. But once you step out of an airplane, you WILL die unless one or the other chute works. I’ve never liked that proposition.

M1WML likes this.