ad: wmr-1

HR2.0 - Icom IC-705 DSTAR to DMR with the Openspot3 Cross Mode

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Icom IC-705 operates DSTAR but with the Openspot3 running cross mode, you can basically work any digital voice mode that you want to. Today I am going to setup the Icom IC-705 and connect it to the Openspot3 running cross mode, and talk into both the TGIF Network and the Brandmeister Network.

K9TAY, KF7LRR, KO4ILY and 4 others like this.
  2. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm, VOIP, Openspot, TGIF Network........when does the Ham Radio part start?

M6NBP, KT5OT, KG7HVR and 7 others like this.
  3. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Right after one sets up the schedule and hangs up the cell phone.

KG7HVR, KD1O and (deleted member) like this.
  4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

One digital mode crossed over to another digital mode so all of them can communicate via the internet.

Wow.....sounds like Echolink with analog radios, extra steps and money.

KT5OT, KG7HVR, K0UO and 4 others like this.
  5. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you didn't know from the picture that this isn't something you are interested in, why come in and comment?

N7GWA, W4RAM, K2NCC and 8 others like this.
  6. KC5HWB

I asked the OWNER of this site where I should post, and his reply was "it is up to the moderators" so...if they don't move it and let it post here anyway, perhaps you should contact them and make your complaint heard.

K1MDA, KC2IEB and KD5BVX like this.
  7. W5AMG

W5AMG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

M6NBP, KB2KZT, KG7HVR and 3 others like this.
  8. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

His signature line where he says, in red, his CYA statement is "I could be wrong" couldn't be more applicable than here. lol Some people just look for places and ways to complain...

You're doing good, Jason.

W4RAM, K4WNY and KC5HWB like this.
  9. KC5HWB

Thanks Mark. It is good to see that some positivity exists here. I know that DV and hotspots aren't for everyone, it just always baffles me why people want to complain so much instead of just moving onto another post that might interest them. There are lots of great posts on this site, so it shouldn't be hard to find something for everyone.

ON5ZZ, W4RAM, K4WNY and 2 others like this.
  10. NJ7V

NJ7V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why must we always strain at a gnat. Honestly man, this sounds like a personal problem.

K4DDT, KT5OT, KI5AAI and 4 others like this.
  11. NJ7V

NJ7V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Says most people who never think outside the box.

KD5BVX and KC5HWB like this.
  12. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Ability doesn’t mean prerogative. (to finish the quote)

K4DDT, KD5BVX and KC5HWB like this.
  13. KV5E

KV5E Ham Member QRZ Page

Jason, thank you for spending your time and treasure to help grow the hobby and inform many of new technologies. Hobby radio has a lot of areas to explore and learn and there's time to find a niche or two that can be enjoyed by all.

Better to light a candle than curse the darkness IMHO.

I enjoy HF in all modes, but I also enjoy perceptually coded VHF/UHF and leveraging the benefits of IP linking as well.

KD5BVX and KC5HWB like this.
  14. KC5HWB

Hey Craig, great to see you here. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

I like that quote, but I heard it a bit differently "Don't curse the darkness, instead shine your own light for others to see"

KD5BVX likes this.
  15. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

You can do this with many radios so I kind of don't get it. I don't get the whole open spot thing either. I tend to just use the radio because I am not trying to impress other nerds. Have a friend who was all happy he can use his tablet to call CQ while sitting on the couch watching TV. It seemed just as pointless but that's just me.

KT5OT and KG7HVR like this.